Followers: Skill/Attribute Calculation question (crosspost from Nexus)

UZero

Maybe I'll have more luck with this here, since I'm impatient and the Nexus forums don't seem to have very many people looking at help topics. :P

-----

(Skip to the end for the TL;DR, lots of calculation fails ahead)

-----

So I've been trying to remake an old and abandoned follower mod and I've gotten all the spells and passives stuff down for the moment, but something bothers me. The companion has awfully high attributes and skills, both in base and offset. We're talking like... 

Magicka: 604
Magicka Offset: 450
Magicka Class Weight: 3

For the moment I've been editing this all in TES5Edit, not the CK, but if I'm understanding this correctly that means that the follower has a starting Magicka value of... 1054? So I wanted to try and turn that down a bit, get them roughly on the same level as other followers, maybe with adjustments to do a 10-100 level spread. Maybe with a small bonus due to their race, but still. But then I started trying to figure out how other followers' stats level. Here's what I know, or at least read:

NPCs gain 8 skill points per level.
NPCs gain 10 attribute points per level.
NPCs always gain 5 Health per level, before attribute points are spent.
Skills and attributes are weighted by priority.

I decided to pick what I thought was an easy example to get my facts straight, Sven.
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Sven
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Sven

Immediately something's up. Those two different wikis produce completely different information. The wikia one has his base attributes correct (91/67/67), UESP has 50s across the board. The UESP calculations don't match anywhere near the Wikia ones. Consider he's level 20, so Health=6.2*20+50=174? In fact, using that calculation but replacing the 50 with 91 works out better (6.2*20+91=215, or for sake of argument if you d, 6.2*19+91=208.8, where the Wikia says 208). And then skills... how does the weighting work exactly? Sven is considered a Lumberjack. I would have thought weighting would have been dividing the skill value up by the total skills, distributed in equal parts. So Lumberjack is 2+2+2+3+1+1+3+1+3=18, 8/18=0.4 (rounded off) per weight point. Enchanting is a 3, so 1.2 per level? So, if we don't count level 1, 1.2*19=22.8, then add his base value, so 22.8+22 = 44.8. The Wikia claims that his max enchanting is 40. What? I'm way off here somehow, but I'm not sure what I'm missing. Either these numbers on the Wikia/UESP aren't accurate, or I'm completely off-base with how these calculations work.

EDIT:
No, my calculations are definitely wrong. I just tested the custom follower in-game, level 10 (minimum), getav Destruction was 67. NPC has a base of 49, and with my calculations for the class (with gains for 9 levels) it should have come out to 70.6. I can not for the life of me figure out how it determines where to put what with each level!

-----

So to reiterate the question, how the heck does Skyrim calculate NPC per-level skill and attribute gains? Considering the total weights are much higher than the given points to spend (or in the case of attributes cause them to be unevenly distributed), how does it determine what goes where each level? Am I correct with the (Points/TotalClassWeight)*StatWeight calculation, and the Wikia numbers are just wrong?

Seems like no matter what I put into a google search, I just get responses of "followers didn't used to level their stats but now they do, yay!" Not very helpful. :P At least I've figured out how to create and give them a custom perk that levels their destruction spell damage with their destruction skill, I think.

Please, see post. It was about health calculation, but if you follow links i've put in post, you'll find how all stats are calculated.

Kind Regards.

Ah HA! Thank you very much! I knew bugging LL would be the way to go, I'm almost always finding the answers I need here.

I think I'm getting it then. If I want to have her level 10-100 with the player, I'm going to probably need to spread out those points a little more to make the skill growth more realistic, otherwise she'll cap skills out at 100 at a low level (like she does now, testing at 30 she already had maxed Destruction).

-----

DISREGARD ALL THIS

Running those calculations though, they still don't quite add up. For instance, I mentioned that at level 10 ingame, her "getav destruction" resulted in a 67. Her base value is 49, and she uses the Thalmor Wizard class.

Thalmor Wizard: 1+3+3+1+1+2+3 = 14

Destruction weight: 3

Skill points: (10-1)*8 = 9*8 = 72

This Skill = This Skill Base + (Total Skill Points * (This Skill Weight / Sum of Skill Weights))

49+(72*(3/14)) =

49+(15.4) = 64.4, rounded to 64.

64 isn't 67. Where are those three points coming from? And for that matter, where are the points coming from to go from 49 to 67? What's even more confusing is that the CK is calculating her stats as if she's already leveled. If I set her to 1 her Destruction becomes 25, which is correct for her race. Ok, what if I calculate using that number?

25+(72*(3/14)) = 40.4

So... now there's 9 points appearing from nowhere?

And I checked other values to make sure. For instance, I checked the magicka value in-game vs what it says in the CK and it matched. Is it double dipping on the class or something?

83024d9844cc53870780a7dc33e3b26c.png1d25d03344f8146c592863d18c0074b5.png

At this point I would say it's mostly mathematical curiosity now, except for the fact that the "calculated" skill value in the CK and the one that appears in-game are completely different.

DISREGARD ALL THIS

Did a test by changing the class to Thalmor Melee.

c94c97f9010e1ebd9b4b4f834e07ea99.png61b0170a741862fd59877401444236a3.png

Additional values on the 3-2-1 weight scale equal to +18, +12, and +6.

Thalmor Melee skill weight is 3+2+2+1+1 = 9.

For One-Handed:

15+(72*(3/9)) = 

15+(24) = 39

That's correct, this time. And a "getavinfo onehanded" results in a current/computed base of 57, like in the screenshot.

Something's still up here.

DISREGARD THAT. Holy sweet mother of the night, why.

I think I just hit one of the most niche situations I can think of at the moment. I use Mod Organizer, but I was getting boatloads of errors and crashing while running the CK through MO, so I moved my plugin into the base data folder to work on. While testing, I was still launching the game through MO.

d7a245e386c6dad6d5f19cf9ccf4867a.png

Well that's a nice, fun, completely random change that wasn't necessary or relating to the actual content of that mod in any way. Why is that there.

Problem solved. Calculations are correct, it was an obnoxious change in a random mod.

Thank you again! Now I can kick development back into high gear.

Archived