Custom Head mesh Issue

Hey all

So I'm trying to import a custom head mesh into FO4, which has gone fairly well, but I'm trying to get a file ready for facial morphs. When I imported the the obj in blender the vert count is right, but when trying to shape expressions, it literally was coming apart at the UV seams! Any ideas on what to do?

1. The original mesh never had this issue, only after exporting to nifskope.

2. I tried smoothing normals.

3. Double checked export settings.

Thanks for any input! :)

Hey all

So I'm trying to import a custom head mesh into FO4, which has gone fairly well, but I'm trying to get a file ready for facial morphs. When I imported the the obj in blender the vert count is right, but when trying to shape expressions, it literally was coming apart at the UV seams! Any ideas on what to do?

I haven't played around with the FO4 head since it first came out but, as I recall, the head is split into at least two pieces? I would guess you only really need to worry about the "face" part; just keep the edges in place to maintain alignment with the rest of the head. I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about, but that's the only UV seams I can think of. The "face" uses the head texture while the back of the neck points to the body texture. So, you can't really combine them without changing the UVs and making a new texture.

If that's not what you're talking about, a screenshot might help us understand your problem better.

If your custom head is completely different from vanilla, I would just weld the vertices since you need to make all new morphs anyway. Alternatively, 3DS Max has soft selection which should keep the vertices together as you move them. And if it doesn't, you can snap them together. I'm less familiar with Blender's features, however.

Hey all

I haven't played around with the FO4 head since it first came out but, as I recall, the head is split into at least two pieces? I would guess you only really need to worry about the "face" part; just keep the edges in place to maintain alignment with the rest of the head. I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about, but that's the only UV seams I can think of. The "face" uses the head texture while the back of the neck points to the body texture. So, you can't really combine them without changing the UVs and making a new texture.

If that's not what you're talking about, a screenshot might help us understand your problem better.

If your custom head is completely different from vanilla, I would just weld the vertices since you need to make all new morphs anyway. Alternatively, 3DS Max has soft selection which should keep the vertices together as you move them. And if it doesn't, you can snap them together. I'm less familiar with Blender's features, however.

Yep, the vanilla head is has facial and rear portion. My mesh uses none of the vanilla assets, and is a single part (should of included that). I also tried exporting to FNV settings, and the same issues occurs.

I tried removing doubles prior to export, and then again in the nif, but none were present. After exporting the obj into Blender there were doubles present, and after removing those the seam issue was fixed, however the vert count had changed, and can't be used for facial expressions. =/

Is there a way to stop nifskope from taking a pair of scissors to the model?

Archived