Settler's will not assign

So I have done a lot of research and performed all the fixes that people have thrown out there and nothing works.  My settlers will no accept an order to guard, farm start a supply line or even move to another settlement.  Ive spent all day trying to find a clue into the mystery even uninstalling UF4P.  Any help from someone who may have fixed this?

Had the same issue as well a couple days ago. Ended up having to start a whole new game again because of it.

Settlers/Companions just wouldn't get assigned to anything. They all stood still doing absolutely nothing. At first, I had them all assigned. Had built up a rather nice Sanctuary and had Settlers assigned out the wazoo. Then out of the blue, all my food disappeared and all my settlers became unassigned. Couldn't reassign them after that. And it wasn't just Sanctuary. Happened at Tenpines as well, and there is only two people there. They just stood there. Wouldn't let me assign them to anything.

At first, I thought it was a bug with Don't Call Me Settler. A lot of people said that mod can cause it, and so I tried to uninstall it. Turns out, that was a bad idea as it crashed my game afterwards and corrupted my save. So I had to start all over again. Couldn't even use Cell Ripper to save my Sanctuary that I spent weeks building.

I've also heard that it is caused by going over the Settlement Budget as well. If you build more than you are allowed to, it causes the Settlement to glitch out. I mean, it makes sense and all, but I've never had that happen before. I always build a massive over budget Sanctuary and this is the first time this issue has happened.

Then on the other hand, people say it is just a regular game bug. Even the vanilla game has this issue. And it breaks your save and you can't do anything about it, but start all over again.

So wish I knew what was the problem, as there is way too many conflicting reasons as to why it happens. Sometimes it doesn't, and then when it does, it breaks your save and you have to start over. At least, that's my understanding as to how to solve this "glitch". Hopefully someone else more knowledgeable can help with this issue.

I've never had that happen and I go over my settlement budget all the time, with my current character and my previous two. However, I don't use any mods or console commands to increase the budget so maybe this has something to do with it since I've read that those types of mods can cause strange things to happen.

I've never had that happen and I go over my settlement budget all the time, with my current character and my previous two. However, I don't use any mods or console commands to increase the budget so maybe this has something to do with it since I've read that those types of mods can cause strange things to happen.

Well you can't go over budget unless you use mods or console commands. Otherwise, you get the default budget the game allows you to use. You need mods/commands to increase the budget so you can go over budget. ;)

Well you can't go over budget unless you use mods or console commands. Otherwise, you get the default budget the game allows you to use. You need mods/commands to increase the budget so you can go over budget. ;)

That's not true, you can increase your budget very easily without any mods or any console commands. I have done this from the start without any ill effects whatsoever. Here's how:

1. Drop all your weapons. The more modded your weapons are and the more weps you have, the better this works.

2. Go into Build mode and store each weapon in the Workshop. As you do this, your budget bar will decrease slightly with each wep your store.

3. Exit Build mode and now remove your weapons from the Workshop. If you've assigned any as favorites, these will even be preserved.

4. Repeat steps 1-3 as necessary.

Yes, it takes longer than a mod or console command but in the 3 playthroughs I've done so far, I've never experienced any strange effects from doing it this way. 

Archived