Tips for a knewb on creating Squall's Hair in 3DS Max

I attempted to do this a few years ago, but with college AFROTC and work, I never got around to really doing anything. Now that I finally graduated and don't have to leave for the AF for a few months, I have a bit more time.

There are a plethora of tutorials and things for 3D modding, but I'm a little lost on certain aspects and would like to know some things I haven't found in tutorials.

I tried using Blender, but couldn't get things to import properly so I must have messed up on the scripts installation or NIFSkope stuff. I am currently using 3DS Max 2012 now for my work.

I have a few questions for experienced 3d modelers to hopefully help guide me the right way.

First of all, I am creating the hair mesh from scratch, not importing an existing one. Are there any issues I will run into from this, or is it just as "easy" except for actually having to model it and uv map?

I have been making a bunch of planes for sections of the hair, the using the "copy instance" feature. Does this seem okay or am I missing something here as well?

Also, I imported the malehead.nif so I could get the size and shape correct. When I go to actually get my hair model, can I just delete the head and everything, than import it to another hair mesh, or do I have to extract the hair mesh portion of the file I made?

Here is what I have so far (doesn't look quite right with the stock male head but that will come later):

Squall%20Hair%20Progress%201_zpsewryru5p

I haven't UV mapped anything yet and still need to add more sections for the hair, but I'm getting close to the UV mapping part (which I need to look up how to do as well....)

Do these sections look like they will be good for hair as well? Or do you guys think they may come out a bit rough?

If anyone knows of any great tutorials I can look at I'd really appreciate it as well. I have been going over this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVrgw4qqYLQ (which

(which I looked at years ago when I initially thought about doing this), but it's pretty rough and goes over a lot of things that I don't need while it doesn't cover some of the things I have questions on. It has tons of great information, so I may keep using it, but something a little more organized would be cool too!

Just a quick update for anyone who may be interested (c'mon haven't you all been waiting to get Squall in Skyrim?!).

I think I'm on the right track, I added more planes to get the right amount (for now) and attached all separate planes and converted it to an editable poly.

I then figured out somewhat how to do the UV mapping so I think I'll be getting a rough texture on it tonight. It seems like it's going to be somewhat of a nightmare to straighten out all the planes to get the texture to apply correctly but it should be doable. I'm sure there is an easier way to go about it I just am not very familiar with it.

Squall%20Hair%20Progress%202_zpstbuqfxy7

I hope that once I get the texture applied, it won't be too difficult to swap the model to something that I can get in game. I have to see if the face I modeled looks correct. It's kinda hard to see if the head looks right without the hair. (and the current head I imported doesn't look anything like Squall either so it makes it seem a little weird.)

Well I can't figure out how to get the texture to apply in 3DS max. I unwrapped the UV Map, aligned everything, and threw a quick texture together. However, when I pick the texture, it doesn't apply it to the hair. The texture shows up in the UV map, but not on the object. If I chose the standard checkerboard pattern in Max, then it applies a checkered pattern to the hair. I tried using DDS, a different known working DDS file, and a bitmap file.

It seems like the hair mesh has no material assigned to it, but I don't know how to assign a material. Everything I look up tells you to grab the little dropper tool in the material editor window and click on the object you want to get the material from. This doesn't work for my mesh because it doesn't seem to have any material applied and I'm not sure how to go about applying one.

Well I figured out how to get the textures displayed after a lot of fiddling around. I can't seem to get the transparency displayed though. I never figured out how to do that in blender or when I messed around with 3DS Max years ago either, but I know it works in game for things I've messed with previously.

Squall%20Hair%20Progress%203_zpsmzy6g5mp

Now that I have this rough model, I have to figure out how to actually map it to the head and stuff, then get it in game through NIFSkope and the creation kit I imagine. I'll have to figure out how to make the hair color-able as well, but that's if I can even get it in game! Once I do manage to get it in game, I'll clean up the mesh a little bit and add some more pizzaz to make it look a little better since I'm getting the hang of things.

If I can get this working, I'm going to start trying to get a bit more Final Fantasy stuff added since I feel that content is lacking!

Well thank you!  I thought I would have more time today to figure things out and try and get this preliminary model in the game (to make sure I can get it working before doing some more work) but my Camaros distributor failed me while in town on the way back from talking to my AF recruiter.

I was stuck in Mesa (Arizona) in 110+ degree weather most of the day. Luckily I have tools with me all the time and was able to fix the issue. The distributor was a new one from O'reillys as of last year, so it was under warranty... but those parts stores parts aren't the highest of quality. Glad I got that fixed though. 

Now I can finally sit down and start working on this some more!

I don't even know how to create a simple ball in 3DS Max. xD 

Even seeing these vectored(?) models in RaceMenu makes me want to run away as fast as I can. >.<

So, made just from scratch it looks far better than anything I could produce. Though, I have to admit it looks a little 'unfluffy', like a bit glued to the head. 

Add a little more fluffiness and play around with textures/transparencies to 'hide' the actual meshes' explicit outlines and it should be perfect. :) 

If you're using Steam, there's a character model pack on the workshop, something like "The Ultimate Final Fantasy Charactermodel Pack for Skyrim" or something, Squall is included, it's a small set of fullbody armors that make your character look like Squall or whoever else. if you can load the mesh in 3DS Max it could maybe be a help to get his hair right. 

So fr that's all I can do for you. Keep up the good work!

Thank you! I did see that on the workshop and was considering downloading it to see if I can use some of the meshes and stuff as a template. I think if I can get this transparency working it will make a big difference. I just can't figure out how to do it yet. I tried importing it into NIFSkope but still no luck on the transparency. It might be a mesh issues that's not allowing transparency though because other textures that had transparencies to them weren't showing up as transparent either on my model.

I think if I can get the transparency working on these textures, it will look quite a bit better and then I will know what part of the meshes to edit or where to add some more pieces. I did add some more part of the mesh and thankfully figured out how to keep the texture map in tact when editing/adding parts:

Squall%20Hair%20Progress%204_zpsmuzia7dx

I added some more blocky pieces because some of the other hair models I looked up have a lot of those, but the transparencies in the textures really help make it look nice at the ends with those models. I'll see if I can figure that when I wake up tomorrow (or more like today). It may have to do with my material settings, or maybe it's a setting on the mesh itself!

If you know how to seperate meshes, you could maybe use it, as it's attached to the rest of the modymesh. 

As for the transparency issues - as I said before I don't know how to use 3DS Max, but you could open another hair mesh (any) or import it if you have to, and compare your material settings. Maybe that helps. 

As far as I know you could tweak material settings and lighting stuff in nifscope too - at least in an older version. I just can't figure out how to do it in the new one anymore. xD But as CK hates me anyway I didn't bother. 

Buuut as I'm running WIn7 now I will give it a try anyway, hoping it works now so I can get back to work editing my stuff too. (If only mostly for personal usage as I alter stuff other modders have created a lot, because I can't produce meshes by myself :D

I subscribed to that mod but haven't opened Skyrim up yet through steam so that it hasn't downloaded it yet. I'll try and check it out when depending on how much more stuff I do to this hair mesh.

I did get transparency working somewhat, but it's not perfect yet. For some reason, the DDS file I have doesn't show up as transparent in 3DS max as it should be according to the alpha channel in the GIMP (well at least I think. I could easily be doing something wrong.)

It doesn't seem to have any partial transparency, so the end of the hair mesh is a little more blocky than it should be since it can't get the smooth transitions from the partial transparencies. I'm making some progress though so that's good. I'm going to add more to the mesh, and then see if I can get a little more texturing done to make this hair look even better. I've been trying to copy how the KS Hairdos are done http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/70363/? but can't seem to get it right. I've even tried copying some of the textures exactly, but the transparencies seem to be getting messed up in the process of the new DDS file.

I know it's doable, I just have to figure out what I'm doing wrong! Once I get this hair done, I want to make a more detailed version of Squalls clothing. I actually think that will be easier because the mesh will be less complicated (well when it comes to individual pieces and UVmapping) and I won't have to deal with transparencies! The hair thing comes first though. 

I've waited years to see a good Squall/Cloud model come out but I haven't seen too much! There are some great things out there, but they more armors or weapons, so the face/body portion doesn't quite look correct (especially if you want to equip other armors etc.) so I'm hoping I can make something good here!

While the texture and mesh quality could use some improvement on this file, I was SUPER excited when I saw it because it seemed to fit perfectly and be a really good representation of what I wanted 

I learned though that it wasn't ever released.... and that it was a armor as well, so the eyelids would never blink etc. If I can't make something good enough, at least I'm having some fun trying now though, but I'll keep at it.

Well first, the mod in the video actually WAS released - Tidus wasn't. (I wanted him so bad xD) It's exactly one of the "armors" contained in the mod you just subscribed to.

As for Squall's clothes: There is a mod that adds them on the nexus: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/30706

While the meshes are quite decent, the textures are not. I've been thinking about adding (creating) better textures for it, that fit the original ones, but haven't gone to work yet. If you can/like to draw textures you may give it a go.

As for DDS files in general: Oblivion used to use 2 different kinds of DDS files, one labeled as DXT5 (I remember I had to use DXT5 once for some animated fire textures, but I'm not sure if Skyrim does that too, it doesn't apply to hair anyway) 

Hair and any other textures must be in DXT3 format. As you have a lot of options to chose from while saving a texture in either format, you can probably mess it up easily. I've had some trouble in Photo Shop too, to make textures appear correctly in the game - not sure about 3DS Max though. Therefore I'm using Paint.Net to save a file as .DDS. PDN's deafault DXT3 settings work perfectly with transparency and all that stuff. :) (PDN requires you to have NET Frameworks installed, but I think most people already have 4.5 or 4.6.1 installed. If not, it's free anyway.)

post-1250757-0-46411300-1469752694_thumb.jpg

Ah okay thank you for the information. I have been choosing DXT3 for the format when I export the textures but wasn't sure if I was choosing the right one! For the workshop file, the picture you posted shows a lot more detail than the steam workshop file did, but there are some subtle difference in the face model and textures than from the youtube video one, and I believe the jacket model as well. Its a lot closer than I first originally thought. I know I'm being extraordinarily picky on this and don't mean to come across like whining baby! I also saw and downloaded the Squalls Clothes mod you linked to!

I think I will use those as a template and create better textures for them! The model does seem to be done fairly well, but the textures do need some improvement which shouldn't be too difficult for me to do when I get around to it. I ended up downloading a body mod to make the male characters less "Bruce Willis" buff because let's face it, Squall (or any Final Fantasy character) is not that bulky and looks a little out of place. I think I will adapt that clothing mod to fit the skinnier model so it's a little more fitting (if I can get around to making it work properly.) I should be able to do something like this. On my old computer, I was making a T-rex for oblivion. I never finished it... I got it in game and walking around, but never figured out how to trigger attack animations. I only made walking, idle and running animations, but I made a placeholder attack animation that never triggered and then I got busy with school.  Here's a crappy old picture of it that I edited in paint to give my friend a hard time

(he was in to a lot of rap music in highschool and wore too baggy of clothing, the model looks a lot better without the Microsoft pain overlay I did....) T-unit_zpsbsxdsgom.png

I ended up losing the textures/skeleton and animations I did for it when I updated my old computer, but I still have the model and I believe it's UV mapped. Adding a t-rex into this game is something I've really wanted to do as well so maybe I'll be able to do that if I can at least get one good Final Fantasy character in! Man.. looking at that old model makes me sad I lost the textures and stopped working on it! My old computer is at my girlfriends house so maybe the next time I'm over there I'll grab the model and everything else I have for it and put it on my computer.

Anyways, I'm saying I have the patience to make some good stuff if I don't get distracted so I think I'm going to go through with at least this hair model!

Just so I don't unnecessarily bump, I'll add my update picture now:

Squall%20Hair%20Progress%205_zpsij72m350

I'm going to try and see if I can get it in game tonight and see how it looks on a character before trying to improve it any more.

Awww just make sure to PM me a download link if you should ever got on Squall's clothing. :D I actually like it. (I liked FF VIII best anyway)

The T-Rex looks pretty cool. Back in Oblivion, I converted a model of a Smart car from a racing game. I managed to get its textures attached to it correctly, I could maintain all transparencies or re-add them, everything. I could even make it a mount, that would hide your character if you used it. (as you would hop in anyway)

The only Thing I NEVER managed to do was adding collision to it. :( So it basically, you could walk right through it, push it into a wall or into the floor and stuff, and if you drove it, it ended up acting like most flying mods did - and still do, no collision on anything. :s

Eventually, I gave up on it and placed it into my garden for decoration. I just love these cute little Smarts so much. xD My flat is full of models. 

I don't like the default vanilla body either. I'm using SoS, with a custom bodymesh and textures. (It's called Milkdrinker and can be found on the nexus. I'm using the slimmer version with thinner arms and legs, not the totally skinny one, as its shape would be too feminine.) That looks quite decent. Just how I want it. :D

Haha yeah I'm actually just downloaded the milkdrinker one as well, so that's the one I'll be trying to change the clothes to. I'll definitely put up the clothing if I manage to make it better and working in the game. I've never messed with modeling clothing, but from some research I've done on modeling for this hair, apparently it isn't as complicated as doing hair.

I have to say, FFVIII is my favorite as well. It was the first one I played so maybe nostalgia has a bit to do with it. I LOVE FFVII and FFIX as well (my brother owned X and sold it before I got past the blitzball tutorial because he was mad I played the blitzball so much so I never really got to play it). I'd say IX has the best music and atmosphere, but I like the characters and story from VIII the most. 

The collision thing was a little tricky in the Oblivion stuff as well. I did get the collision working for my T-rex, so you couldn't walk through it. However, the T-rex imploded and jiggled around on death... it was like it turned into water or something. I never was able to figure that out either..... Maybe it's not as hard with Skyrim tools?

Too bad I was too late on downloading the Havok Tools for 3DS max. I see that's what people use for custom animation and also hair physics, but since Microsoft bought out Havok, the tools are no longer available for download. I was able to get a hold of the tools for the older version of 3DS max, but not 2012.... At least I can still make models and stuff though!

That's exactly what I think about FF VIII and FF IX as well! :o

I've played FF IX first, though. I really liked it, it had just the right music and atmosphere, and then I got FF VIII, and I really liked its characters a lot more. :) 

Used to play Blitzball like crazy in FF X too! It was pretty fun, and still is, I got the remastered version of X and X-2 for my PS Vita. 

I've never played FF VII though - not further than reaching the SHINRA HQ, as it used to crush on me (PC version) and would never ever load my savegame anymore. I didn't like it at all anyway. I still don't get all the FF VII hype out there. Cloud is a whiny and nerve-straining idiot, and the whole story is too dark imho. 

I haven't played any FF game after X-2 too, except for the games that came out for the Ninty DS, there's one with graphics that look like the whole scenes were painted, I actually liked that. 

At least you got the collision working, I didn't. But yeah, who'd chose a Smart (no matter how cute it might be) over a Honda motorcycle if he could have one? :P So it'll be decorating my main house's garden for good. (Yup, idc about lorefriendlyness at all if something is just too good to ditch it.) 

We seem to have a very similar taste. I hope you'll be successful on the clothes. And don't get distracted easily. Although I am distracting you, ain't I? 

Haha no it's good to take small breaks here and there so I don't get too worn out over learning this 3DS max and Gimp stuff over again.

I always thought it would be awesome to have a vehicle in Oblivion when I played that as well... I always thought about how difficult it would be to get it working correctly (like suspension animations and doors opening closing etc.) I never actually considered working on a vehicle though...

I have thought about modeling my Bronco for Skyrim though, just as a decoration so to speak. I have a 96 Bronco and a 91 Camaro that I've spent most of my money and free time on.  I finally did my dream project of adding a 7.3 powerstroke turbo diesel in my Bronco, so I'm super excited about that. I'm just waiting on getting my computer chip back for the performance injectors I put in it. I bought my 91 Camaro (for $1100) in anticipation of my diesel swap for the Bronco. Of course, I then taught myself how to paint vehicles, learned how to stitch so I could redo my door panels and shift boot etc etc on the Camaro (which was in pretty awful shape when I bought it but now I get compliments all the time in it). I put a lot of work restoring the Camaro, but then got an excellent deal on a 95 F250 that had a a blown transmission with a 7.3 diesel so I could get my Bronco project done. It may seem stupid, but one main reason I added the diesel into my Bronco was that it can get much better MPG than the old V8 and I can make it run on biofuel. My next dream project is to fabricate a forklift or other electric motor to it so I can run a hybrid diesel Bronco that has tons of power and gets great mileage! Anyways, enough about my vehicles.

Anyways, now that I have pretty much all the vehicle projects done (and also finally graduated college with my engineering degree), I can finally get back to 3D modeling and modding for Bethesda games. I really wanted to make Squall for Oblivion, but I didn't know enough back then to do it. The T-Rex was my first modeling attempt that seemed to go pretty well, but I never finished it. Actually, I made a grenade as my first mod for Oblivion. It was really fun to pull then pin then drop it next to unsuspecting NPCs.... I'm almost done editing my first rendition of the hair in NIFSkope, so I think I'll be able to test it tonight still.

Wow, that sounds pretty awesome. I'm afraid I'd spend a lot of money and effort on my car too - as far as it is allowed over here - if I was allowed to drive one, that is. But I'm not, and I'll never be. So I need to compensate that with video games and putting models of cute little cars everywhere. :P But overall it's not as bad as it sounds. 

My first attempt in modding were colored flames for Oblivion. Especially for torches, so not every fire has this boring orange color and then make them emit light colored accordingly. Someone used them in his/her mod, to create other fireplaces or lamps out of it. I love the mod and how they were used. :) 

Then I did a few armor mods, mostly for myself. A lot of texturing done, but as I altered original files created by someone I didn't share them. 

I did some races, too. Even a scripted one, which was my first attempt in scripting at all. So I had a race that was born out of fire, therefore, fire could heal them, instead of harming them. Swimming in lava didn'T harm them too. But as a result of that, they did take damage over time by rain, even more rapidly if they jumped into water. (walking over it would work fine) Off course they were weak to water/ice and immune to fire, as it would actually heal them. Although that's quite tricky to play. Either you had to make sure to always have something around to seek shelter from the rain, or use console commands to 'cheat' good weather. :P But it was fun. 

Make some screenshots when you test the hair. :) 

That sounds like a pretty cool idea for a race! I don't know what I'd do if I wasn't able to drive cars.. they are such a huge part of what I do! I also live out on a ranch thats about 15 miles away from the nearest store so I don't have much of a choice out here! I do love to play tons of video games music and stuff though.

As for my hair in game, the first attempt looked pretty terrible in game! The hair was mostly transparent so it looked pretty bad. There was something wrong with the bsshaderlightingproperties NIFSkope branch or something from the file I coped. I ended up copying that from a stock hair and it looked much better! It still needs quite a bit of work though. The head model I made with the racemenu plugin in game doesn't look all too good in game either. The model in 3Ds max looks pretty fitting, but I'm thinking it's the textures that look off.

I'll see if I can get some more work done today and post some screens of the progress. It was storming out here yesterday and we lost internet (satellite out here) so I couldn't do anything online. Also, I was busy most of the day helping my friends with their cars, which I will be again for a good portion of the day too. I should have some time at the end of the day to get more work done on this though!

Send some of the storms over here. I like them. :D 

Playing around with racemenu is pretty hard, at least for me. I'm so glad I managed to get my character looking like he does. Back in Oblivion my first character looked horrible and the proportions were totally wrong. Finally I gave up and used a fitting headmesh that didn't need too much customization instead.

So I kinda wonder how I managed to do it in Skyrim, as he's still a darkelf, and well you know how ugly they are per default. xD 

He may not be perfect but I love the outcome. 

Over here it's not all too bad without a car, I have everything I need within a range of 5 minutes by foot, and I'm only living in an suburbian area of my town. 

Weeell where are the screenies? ;)

Okay so I MAY have time tomorrow to get more work done.... I've been way busier than I thought, and have a bit of stuff I need to get done around my house tomorrow as well... Things keep adding up!

I did get some more done on the model. I'll get some screenshots up soon! Hopefully things settle down for me a bit so I can get some more time!

Haha I thought I'd have time this weekend to get back to work but probably not! I was headed towards my brothers place to work on his friends car and my wheel flew off my Bronco while driving....

I spend the whole day trying to get the lug nut studs out of the axle to no avail.... so I pulled the axle and am going to borrow my neighbors press to get them out. Then I can get the new ones in and put my truck back together! The wheel took the wheel well trim with it when it came off so I have to buy that too! My poor beautiful truck! I did manage to limp my truck back home on some spare lug nuts thankfully.

Anyways, I did change the hair mesh a little more and got it in game. I was using KShairdo's HDT lighting properties for Squall's hair previously and that made it partially invisible. I think those hairs have several lighting properties so I probably copied over the wrong one because when I used a stock Skyrim hair lighting property, the hair was no longer partially transparent! I didn't take any screen shots yet though.. that was a couple days ago I got that working as well, I haven't been able to work on it too much these past few days.

I think when I'm "done" with the hair (at least where I think it's close enough for now), I may try and edit the face texture so that it looks more anime-ish (since all final fantasy characters are very anime-like. I have a different "younger" face texture now, but it still doesn't look quite right.

Awww... poor truck. >.< Fortunately nothing more did happen. 

I hope you'll be able to repair everything soon.

I'm missing the scar Squall had among the options for scars. I haven't tried any custom scars yet though. 

Good that you got rid of the transparency problem with your hair. I'm looking forward to see it in the game. :o

• 2 weeks later...

So it's been a little while and I've been a little busier than I've expected! I got distracted and started learning more about NIFSkope and Bodyslide (when I've had a little bit of time) so when I do start messing with adding things in game and trying to make the outfits, I'll know what I'm doing.

I have a much better understanding of the NIF files now for textures and body part allocations. I still have a lot to learn, but I think I can get things in the game pretty decently now once I make good models etc. I've done more modding with the Morrowind construction kit, and things were a lot more simple back then (scripting included! adding global variables then was a piece of cake!) Making the amor addon, then armor, then making sure the NIF files had the proper body allocation corresponding to the creations kits settings held me up for a while.

One thing I want to really try and mess with is getting a good body/head shape for Squall's character. In Max, the hair looks pretty decent for now (at least I think. I'll probably edit it more once I get more things inplace!) It's pretty hard to edit the body and face for male characters with the current setup. I haven't tried yet, but I think I can edit the milk-drinker body in Bodyslide and try and make a new body with different sliders from there (I've been messing around with the UNP bodies since that's what seems easily supported so far).

I imported the head file I made with the racemenu plugin in Max and compared that mesh to the standard head mesh. It looks much better with the hair! When I did try it in game (a while back before I made more changes to the hair), it didn't look so great. I think part of it was the body still not looking right, but mainly the face textures not being correct for the shape I had. I'll have to figure out how to get a good face texture....

Anyways, here is the comparison of the current hair mesh with the default head and the head mesh I made in racemenu:

Comparison_zpsmjnq1ft3.png

I think with the proper face texture/normal(or msn) map, it should start to look pretty close. I think it will be easier to get the head shape closer to what I want with proper textures as well. Everything relies on each other to get done, so I'll have to do iterations to get it just right! I don't know how to make a good .msn map though so that may be kinda tricky when it comes to making the proper face texture. I know the gimp can do normal mapping, but msn mapping is mostly done with a 3d program so it's completely new to me. I'll want to see about how to change the texture for just the player character as well, and not everyone else. I would think a custom race would be able to do that, but I don't know how difficult setting one up is. If it's not too hard, then it may be a little easier/better just putting the edited body/face meshes/textures in the custom race folders!

One other thing I've REALLY wanted to work on (that "requires" me to have the squall character done) is to try and implement limit breaks into the game. Ones like Renzokuken, Blasting Zone and obviously Lionheart would be super fun to have in the game. This would be all new grounds for me, but I think I'd start tackling this by messing with killmoves.

The only thing that worries me is I can't get the havok tools anymore, so I don't know if I can do any animations for Skyrim. Things I read suggest that I may be able to REPLACE animations by using Max if I don't have the havok tools, but I can't make new ones. If that's the case, then potentially it's still possible for me to do this and just replace certain killmove animations. Obviously it's a pretty big feat, but it's something I thought would be cool in Morrowind, thought about starting in Oblivion, and now am seriously considering doing for Skyrim (which maybe I can export to Fallout?) Anyways, here's a youtube video of all the killmoves:

Anyways, that's a ways off. I have to get the hair/body/face done first, then the outfit! Once those look good, I'm going to try my best to start animating. The T-rex walk animation I did for Oblivion was pretty good... too bad I lost it. I think I'd be capable of making decent animations though for this.

Enough rambling though, I need to get back to work on finishing this hair first. Then the head mesh/textures is next!

So I did a little more messing around and finally took some screenshots in game.

I've spent several days messing around with NIFSkope/3DS max trying to figure out what I've been doing wrong but can't quite figure it out. I believe the ENBs may have a part to do with some of the transparency issues I'm having, but also the actual textures I made in the GIMP probably haven't something off with them as well.

The hair was very transparent in the "live another life" starter cell, and I probably did 15 different renditions of textures, 3DS max settings, NIFSkope settings etc and couldn't quite get things looking right.

I decided to take a look at what the hair looked like on my female character that wasn't in that cell and it seemed to come out pretty decently (good enough for me to move onto figuring out the face .msn and texture files.)

20160821193309_1_zpsqf4lgurp.jpg

I ended up using the "showracemenu" plugin to change the character to a male and load my preset face I've been slowly working on:

20160821202036_1_zpsdclplyof.jpg

20160821193608_1_zps9arkqr7x.jpg

For some reason, the hairline mesh doesn't seem to be displaying under the hair mesh so there are still issues with it.. but it's starting to look presentable.

I think that getting the proper .msn map for the head will make a big difference in having the face look correct. The "bumpmapping" (or whatever .msn files do) emphasizes depression in the wrong spot for the chin and jawline. The model itself I think it pretty close to being the correct shape, I just need a good texture now.

If anyone has any tips for making .msn files in 3DS max I'd love to hear them! 

Archived