Just a heads up. (Steam Mover)

DigitalP

Be wary if you and use Steam Mover. Whilst it's an invaluable tool. (Easily moves games from one drive to another) I use it to install games on my D:\ and move to my SSD I thought I'd try it with Fallout 4. Whilst it worked initially once I started installing more mods and eventually fucks your install up. 

Here is a link for those that are interested. I do highly recommend it but not for Fo4, Skyrim or other heavily modded games. 

http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

Be wary if you and use Steam Mover. Whilst it's an invaluable tool. (Easily moves games from one drive to another) I use it to install games on my D:\ and move to my SSD I thought I'd try it with Fallout 4. Whilst it worked initially once I started installing more mods and eventually fucks your install up. 

Here is a link for those that are interested. I do highly recommend it but not for Fo4, Skyrim or other heavily modded games. 

http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

I'm not entirely sure SteamMover is at fault there. SteamMover did as it was intended and instructed to. It's the fault of the mod installing software.

If you were using NMM and you moved your files to a different drive partition (think drive letter) then that right there is the problem. In such a case it's because NMM uses hard links in the file system when it activates a mod. Those only work on the same logical partition. Since the original path it expects the game to be on is a different partition it craps out. You may be able to resolve this particular problem in NMM by moving your virtual folders and/or using the Multi-HD install mode. A test alternative (because I haven't tried it) would be to use SteamMover to also move the virtual install folder to the same partition as the game.

Here's an example:

• Game is originally installed to D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4
  • Use SteamMover to move game to C:\Games\Fallout 4
  • NMM original virtual folder is D:\Games\Nexus Mods VirtualInstalls\Fallout 4\VirtualInstall
  • Use SteamMover to move virtual install to C:\Games\NMM Virtual Install\Fallout 4 (optionally \VirtualInstall - doesn't matter since it's a link, not the path NMM actually sees)

At this point if NMM is doing things properly, since it's extracting files to the virtual install folder (which is now actually on C:) and then linking them to the game folder (which is also actually on C:) it should work. I haven't actually tried it myself because my game and virtual folder real paths are already on my ssd and the mod archive download folder is linked to an old school hdd.

I can't speak to MO/MO2 since I don't use it. I suspect it may have a similar issue with it's own virtual file system driver. MO2 may not be susceptible to the issue since it's vfs works very differently than NMM's method of hard links.

Archived