DDS Texture format help

Okay, this is a bit esoteric for me and specific to one mod, but I'm having trouble with reading and archive packing some DDS Diffuse textures.

The textures are from Wasteland Melody's Chinese Assault Rifle 1.4. It came with a BA2 which I unpacked and packed into my own files after giving the mod a quick swing. Problem is, the Creation Kit did not pack the diffuse maps into the archive, it did packed the normal and specular maps. I dumped the textures into my data folder for a quick test and discovered the game and Creation Kit will instantly crash if it attempts to load those diffuse maps. Swapped out my files for the files from the mods and everything worked correctly, game loaded the textures just fine just like the first test run.

All this throws me for a loop honestly and leaves me with a few questions:

How did Wasteland Melody pack their BA2 with those diffuse maps when the Creation Kit doesn't? Is there another BA2 packer that I'm unaware of - I've done some searching and didn't find anything.

All of my current tools (GIMP and Texconv) cannot even read the diffuse maps. Texconv has always allowed me to convert any DDS GIMP couldn't read so I could tinker, but Texconv (recently updated a week ago too) fails to read the diffuse maps. Is there another tool or program that is better at reading and converting DDS?

I can always roll back to an earlier version of the mod but would like to get some tips and insight on this for the future.

Archived