Do I need DLCs to use most mods?

Darth_Falcon

I understand that some mods will probably require certain DLCs, but are there any good ones I can use with only the base game? It's currently on sale on amazon for $10, cheapest I've ever seen it, the learning curve always kept me from purchasing it before now.

EDIT: Didn't clarify, my bad, I mean for Crusader Kings 2

Yea there are parts of alot of the mods that rely on some DLC's own files and not just what their related patch did to the "core" game.  Most mods out there will list what ones you DO really need, but sometimes, if they werent well documented, it is kind of hard to know then which.    The base game has been going on sale on various sites (including steam) down to.. yea 10-15 or so.. but it is the DLC that will "getcha" .  Now another thing to consider.. is you dont have to buy all the dlc...  Most people even skip Sunset Invasion, and there are also music and skin packs you dont necessarily need.   Mostly if you want all the main game functions.. you get the DLC like, Conclave, Charlemagne, Horse Lords,  Legacy of Rome, Sons of Abraham.. etc..   Which those even go on sale at times.. so keep an eye out for that.

So id say keep an eye out for the upcoming winter steam sales.. im pretty sure you can get the main game and most of the "game engine" impacting DLC for close to "normal game price" if you wait til then.   Not counting Reapers, as that still is too new to discount.. and honestly... other than ..2 sub parts of the changes it makes do i really want. I could care less about expanding the death and disease mechanics in the game.  Im certainly waiting til Reapers is down to half the price it is now before I get it.    Speaking of which... most the DLC right now is 66 percent off on Steam. 

Yea there are parts of alot of the mods that rely on some DLC's own files and not just what their related patch did to the "core" game.  Most mods out there will list what ones you DO really need, but sometimes, if they werent well documented, it is kind of hard to know then which.    The base game has been going on sale on various sites (including steam) down to.. yea 10-15 or so.. but it is the DLC that will "getcha" .  Now another thing to consider.. is you dont have to buy all the dlc...  Most people even skip Sunset Invasion, and there are also music and skin packs you dont necessarily need.   Mostly if you want all the main game functions.. you get the DLC like, Conclave, Charlemagne, Horse Lords,  Legacy of Rome, Sons of Abraham.. etc..   Which those even go on sale at times.. so keep an eye out for that.

So id say keep an eye out for the upcoming winter steam sales.. im pretty sure you can get the main game and most of the "game engine" impacting DLC for close to "normal game price" if you wait til then.   Not counting Reapers, as that still is too new to discount.. and honestly... other than ..2 sub parts of the changes it makes do i really want. I could care less about expanding the death and disease mechanics in the game.  Im certainly waiting til Reapers is down to half the price it is now before I get it.    Speaking of which... most the DLC right now is 66 percent off on Steam. 

The problem is I only have Amazon credit, no actual cash, though HOPEFULLY that will change before the winter sale, that's why I specifically mentioned it being on amazon, Stellaris is also on sale there for $30.

Archived