How do you troubleshoot this thing?

galundrux

First of, hi, I'm pretty new here. It's been many years since I played Skyrim, since it was new actually, on Xbox of all things. Anyway, I have a great computer now and figured I'd give it another shot with the DLC's and all the cool mods and everything. So I've been working on making a "perfect" Skyrim, well, as good as it gets. But there are a few things I have huge problems trying to figure out.

Number 1. Some really popular mods causes me a huge amount of lag, not graphics lag, but lag when picking stuff up, opening the menu, talking to people. If you've tried the "wheel mod", the one that gives you a customizable wheel where you can add new commands, like sit or dance or whatever, that wheel takes up to 30 seconds to show on screen with certain mods running. The "Wonders of Weather" mod is the biggest culprit so far with "Wet and Cold" on a close second, and I don't understand how they can be so popular if that happens to everyone? It really makes the game unplayable for me, having to wait 5-10 seconds just to pick up a mushroom or open the inventory. Is there a known fix for this?

Number 2. Sometimes I get purple textures (only normal map and no diffuse). There are no missing textures, I've checked and rechecked. Someone in a thread somewhere suggested it could be a lack of vram, which would be understandable since I'm currently on win 10 which limits me to only 4gb vram. What I don't understand is that even with a new game, me running straight to the bench with the missing texture before it has time to use up all the vram, it's always purple, like it's been saved like that somewhere. Is there any kind of bug or something that causes previously working textures to get permanently corrupted or anything like that?

Number 3. How do I find out which mods are causing lag, besides from turning them off one at the time and running the game each time? I've read something about "papyrus spam", how do I check that? And something about save files containing information about what's causing a lot of script errors or something like that, how do I check that?

Thanks for all the great mods you guys have put up by the way, maybe if I can get the hang of this I'll attempt making one of my own eventually.

My hardware if that could be relevant:
CPU: 2x hexacore dual threaded Xeon's, 24 threads total. (only 12 threads in use)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080, 8GB RAM
GPU2: Nvidia GTX 780 (not in use)
RAM: 64GB 8x8 (16GB in use)
SSD: 2x Samsung 500GB in a RAID 0, (200GB being used)
All hardware interrupt latency has been resolved.
Windows 10 is running from Debian using Qemu and UEFI, GPU passthrough and USB 3 passthrough.
Have no problem running newer games such as Rise of Tomb Raider.

Have all Skyrim/DLC's/Falskaar/Wyrmstooth/Summerset Isle textures optimized with DDSopt. Not using DynDOLOD (yet). Mod order sorted by LOOT, with a few manual edits. Most textures are 2K or lower. Using Mod Organizer. Have not yet resolved conflicts with Wyrebash, but will get to that. Have cleaned most dirty files with TES5Edit, except a few that specifically said they should NOT be cleaned. I run the newest ENB (0.308) trough ENB Organizer with Vividian ENB enabled, no DoF. Have been using the S.T.E.P guides to get started and learn about modding for the past two weeks, I'm still very much a noob at this.

Hope some of you experienced people could give me some tips on my issues. I read somewhere that Skyrim could only use 4gb of vram anyway, so I don't see how increasing dx9 available ram could help? But tomorrow I'll be attempting to make a win 7 virtual machine to see if that resolves any of my issues. Any of you think increasing the vram for the ENB will have any effect on what seems to be papyrus lag and purple textures? Does the ENB use the same 4gb Skyrim uses? Could the large amount of regular ram I have have an adverse effect, there is a line in the ENB ini file about that? What's the adverse effects of using FNIS extended and a large amount of custom animations (up to 8000 I think)? I have a million more questions, but that will have to do for now :P

Have fun playing.

Archived