psc files

jancicc

hello, lately i get huge lagspikes, logs shows that Critter.psc, CritterSpawn.psc and Firefly.psc is looping.thing is i cant find them anywhere, as i know they are default scripts too, but when i checked bethesda's bsa files i only found "pex" not "psc" files. i went thru all my mods and their bsa(if they have) and none contained those scripts also, any idea what mod could have caused this? might be that i have deleted it already that why cant find which one is causing it :/

• 4 months later...

Hi,

not sure if this is going to be of any help to you but here it goes anyway :)

The “Critter.PEX” file you found in “Skyrim - Misc.BSA” actually IS the script you are looking for. However, that is the compiled binary the game is using (PEX = Papyrus EXecutable), not the human readable source code (PSC = Papyrus Source Code) the logs are referencing.

The vanilla PSC files are not included with the game. They are only distributed along with the Creation Kit. If you download the Creation Kit from Steam, you get a “/data/scripts/source” folder where all the vanilla source files are stored, including “Critter.PSC”.

Just for clarification: PSC files are not used by the game itself at all, the game can only utilize the compiled scripts. The Papyrus logs only refer to the PSC file and line number for debugging purposes by using debug data from the PEX files.

--

What might cause those errors?

From personal experience I can say that “a few” errors like that are quite normal. Those scripts control the butterflies, moths and bees flying around. Whenever I travel outside my logs show a couple of these errors (something failed in “Critter.PSC”, something failed in “CritterMoth.PSC”), but it has never hurt my game performance.

I am using the “Unofficial Skyrim Patch” which makes changes to these scripts. Bethesda made a few silly mistakes like using == (compare value) instead of = (assign value). My current character went through half a dozen updates of the USKP. I am not sure if the errors were always there or started to appear later. Anyway, I do get them but I am not flooded with them.

However, if you do get flooded with these errors (check the timestamps) ... something is definitely very wrong. Did you by any chance use the USKP for a while and then uninstalled it? That would be a huge No-No, causing a lot of “stranded” tasks on the Papyrus stack stored in your save.

Other mods that could cause; or might have accidentally left behind a legacy now causing; those errors are mods that make changes to butterflies, bees or flying insects in general.

--

I know from personal experience that nobody wants to hear this suggestion: But did you try to start a completely new character? If those errors really stem from some uninstalled mod that left behind active script fragments on the Papyrus task stack, a new character would not experience these problems.

Archived