[Quest Mod Concept] Evolution War

Cherubina

While playing Fallout 4 I was thinking about what would be a great addition to the game.
I had one great idea after another and because I want to share my ideas in the hope other modders would like them and try making some of them.
The outcome is pretty massive so first I want to break it down into many small mods that aren't as difficult and abmbitious.
Currently I'm still learning the languages and how to create mods but I'm planning on developing the smaller parts soon.
I was hoping my concept catches the interest of other modders.
Especially the quest part would later need voice actors, but it's a long way to go until then.
Please give me feedback on my ideas so I can improve the concept

Introduction:

The whole thing is supposed to become a quest mod mith cut-scenes and its own pacing.
I wanted to create intriguing characters that aren't as forgettable as the ones in the vanilla games, so the direction I went was most characters just being interesting in the matter of skills and backstory, but here and there I believe some near-Borderlands2-crazy but realistic characters would make the whole thing much more interesting.
Imagine the difference between Roland and Tiny Tina: You enjoy both because Roland gives you an actual plot while Tiny Tina turns the whole thing into an amusement park.
Furthermore I wanted to expand the weapons and armor loadout by a great bunch of new items that are supposed to stream into the players loadout bit by bit in form of quest rewards or side-rewards triggered by events or defeating enemies.
Which leads me to the enemy part: I want to bring a variety of new enemies - mainly monsters - into the game.

The whole thing is supposed to consist of multiple content-holding mods and furthermore be cut into stages.
Each stage is supposed to add more content and progress in the storyline.
That should cut it into edible bits I believe.

Content:

Weapons:

I was thinking of what the next step in technology would be after introducing laser weapons and plasma weapons.
Lightly inspired by - or maybe better said bolstered up by - XCOM Long War mod I believe the next step would be a combination of energy and projectile weaponry.

Super Sonic Bullets (GR9 Weaponry):
Since Isaac Newton is still the hardest motherf***er in the universe the energy technology could first be used to accelerate projectiles to about 9000km/h (5592 mph) which is about 7.3x the speed of sound (Mach 7.3). Being hit by a projectile this fast would probably cause a human body to explode into a puddle of blood.
The projectiles would have high armor breaking and damage properties.
I believe it would be possible for some pre-war weapons to be refitted into the new type of weapons, like you can refit a sniper rifle into a .50 cal (not really but programming wise).
The technology is around energized barrels that accelerate the projectiles, while the projectiles are basically normal bullets (railgun principle).
Optionally the weapons could consume fusion cells or run with a fusion core. (programming wise - realistically spoken they'd have to)
The fusion cores may be too big, and the fusion cells are still pretty big, so a new smaller version may be necessary.
The pure next-gen weapons are supposed to look familiar but at the same time futuristic, so a source of inspiration could be the Mass Effect and Destiny weapons.

M7X Munition:
While speed might be a nice idea, at some point modern materials and energy containment systems can't keep up with the forces such a weapon would wield.
M7X Ammunition solves that problem by creating an entirely new ammunition type:
While at first glance the munition looks like normal bullets, when looking at it from the front you might notice that about half of the bullet’s mantle is made of a glass-like material with something glowing inside.
That is because the bullets carry a payload of advanced plasma-technology in them.
While the M7 stands for their supersonic properties, the X stands for a variety of properties:
Firstly if you look at the bullet from the front you will notice the bullet shapes an X due to the fact that it has 4 “glass” panels at the sides that keep the energy payload in check.
Secondly the X stands for the explosive properties of the bullets.
Did someone say explosions?
Hell yes! The bullets are actually small advanced plasma-grenades.
After igniting the bullet’s propellant the gun will destabilize the plasma payload so it will explode a few moments later, if the bullet hits its target earlier, the glass pannels will break and destabilize the plasma early. Keeping a short delay due to the reaction time of the plasma in mind, the explosion usually takes place when the bullet is inside the target.
This combines the deadly properties of plasma weapons with the invasive properties of armor breaking projectile weapons.
The Super-Sonic weapons are basically able to fire these rounds, however only a complex upgrade of barrel, receiver and other components allow the new ammunition to unfold their potential ... inside a super mutant’s skull.

Weapon Types:
First off the classic assault rifle should be a no-brainer:
Average sized rounds just like the NATO one’s with the advantage of a high rate of fire.

Sniper Rifles will come back as bolt-action-like weapons:
All will basically be semi-automatic but the bigger the rounds not just the bigger the recoil, but also the heat generation.
If you fire a .50cal M7X bullet you will have to wait a second until the gun is ready to fire, or the barrel would melt during the second shot.

Pistols are a little bit trickier due to their small form which is why they might have to come in later.
However they will be much more like a desert eagle on steroids than like a casual lady killer.

Shotguns: did you ever feel like you can’t really tell what’s better – slug or flechet?
Worry no more! The M7X shotgun shoots both!
A lightly smaller slug ammo core surrounded by flight path stabilizing nails.
It’s almost art!

LMGs would just be a bigger version of assault rifles, maybe using bigger rounds and a bigger cooling system, or using the same rounds as assault rifles but with huge ammo capacity.

Mini guns will also be possible but here is where things really change:
While the classic mini gun will still be reproducible there is a new weapon type that develops out of this one due to the fact that there is a power armor project supposed to happen at the same time:

Power Guns (name to be re-evaluated)
Guns solely made for power armors.
Generally much bigger versions of assault rifles and LMGs with devastating firepower and without the downside of spin-up delays.

Since these weapons create a lot of noise and have quite some recoil they all come with compensators that have built-in silencers that only reduce the noise to acceptable levels.
However silencers are still supposed to be possible as additional barrel-extensions.

M7X melee weaponry:
After developing M7X munition it became clear that the plasma flow stabilizers used inside the rounds can be used to maintain a constant flow of energy along a surface.
That basic idea gave birth to the melee plasma weaponry.
What first came to mind was a plasma sword.
It basically looks much like an M7X assault rifle in style, with the difference of the sword-shape.
In energy-less condition the blade is basically just missing, having a furrow there instead.
The furrow is coated with plasma resistant materials (black dull material) and every 10 or so centimeters interrupted by a plasma flow stabilizer made of a silver material.
The blade cuts through most materials and inflicts heavy energy damage, burning itself through flesh and armor.
However plasma swords inflict very little to no bleeding damage since the heat of the plasma seals the vasculature while cutting through it.
If crossed with another plasma-sword, the two plasma blades will give force feedback in near-physical behavior (mixture of lightsaber and normal steel sword).

Armor:

I would like to add some new armor to the game that compensates for the much higher difficulty level.
Also I would like to make some really enjoyable moments during quests, like when you’re cornered and flee into a building and suddenly you realize there is this massive piece of armor inside and the next thing you remember is humming ACDC’s Thunderstruck just before everything around you exploded into a puddle of blood.

Special Forces MK III Armor:
This high-tech full-body armor comes in 3 versions:
Recon, Assault, Enforcer
All versions have the following features:

Neural interface for live-display of your status and automatic stim-pack, rad-away, rad-x, etc. infusions comes in combination with the…

HUD Helmet with built-in night vision, thermal vision, targeting information display, gas mask, respirator attachment slot, noise sealing, voice modulator and a headlight through the visor. (Pip-boy menu like in power armors)

The body armor consists of 3-4 layers:

• painting
  • coating layer for applying thin layers of laser-resistant coating
  • main protection layer made of bullet-proof materials
  • neural interface-layer with optional upgrades like micro-servos consisting of artificial muscles on polymer basis, lightly increasing the wearer’s strength, stability when aiming and speed when running.

The awesome parts of it will be modification unlocks gained from quest rewards (and possibly research later on through the settlement system)

The Recon variation is the light-weight version that visually comes with a cloak and is prepared for upgrades like a stealth-boy-field and also shows enemies on the compass.
Since it is light-weighted it gives the player a bonus to their agility perk.
It’s basically the sneaky version of the three.

The Assault variation is the mixed type, not too heavy but offers more protection.
It comes with improved servos for an increase of movement speed and some tactical gimmicks like maybe a V.A.T.S. matrix or so.

The Enforcer is the juggernaut version of the three, suited for open battle.
It is much thicker and heavier than the other two and comes with a malus to Agility (and therefore stealth).
Even though it comes with even stronger servo muscles due to its size it can only improve the player’s strength, not their movement speed.
It is prepared for upgrades like the emergency measurements and automatic stim-pack infusion.
Not sure if I want to allow this armor to enable wearing power guns (name to be re-evaluated). However you could see it as the heaviest piece of armor after power armors.

Power Armor MK XIII-01 to XIII-06:
After years of research that is based off of the MK X-01 there have been many attempts to design the next generation of power armors.
However all projects failed until MK XIII became an idea.
The MK XIII power armor doesn’t really count to power armor anymore. It is much more like a 1 person tank on two legs with a very advanced driver’s seat.
Vehicles usually waste a lot of space with just the steering controls, seating, etc.

The MK XIII power armor is a neural-interface capsule.
The extremely thick armoring and loads of technology that fill the internals of the armor made it impossible to just become a suit, humans are simply too small.
At the same time a normally controlled vehicle would have been extremely clumsy and slow in battle.
So a neural interface capsule located inside the armor’s torso was the best solution.
Through it the user “becomes” the armor and will move with it quite naturally.

Due to the fact that the human body is highly inefficiently built when it comes to battle situations, the MK XIII comes with digitigrade shaped legs to allow ludicrous running speeds with maximum maneuverability.
While the legs are also still suited for melee fights, the second main attraction may be the arms with enough horse powers to rip a normal death claw into two pieces.
If you think a thin layer of polymer servos inside the ranger armor was nice, think of a giant robot using those for muscles! (many times more efficient than organic muscles)
Another optional attachment may be an enhanced version of the jet-pack, that now uses technology based off of the RG9 weapon project to gain enough impulse to lift this heavy piece of armor off the ground – however the energy core can’t continuously support the massive energy drain, so the jet-pack is powered by a capacitor that can be used up and will slowly refill over time (room for energy source upgrades!).

Due to its size it is also highly customizable.
It can easily hold all the features of the ranger armor such as a HUD helmet and multiple layers of armor and coating scaled up to the size of the MK XIII power armor.
It provides far more protection than the X-01 against all damage classes.
As power armor it is also able to use power guns (name to be re-evaluated).

Its increased energy consumption leads to faster fusion core drain, which brings the advanced fusion core MK II into play that can hold 3 times more energy.

Also does anyone believe wall-running with jetpacks can be made possible through a mod?

New Land and Settlement System:

I can’t stop thinking that Fallout Shelter looks like it’s the actual Fallout 4 settlement system squeezed into a mobile app because it couldn’t be finished in time.
I believe it would be nice to add the Fallout Shelter system in a warped version to the game.
Such as settlers having stats and abilities and there being multiple jobs and you having to maintain a small society and not just to build a couple beds and turrets.

Because that might take away some of the freedom I believe nobody would mind if it was a standalone mod on an entirely new map.
Also for the quest the new settlement system would be crucial together with the need for an entirely new map due to the fact that there aren’t enough fitting locations on the vanilla map.

Land:

Adirondack Park!
Since the U.S. Military was hiding a missile base somewhere in the area and the Chinese found out about it as it launched its missiles against China, they bombarded it while it was still holding live missiles.
The resulting chain-explosion created a crater so radioactive that even after far over 200 years you’ll still risk your life going there with a power suit on.
Going there without would cause your body to instantaneously dissolve.
Since the missile base was not right in the center and the surrounding mountains forests and lakes were able to limit the blast radius, the surrounding wasteland could be considered as the least hostile environment … if there just wasn’t this little problem with the hordes of mutants coming from the crater…
Since the area had a very low population density (national park d’uh) and there was really nothing militaristic but that one silo (and maybe a secret military base nearly nobody knew of), the remaining area would be ideal for founding an entirely new settlement.
In this area some plants managed to survive the nuclear apocalypse, however not undamaged.
The area is filled with mutated plants, some of them maybe even hostile.
Rumors say that the FEV cloud from The Glow might have passed this area too but nothing can be proven.

Landmarks:
A deep mutated forest…
with opportunities to add one or more indigene tribes and the possibility to potentially revert it back into a pre-war forest.
I’d like to see a lake with clean water and changing terrain.
Maybe even a “climbable” mountain.

A giant bomb crater
similar to the one from the south-west corner of the vanilla map.
However I want it to work a little differently.
The radiation is supposed to be super high so you die within a few seconds if you go there unprotected.
Beyond that I’d like to fill it with new monsters that are an extreme challenge that can’t be defeated with vanilla weaponry. I have some thoughts on which monsters those are but I want to discuss those later.
So in the sum of its parts a player wouldn’t want to go there without power armor.
It’s supposed to be impossible to completely be cleared and serve as high-end fighting ground to gather super rare goods and to do epic quests.

Devastated City
Far away from the crater there is supposed to be a city in which players can go on a scavenging hunt, encounter raiders, slavers, feral ghouls and all that stuff.
It’ll have some landmarks like schools, police stations and factories that’ll play a role in the storyline.
Necessary buildings would be:

• a building yard
  • a robotics workshop
  •  a sub urban district
  • a (small) military bureau with a bomb shelter underneath

Unfinished bunker
The player is supposed to have the opportunity to build their own vault.
They are supposed to find an unfinished Vault-Tec bunker during the main storyline of the mod.
Building the bunker is supposed to work more like Fallout Shelter and not at all like the actual settlement system.
It is supposed to be a modular system in which the player decides where which part of the bunker goes. I was hoping that we get more possible pieces together than Fallout Shelter did.
Also I’d like to leave a metaphorical door open for other modders to add their own rooms.
The bunker is also supposed to have an open area around it since that’s where the 2nd part of the settlement is supposed to be founded.
This part will have some pre-defined buildings that a player can upgrade and a variety of building lots that will dynamically spawn depending on the player’s choices.
(more about this in the settlement section)

Abandoned Military Base
At the borders of the bomb crater I’d like to see an abandoned military base.
It’s supposed to be swarming with monsters and to be hard to find, but holds a variety of story based objectives and some really nice goods. (location to be re-evaluated)
The entrance is barely worth mentioning since it took a very serious hit from the explosion(s) but depending on how the storyline is supposed to work I’d like to see a big hall that is half collapsed.
The hall is accessible through what’s left of the main building which is mainly just two doors and a corridor.
However the main attractions of that hall are supposed to be a giant rusted metal gate (heavy sliding door system) and a giant rusty elevator suited for carrying tanks.
Did someone say the T word?
Yes! This military base is supposed to hold a whole army worth of military vehicles!
(I really hope until then there will be a mod that allows the use of vehicles or we’re going to have to make it ourselves.)

The terrain in its entirety (especially the deep forest) is supposed to be rather huge and kind of lacking density of landmarks.
That is to rebalance the game’s pacing.
There will be random encounters not just with NPCs you can see from far away but also from NPCs that are very hard to impossible to spot and force the player into a very intense melee fight situation.
That is meant to build up tension.
So you sneak through the forests and gather herbs and, meat, leather, fruits, seeds, water, quest items or just to get from one place to another while you’re constantly under the tension that something could jump at you any moment.
However there are supposed to be some spots that are somewhat interesting.
With that I mean little caves with mushrooms in them, a long abandoned camp and things like that.
The entirety of the map is supposed to have a forest-like theme that resembles the real life area to some degree.

Settlements:

As I mentioned before the settlement system is supposed to be split into two sections.
One section will be the bunker and the other will be the city around it.
To reduce the initial development time the city is supposed to come in later.

The Vault…
is a Vault-Tec bunker that has never been finished.
They barely started building it, but left a lot of equipment behind that allows the player to continue their work.
The Vault would come with an already built entrance area and a holo-table that would display the vault’s map in a low-poly way, however preferably normal textures and not the holographic ones since you have to see what you are building.
The simplest way for choosing where to build the next module would probably be a list of possible building areas.
If the player highlights a list entry the holo-table displays where the new room would be and how it would look like.
If rotation and modification (like upgrades) are supposed to be a thing, there could be a sub-menu controlling that.

hJOwY5B.jpg?1

* If birth control is active the player gets to choose the partnerships between the vault dwellers.
Otherwise if a couple marries and moves together the couple will choose the quarters with the higher upgrade level, quarters where they are alone together or a random one.

The City…
The city is supposed to come in later story wise and maybe also mod wise.
It will be located at the surface around the vault.
It will not include the classic building system since I believe it is too unrefined to support the AI.
Instead the player will be able to build complete props.
I didn’t decide on the streets yet but maybe a square based street-building system would work.
The player will have the opportunity to build most or all of the buildings.
Some or most of the buildings have to be unlocked first through story progression, laws, level-ups and settlement growth.
After a building has been placed, the player may upgrade modify and decorate the building to increase its productivity and impact on the happiness of their settlers.
The player may once again be able to decide who works in which building.

Buildings I’d like to see:

• Appartment Building

• Barracks

• Water Pumping Station

• Power Plant

• Inn (modifiable into Hotel / Casino / Brothel)

• Workshop (for the player’s crafting needs and some other bonuses I didn’t decide on yet)

• Farm (modifiable into Greenhouse / Dairy Farm / etc.)

• City Hall (size and feature upgrades)

• Laboratory

• Infirmary (upgrade to Hospital)

• City Walls, Gates & Towers (upgrades would be thicker walls, heavier turrets and what comes to mind). These may be placed in pre-defined locations.

• Warehouse

• Shops (modifiable into weapon shops, armor shops, chem. dealers, etc.)

The focus should be on proper pathfinding.
NPCs are supposed to move through the city and play animations according to their jobs.
The city is supposed to look lively and interactive.
The city will occasionally be attacked by hostile NPCs such as raiders or supermutants.
The hostile NPCs spawn far away from the city and first aim for the city gate.
The city gate closes automatically as soon as the hostiles get closer.
The hostiles will attack any turret and guard that comes in their way.
After defeating all defensive forces the hostiles will go for their goal which depends on their faction.
Super mutants will kill civilians, raiders will loot warehouses and shops, slavers will enslave civilians and bring them to a random hideout.
If fast enough, the player will be able to rescue the civilians by going to their base, fighting the slavers and untying the hostages.
If the player waits too long the slavers will de-spawn together with the civilians.
The slavers will choose one out of a variety of possible bases, probably in the devastated city area or in a cave in the forest.

The Settlers…
are supposed to have names, given to them by a random name generator that keeps familial bonds in mind.
They will also have S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stats that affect their efficiency at work, their talents and combat abilities.
The player will be able to define the settler’s clothing by dressing a mannequin in a museum-like hall that story wise is supposed to represent the accomplishments of the settlement’s people.
The outfits will be split up into the different jobs the settlers can have (leaving room for additional jobs added by other modders).
That also means there will be no companion trade menu for the settlers!!
If a settler is a merchant they will have a normal merchant trade menu and normally trade with the player, but they won’t just give the player everything they have or such nonsense.
Also I might like to see merchants to be marked as essential, since killing a merchant seems to cause bugs.

The Law System…
I’d like to add a system that allows the player to make their own laws and form the society of their settlement through them.
This sounds very difficult at first glance but I believe it’s not so hard if not asking for too much.

The possible laws would be displayed through a menu.
When opening a menu you get to the sub-menu that handles the details.
I think of a single-choice menu, maybe even comparable to the weapon modification menu.
Depending on which laws would come to mind there may be a necessity for a slider such as a slider handling the height of the taxes.

I’d like to see laws like these:

• Education: Will there be education for children? Is it obligatory or optional?

• Prostitution: Is prostitution allowed? Is it completely open or only allowed in brothels?
    Do prostitutes have to undergo a health test?

• Slavery: Is slavery allowed? Is it allowed to enslave anyone outside the city borders?
    Is voluntary slavery in form as a very restrictive working contract allowed?
    Is it allowed to enslave criminals? How heavy does the crime have to be?
  • For the Vault: Are visitors allowed to come inside? Are they allowed to be armed?

• For the City: Are non-citizens allowed to enter the city? Are they allowed to set up tent outside the city? Is begging allowed?

• Is there a birth control? How strict is it? Are people allowed to marry whoever they want?

• Are people free to choose their occupation? Is ordered occupation inheritable or decided by a G.O.A.T.?

As a result if prostitution is allowed there will be a brothel in the city.
If prostitution is forbidden, the brothel will just be a normal hotel with a bar and musicians.
If unrestricted prostitution is allowed, there will be hookers on the side roads.

If slavery is openly allowed the player will run into slavers outside the city that will much like raiders or Gunners attack the player, also slaves will be bought into the city.
If slavery is merely allowed inside the city there will only be slaves in the city but no slavers.
If slavery is forbidden there won’t be any slaves, but it might make the slavers angry about not being allowed to enter the wealthy city and have them crawl around outside the city anyways.

Education will lock children away from work, but have them rapidly increase their stats as they grow up.
If it’s just optional poor children will ditch school to earn some caps, some may even become thieves.

If the player allows strangers to enter the vault armed, some visitors might actually be raiders and attack the vault from within.
If entering the vault is only allowed unarmed there may still be thieves among the visitors.
If nobody is allowed to enter the vault there won’t be resource bonuses from outside.

Quest(s):
While I would love to make a fully voice acted cinematic storyline, I don’t know how much will be possible. If I stay alone with the mod idea, I’ll have to slice and dice …

The story is still in the making.
I already know the general plot and a good number of specific scenes.
I will not post everything I'm currently thinking of because I might scrap those fragments entirely. At this point even the entire plot may change, but I want you to know what this is roughly going to be about.

!! Salutes to Major Spoiler Alert !!

Prelude:

A starting questline will introduce the player to a group of adventurers that gathered around a female scientist that traveled from NCR territory to Boston.
They wanted to refill their supplies before searching the ruins of the commonwealth for clues about a project called "Project Shiva".
Project Shiva:

was the codename for a top secret research project run by a fraction of the National Guard.
Unexpectedly a high ranked soldier (General Ronald Allan Knight) of the National Guard realized there was something going wrong with the U.S. Government.
Going way beyond their authorizations they started a secret research and construction project that was made to ensure that the U.S.A. will be able to re-establish the control over North-America in case of a nuclear holocaust or a complete defeat of U.S. troops by Chinese forces.

The plan consisted of two facilities:
One was a fully automatic and autonomous war gear factory designed to launch a large-scale ambush once Chinese forces would move their frontlines towards Boston.

The second facility (facility B) was a research laboratory to improve the G.E.C.K. concept into a large-scale measurement in case of a nuclear holocaust or the necessity of bombarding U.S. teritory to defeat Chinese forces with own nuclear weaponry in case facility A would fail its mission or other unforseen events and to potentially improve the concept to disable the radioactive payload of a nuclear bomb before or after detonation through a neutralizing beam weapon or comparable defensive weapon forcing the mega-nuclei based payload to fuse into harmless mega-nuclei or to disolve into harmless normal atom cores without releasing their radioactive force.

Mega-Nuclei:

This is my explanation for the entire Lore's use of nuclear energy sources.
It's based around the idea of scientists finding the holy grale to industially create huge stable atomic nuclei.

These mega-nuclei were for example (just a concept) used to store negative electrical energy within the nucleus or to create a new form of radiation that has entirely new properties and abilities, such as intelligent radiation that is potentially able to manipulate the DNA in an organized manner.

Normal radiation just destroys, but mega-nucleus based radiation is able to perform intelligent procedures through its chemical properties.

Radiation with chemical properties! (just an idea I doubt anyone here would be able to disprove right off the bat ^^)

To finance this project the general convinced his friend who was leading a secret nuclear missile base in Adirondack Park to gain payments for building more nuclear warheads in that silo.

Since they were pretty sure the missile base was not compromised, and nearly nobody lived there it was the perfect place for building a secret facility.
The secret factory was connected to the missile base through an underground tunnel.

Through that tunnel they were able to move construction equipment and materials to the underground military bunker unnoticed.
As the Chinese launched their nuclear attack, Facility A (the factory) was almost done and already stocked some prototypes.
The construction equipment was still in the bunker as the missile base got hit by a nuke.

The resulting chain explosion of the nuke and the stocked nukes in the missile base caused facility A to partially collapse.
The explosion completely wiped out the missile base. There was barely a few scraps of metal and boulders of concrete spread around the bomb crater, that was now the center of an extremely high irradiated area, deadly to all life known until that day.
The radiation seeped into the ground and into the dirt of the collapsed tunnel until it reached the lower areas of facility A, irradiating the factory.
After 200 years some mutated monsters dug their way through the tunnel into facility A, using it as a nest.

The construction machinery however was left behind at one of the higher levels and was generally spared from radiation.

The soldiers and workers at facility A eventually got killed. Be it wether through the blast, the radiation outside or through starvation since facility A was not meant as a permanent shelter.

If the player's name is "[First name] Knight" the player will have the opportunity to say that General Ronald A. Knight is the father of the male part of the initial player's family (if you're playing the male protagonist, he'll be your father, if you are the female protagonist he'll be your father in law).

That is due to the fact that in the intro the husband is very involved with the military (his great great grandfather was in the military and now he is) and my thought is that it could be a family tradition, while the wife is mentioned as a student (please correct me if there are multiple family constructs).
Knowing where he lived they will directly get the quest to go to his house somewhere in the sub-urban districts of Boston.

Otherwise the player will first have to travel to a National Guard facility (a military base or a bureau) to find evidence about the location of his house.

Archived