Tips for bone weighting in this outfit?

Mud

So I've been working on fixing the weights for my Neptune follower's outfit in Outfit Studio, since the copy weights function has rather undesirable results on this outfit, which has been no easy task since I'm barely even qualified to be called a novice at this sort of thing. It's mostly been doable, smoothing out areas that look off one by one, but one particular part of it is giving me a whole lot of grief.

f2825f596ed34aa4aa7d33aba8df171d.png

There! Right there! Do you see them? Those pouch-ass-lookin' little fricks, all sinking into the body and leaving giant holes like they're too cool to just stay in place? How should I be weighting something like that?

Initially with copied weights I found that this caused the pockets to become deformed and deflated, as you'd have one side of the pocket having stronger weights than the other side, and the top half having weights the bottom half didn't, and so on. So I figured I'd remove all the weights affecting the pockets and only apply the NPC Pelvis bone's weight to them, lightly and uniformly as best I could so the whole pocket would stay in one piece. They did stay in place without deforming, but their movement didn't look quite right that way, so I started trying other bones as well, namely NPC Thigh, Spine, and Spine1. But the pockets are smack in the middle of the gradually changing weights for Spine1, and trying to apply roughly uniform weight from Thigh L/R and Spine alone to the pouches and a bit of the surrounding vertexes is causing them to detach wholly from the outfit, revealing that the pockets' vertexes aren't attached to the coat part. Could anyone describe to me how I should be weighting these so they stay in their spots with the rest of the outfit?

Here's pictures of my shitty attempts at weighting them so far:

Thigh R: 210cf22077cf47dd94c820b2f61669ce.png

Spine: 777ef5f4f424468999c781588966c72d.png

What am I supposed to do for Spine1?: 857a6aa85c40444387ada90865194921.png

Those pockets are big.

Normal bone weight copy will be tricky.

Rough Solution:

** increase radius of copy bone weights

** use masks to help along the way (use invert mask afterwards to save huge time)

** you will want bone weights from pelvis, and spine1, and spine 2 for sure (copy selected weights)  (don't hink you'll miss leg weights)

** you may have to manually finish off any gaps.

Archived