Picking an engine...

drexian

So, I'm working(kinda?) on my first game right now, a 2D novelish trainer rpg(?!).Writing and concepting stuff, for now.The the big problem problem let's say, it's that I didn't actually settle on any engine as I have no programming capabilities, but I can do the rest(art,animation,writing and sound, kinda) and I'm willing to learn the language required for the engine and if needed hire an actual pro.So maybe, you guys could send me in the right direction, pretty please :)?

What I want to be able to do is:

• to implement stats  for the girls and MC and other characters

• constant animation during dialog(not 100% necessary)

• to be able to have animated sex scenes

Can't really think of other things right now

The engines I've lurked so far:

Tyranobuilder -  seems to be the easiest to use, as you could use it with no programming...Seems to support Live2d cubism wich would be quite nice for the dialog.Don't know if I can actually make it into an RPG

RPGMAKER MV[Javascript?] - I kinda like it as it has many elements I like wich can be improved on, but not really a big fan of the battles

RENPY[Pyton] - Like Tyrano the same problem no idea if I can really make it into a RPG

Unity[C#] - Lots of assests that would help, I think there's one that kinda helps potatoes that can't code like me?Everything kinda seems possible if you know what you are doing.But at the same time it kinda seems like it's the hardest of the ones I've listed.

As a last note I'm using Photoshop for drawing, AE and Dragonbones for animation.Any advice on wich engine should I pick?

Thanks alot :)!

I am not a fan of RPG Maker games, and of the games that I have tried, many were really just visual novels anyway so as I see it the creator made a poor choice of platform. As you have said, you are not a fan of battles, and unless you have some, why use RPG Maker?

I'm not familiar with Tyranobuilder but Ren'py makes a good platform for VN's.

i don't want to discourage you, but you need some experience to code an rpg game. it is not a matter of learning the language, but to actually knowing what to do to achieve desired results - which data structures to use, which algorithms are best for specific problem. if you really want to try this, choose engine which is easiest and try to code a game structure. forget about graphics, images, animations and sound. just code the program using placeholders instead. only if you see some results and you know your capabilities, than you can spend some times on graphics and animations.

I kinda decided what I'll do, following your advices.Since I do want to obiviously have the whole story and game dialog written down and have a good part of art assets down it will take me a few months, that's for sure.Meanwhile, I'll try to learn in tandem a few hours/day the basics of coding and c#, as I don't think it will hurt if I have a basics understanding of this side.Maybe I might be able to use Playmaker before I bring in reinforcements?That being said I've settled on Unity as it seems to be the one least limited.While I'll do all that, I'll put some money on the side as my buddies are pretty much none xD, therefore I'll have to hire someone.

Time will tell what I'll achive.Thanks alot guys!

Archived