Odd bug with followers from the Companions faction

trees

So I've run into an odd bug that seems to be affecting Aela, Farkas, and Vilkas, and I haven't seen it documented anywhere before. Basically, the only dialogue they have is follower dialogue. And they ALL have it, all at once. Trying to dismiss them through dialogue does nothing.

Which would be fine if they actually followed me around. Despite technically being followers, all they do is sit at Jorvaskrr and do their idle routines. Which is *similar* to a documented bug where if one of them is a follower and you take a Companions quest, they stick around at Jorvaskrr until the quest is completed. Except I don't have any outstanding quests from the Companions. 

Is there a way to reset their follower behavior? I tried out-and-out resetting their AI using the resetAI command but nothing seemed to work. 

And before anyone says mods... it's possible, but therein lies the problem. I cleaned out my Skyrim and did a fresh install when I returned to the game after about a six month break. I'm not sure if I had anything like a multiple followers mod installed, nor am I certain if installing one would fix the issue. Regardless, nothing I've installed since doing the clean install should affect them, as this bug was one I started noticing well before I started adding mods to this install.

Archived