Marie Rose Dress WIP

So I'm trying to port this dress into fallout 4, but I'm having an issue with the uvmap textures that came with the model. My problem is that they're a lot of uvmaps, the model displays correctly on 3dsmax and maya but in order to use the model correctly on skyrim, I would have to merge all these uvmaps into one in order to create the dss file. This is my first day using maya and 3ds max so I'm fairly new to this but I would greatly appreciate any help. 

In short, How can I merge multiple uvmaps into only one that covers the whole object. 45af692fab33481fbc03ff4d94582b7d.png

There are mutiple ways depending on you.

You can export the model set as is, and assign each piece a new material (people usually do this in Nifskope), and from there you can assign several materials fallout materials (the BGSM stuff) per seperate mesh part (so boots will get a material, so does the corset, skirt, etc).

This will bypass the need for a single UV map, but it's not very performance friendly, and can become messy in the long run (+ no retextures, since people will need to edit each part on it's own one by one + long time).

For single UV, you will need to essentially 'collapse' the different parts into a single mesh/model. In Max, you can do this with something called 'Attach' under Edit Poly modifier. You'll see it when you try.

It will also ask you during attachment, if you want to keep the unqiue material/UV/Channel setup or want to get rid of it, I personally don't know if fallout currently supports material channels or anything like that (ei; 1 single model, but using some fancy stuff to have each mesh part be it's own unique UV), so I can't give advice here other then "yes, collapse them together".

This will bring all the different pieces together under 1 mesh, and 1 UV area, but please note it will look messy for UV's since they most likely will be all occupying the same 1:1 grid. You will need to manually edit so they all are spead out on the grid. I personally suggest moving around the UV chunks of the different pieces around before collapsing them, so when they are attached, you're not swiming in random millions of white lines + it will be easier to rearrange the textures in a single map this way.

This can be somewhat inefficient, since the chunks you move won't be optimized in terms of space area usage, but it's the easiest.

If you're comfortable with more complex stuff, you can look into something called "baking" and "projection", basically, project the original version of the Dress's textures (no edits) on to the modified version of the Dress.

There are mutiple ways depending on you.

You can export the model set as is, and assign each piece a new material (people usually do this in Nifskope), and from there you can assign several materials fallout materials (the BGSM stuff) per seperate mesh part (so boots will get a material, so does the corset, skirt, etc).

This will bypass the need for a single UV map, but it's not very performance friendly, and can become messy in the long run (+ no retextures, since people will need to edit each part on it's own one by one + long time).

For single UV, you will need to essentially 'collapse' the different parts into a single mesh/model. In Max, you can do this with something called 'Attach' under Edit Poly modifier. You'll see it when you try.

It will also ask you during attachment, if you want to keep the unqiue material/UV/Channel setup or want to get rid of it, I personally don't know if fallout currently supports material channels or anything like that (ei; 1 single model, but using some fancy stuff to have each mesh part be it's own unique UV), so I can't give advice here other then "yes, collapse them together".

This will bring all the different pieces together under 1 mesh, and 1 UV area, but please note it will look messy for UV's since they most likely will be all occupying the same 1:1 grid. You will need to manually edit so they all are spead out on the grid. I personally suggest moving around the UV chunks of the different pieces around before collapsing them, so when they are attached, you're not swiming in random millions of white lines + it will be easier to rearrange the textures in a single map this way.

This can be somewhat inefficient, since the chunks you move won't be optimized in terms of space area usage, but it's the easiest.

If you're comfortable with more complex stuff, you can look into something called "baking" and "projection", basically, project the original version of the Dress's textures (no edits) on to the modified version of the Dress.

Thank you. I separated the object into multiple pieces and assigned each part a separate material and it works perfectly in Maya. However, when I import it into nifskope and add the material file the textures do not display correctly. I noticed that this only happens with the meshes that have these uv lines

bc1ff5e6a47843999904e909286ca0bb.png

Other than that, the following meshes display their textures fine, 

a7f0a010f6e649248a05c658fa60b873.png

Do you have any idea what might be causing this issue? This is the only thing I'm having trouble with, other than that, the model is ready to work in fallout 4.

To show you my problem, this is how the dress is displayed in nifskope, 

710f6ad8540a4753a744a9c24c4fe67c.png

This is what it looks like in maya,

b49a6cd23d204c488c75d87f2c7ac403.png

The only meshes that display perfectly, are the ones without the white lines in the uveditor.

Archived