Crashing after spouse is killed

Frezzy

Hi, basically, I have this problem where my game crashes right after the cryo pod freezes for the second time after the execution scene. I can load games after that point fine, but starting a new game is impossible due to this crash.

I have quite a few mods installed, but I have to completely remove them and return Fallout 4 to vanilla in order to start a new game. Simply disabling them in NMM doesn't work, which makes it somewhat difficult to locate the faulty mod. Then again, it could be something messing with my settings that I don't know about.

Anyone else had this problem?

• 3 months later...

Hi, basically, I have this problem where my game crashes right after the cryo pod freezes for the second time after the execution scene. I can load games after that point fine, but starting a new game is impossible due to this crash.

I have quite a few mods installed, but I have to completely remove them and return Fallout 4 to vanilla in order to start a new game. Simply disabling them in NMM doesn't work, which makes it somewhat difficult to locate the faulty mod. Then again, it could be something messing with my settings that I don't know about.

I'm having this exact same problem too.  Any solutions?  I'm open to suggestions.

I'm having this exact same problem too.  Any solutions?  I'm open to suggestions.

Why don't you get together with the OP and compare Load Orders?

I found the problem.  It's the Fallout4Custom.ini file in the My Documents/My Games/Fallout4 folder.  Get rid of this file and the game runs smoothly... but, of course, that means no mods.  So the only way to get past the cryo pods is to remove Fallout4Custom.ini and put it back in your documents folder AFTER you get out of Vault 111.  As long as you're in Vault 111, the Fallout4Custom.ini file will crash the game.  Seriously.  No joke.

So make sure you get everything you want in Vault 111, including the Cryo gun, (console command:  unlock) because you can never return unless you take Fallout4Custom.ini out of your My Documents folder or unless Bethesda fixes this issue.  

I found the problem.  It's the Fallout4Custom.ini file in the My Documents/My Games/Fallout4 folder.  Get rid of this file and the game runs smoothly... but, of course, that means no mods.  So the only way to get past the cryo pods is to remove Fallout4Custom.ini and put it back in your documents folder AFTER you get out of Vault 111.  As long as you're in Vault 111, the Fallout4Custom.ini file will crash the game.  Seriously.  No joke.

So make sure you get everything you want in Vault 111, including the Cryo gun, (console command:  unlock) because you can never return unless you take Fallout4Custom.ini out of your My Documents folder or unless Bethesda fixes this issue.  

I managed to fix my problem by uninstalling a texture mod. It was called GraFix Texture Overhaul - Architecture. The author removed this part of the mod from his overhaul and it didn't show up in my nexus modifications so I didn't know what the issue was before I returned my game to vanilla and just reinstalled mods little by little.

I managed to fix my problem by uninstalling a texture mod. It was called GraFix Texture Overhaul - Architecture. The author removed this part of the mod from his overhaul and it didn't show up in my nexus modifications so I didn't know what the issue was before I returned my game to vanilla and just reinstalled mods little by little.

This is definitely the solution, folks.  Disabled this texture pack and the game works now.   According to the mod author on the Nexus he found out it was the Quarry Folder within the Architecture Package and if any of you are willing, take out that folder and install that mod manually without the Quarry Folder if you so wish.  

The mod author hasn't updated the mod since February and since it's August right now, I highly doubt he's ever going to return.

EDIT:  Or just repack the textures into a new .zip/.rar without the Quarry folder and then install with your preferred mod manager.

thats part of the game, you commit suicide knowing you lost your companion and child and cant live on anymore. did your game uninstall itself also?

Archived