[Mod in planning] Brave Old World - a story, "new" land mod

Anbeegod

This mod is only a plan for the time being, which means it's not guaranteed that it will be made. I was involved and had invested much time in a tremendous mod project of Skyrim that was extraordinarily ambitious, and it was ended before anything solid was even produced. Too young, so naive. This would be a shame and disgrace in my life forever, and I'm not going to give myself and others so much hope of something as big as this before anything real is even made, lest I disappoint myself and my supporters yet again.

If I am not making a follower mod of Skyrim, and understand that mod-making isn't as impossible to me as I'd want to believe after my failure, I'd never get myself involved in modding anymore. For this, I'd like to thank WraithSlayer who enlightened my path of modding, because he was the person who taught me quest and basic script making.

In the current plan:

I will be in charge of the writing of the whole main quest arch and the main characters. I will also write some side quests.

This is going to be a mod that requires more than 1 person to make true. Scripters, world makers and modelers/texturers will be needed to make the mod great and solid, additional writers who'd like to provide new ideas and write side quests will also be welcomed.

The estimated earliest possible time of starting the whole mod's making will be December 2016, because I still need to complete my Onmund mod and DLC plugins of Skyrim, which would very likely be done in the 3rd quarter of this year.

Major characters:

Sole Survivor

Sole Survivor's husband/wife (Nate/Nora)

US President (secondary antagonist, unnamed in the lore according to Fallout Wiki; this mod will name him Robert Stanislaus Richardson)

Vault-Tec CEO (primary antagonist, name and background could not be found in Fallout Wiki; this mod will name her Allena Julian Masters)

General Chase (US army; Nate/Male Sole Survivor's commander and friend, possible antagonist and ally)

Albert Cole (canon Vault Dweller of Fallout 1)

Notable minor characters:

Robert House (might be a major character in the future, but most likely just have a cameo)

Chairman Cheng (NOT going to have major role in the current plan, most likely be a mentioned-only character)

Soviet leader (might have appearance in the mod, unnamed according to Fallout Wiki; this mod will name him Miroslav Vladislavovich Yegorov)

Sole Survivors' neighbors in Sanctuary Hill

Eddie Winter

Nick Valentine

Currently planned beginning:

You arrived at Vault 89 for a mysterious radio channel that plays strange voices, and discovered a pod in the end of the vault. You lied down peacefully in the pod's bed, but a tremendous amount of electrical energy passed through your body for unknown reason, and you had no way out of the pod. After a minute, the electrical energy overwhelmed you, and your body ceased struggles.

When you regain consciousness, you found yourself in a familiar location, filled with familiar faces. It was a court in pre-war Boston, and you were in a trial, as the lawyer or the defendant. You recognized the lawyer/defendant, and you would never have forgotten that face.

What are in plan:

Return to the pre-war Boston, of an alternate universe.

A great and epic adventure with the romanceable Nate/Nora, who wasn't your spouse yet.

Fight against Vault-Tec... or not.

Meet the Vault Dweller who defeated Master and his Super Mutant army - you will learn the truth of his appearance during the story.

Bring back the freedom of story, significance of character building and options/outcomes of previous Fallouts.

Voiced characters.

Alternate universe

It is an alternate universe for obvious reason. You will cause tremendous changes to the history during and in the end of the story, and the entire Fallout series would not make sense if these changes you cause are true and solid.  Contradictions with the true lore is almost inevitable. Although I will try whatever I can to eliminate the lore contradictions, alternate universe can eradicate this kind of problem as different universes can have different course of history.

Vault-Tec CEO

I made the Vault-Tec CEO female because more than half of the important characters in Fallout 4 are male. I'm not a feminazi, but I find this disparity, as it is in most video games, unnatural; so it's decided that female characters should have more significant positions.

Robert House

Robert House will have an appearance in this mod, and he is still the CEO of RobCo in this universe, as most things would remain as close to the true lore as possible. His appearance is mainly due to my fascination of his character and no solid reason. He could be in Massachusetts to share knowledge with CIT, search for useful knowledge that could help him develop the anti-nuke system for Vegas, or he might simply be going on holiday. His appearance, significant or not, is guaranteed if this mod is to be made.

General Chase

General Chase is the person that gives you orders in the Anchorage simulation of Fallout 3 DLC. It makes sense that he and Nate are friends outside their duties, as both served in the army and participated in the liberation of Anchorage. I'm still thinking a first name for him.

Vault Dweller

Using the canon Vault Dweller will inevitably cause emotional difficulties to some, but I believe most will come to accept it in the end. I can't tell spoilers, of course.

Eddie Winter and Nick Valentine

Eddie Winter and the true Nick Valentine will appear as minor characters in side quests, but like Robert House, they might have significant roles in the future plan. You can side with either person, save or kill Nick's fiance. Yes, you can actually play as an evil asshole in the mod.

Your family

In the current plan, male Sole Survivor/Nate's parents were both retired soldiers, living somewhere in Massachusetts, and would be mentioned-only characters; whereas female Sole Survivor/Nora's mother was a professor in Harvard University, and her father, who was a police officer in Boston, had already deceased. An older brother of female Sole Survivor/Nora will appear.

Roger Maxson

Originally, I planned to give Roger Maxson a role, but soon I realized that would make little sense, so I threw this idea away.

Preston Garvey

You think you can get away from his annoyance by traveling to 200 years ago? No way...

Companions

Vanilla companions will not have roles in this mod. Even if you or the game somehow teleport them into the pre-war Boston, they would not react to the story. This is decided due to a lot of concerns, and nothing can change it.

However, you can get Nate/Nora as permanent companion, so long as you are in pre-war Boston. There will also be temporary companions, including Albert Cole and Nick Valentine in the mod, who won't substitute Nate/Nora.

Items

All items you possess in the post-war Commonwealth will be lost, except your Pip-boy for gameplay reasons (which will be explained in story perspective). New apparel, weapons and aid items can be acquired in the pre-war Boston. Female Sole Survivor will be equipped with formal clothing, and male Sole Survivor will be equipped with prisoner's clothing, upon your arrival at the old world.

Enemies

There will be little mutated enemies in pre-war Boston for obvious reasons, but there will still be feral ghouls and different sorts of nasty critters beneath the ground, due to Vault-Tec's experiments. Above the ground, your major enemies will be gangsters, thugs, police (conditional) and spies from China and UK. After certain point of the story, mercenaries hired by Vault-Tec will attempt to assassinate you.

Game world

The entire Boston and the northern now-Commonwealth, which includes Sanctuary Hill. I might expand or reduce the map size due to different concerns in the future. 

Romance

One of the main points of this mod is to allow the players to actually get to know their characters' spouse, and develop bonds with them. Nate/Nora will be the only romanceable character in the mod. Due to this, more efforts and time can be allocated to make the whole romance more romantic and touching. However, it is not mandatory to romance them, and you can still finish the story without them being your love. Moreover, it might be possible to simply kill them off if you wish to, after certain points of the story.

There might be sexy but not explicitly erotic scenes, which are made to increase immersion and make the atmosphere more romantic, but not for the players' fap use.

Transportation

It would be a shame if you couldn't drive in the pre-war Boston. Depends on what the Fallout 4 modding kit can provide us, you might be able to drive. I believe I have got the basic idea of how to make it come true, though I lack the ability to make it solid.

Voice acting

Minus Sole Survivor and their spouse, voice acting is not going to be a technical problem. If my assumption of how PA and robot voice work is right, I believe the problem of the two protagonists' voices can be solved. If not, then I will try and find the voice actors whose voices are closest to the original ones, and see if they are willing to help. Voiceless protagonists is the last method I'd want to use.

Soundtrack

It would be likely that radio songs will be played all over Boston's streets and private buildings, and the music of rural areas will remain the same as the post-war Commonwealth. Some important scenes will use remix versions of vanilla soundtracks. If a music composer volunteers, that'd be another case.

Settlements

If time, ability and tool allow, Concord or Lexington will have similar system with the Commonwealth's settlement system. Sole Survivor can become the mayor type of character in a town, develop industries, set tax rates, put certain people into prison. If the residents of your town are content with their living quality, businessmen might be attracted to invest into your town, and new residents might come, vice versa. It'd be a "modern" version of the town system, which you wouldn't have to think about survival and protection, and instead, you would strive for improvement and wealth.

Mod team

It will be open to join the mod's team once it's begun, when my Onmund mod is 80% finished and the content of this mod is more complete. For now, this mod is only a plan that is not yet solidified.

Open for suggestions and ideas. Any help from people living/working in Boston would be appreciated.

Archived