How do I convert a Esp to a ESM without breaking the quest?

Jenova23

I've tried using Wrye Bash's Copy to Esm feature, but it breaks quests added by the mod, which work with the esp version... How do I fix this? Is there a step I'm missing? I am converting a mod into a ESM so that I can edit it without losing changes each time the mod auther descides to update it. I've also tried starting a new game, but the problem still persists... Please help.

Use TES5Edit to add the ESM flag to the ESP. That should work. The file keeps the ESP extension, but is then a master.

Load the ESP into TES5Edit, click the File Header line on the left, then in the right pane, Flags, rt-click -> Edit. Checkmark in ESM, OK. Then close TES5Edit, confirming to save changes made.

Use TES5Edit to add the ESM flag to the ESP. That should work. The file keeps the ESP extension, but is then a master.

Load the ESP into TES5Edit, click the File Header line on the left, then in the right pane, Flags, rt-click -> Edit. Checkmark in ESM, OK. Then close TES5Edit, confirming to save changes made.

I loaded up the esp in TES5Edit, chaged the record flag to esm, then saved it, but the quest still fails to progress as a ESM.

Hum, it should work. I've done that with many ESPs. Does TES5Edit throw errors when you load the ESP? If so, they'll need fixing.

Btw, if you convert ESP to ESM, you'll still have to do the work all over again if the mod gets updated... unless you mean that you are making a patch for the ESP, which is why you need it to be a master. In other words, it isn't clear what you're trying to achieve... why you need to make the ESP a master in the first place.

Hum, it should work. I've done that with many ESPs. Does TES5Edit throw errors when you load the ESP? If so, they'll need fixing.

Btw, if you convert ESP to ESM, you'll still have to do the work all over again if the mod gets updated... unless you mean that you are making a patch for the ESP, which is why you need it to be a master. In other words, it isn't clear what you're trying to achieve... why you need to make the ESP a master in the first place.

Bassicaly yes. I've also changed the file extension to esm after converting it with Tes5Edit, because my mod is already using the pervious version as it's master, maybe tha'ts why it fails? My Master needs to be a ESM, otherwise my changes won't show up. I don't know if you keep it as a Esp when you use it, or if you change it after.

No need to change the file extension; just set the ESM flag and you have a master. It works, I've done this many times.

In fact, from a user point of view, the mod you're patching doesn't even need to be flagged as master. It only needs the flag while you are working on the patch in CK, otherwise CK will remove the original mod from the list of masters the patch refers to, thus breaking the patch.

So for example, my Blackthorn patch modifies the original Blackthorn. People who download my patch don't need to edit the original Blackthorn to set it as Master; it just works. But I had to flag the original in order to be able to create my patch for it.

Archived