Animating from poses

labrat

I was looking at animating in FO3 using some of the groovy Umpa and Slave poses as start positions, but found that NifScripts was having a hard time recognising them and importing the .kf into Blender.

(Yes. I know I'm an idle bastard but anything that makes life a bit easier, and some of the poses can give you a real head start on the animation if you adopt them as first/last frame.)

After a bit of head scratching I realised the problem was in the end time given in the "NiTextKeyExtraData" part of the .kf.

(The "whoa mule! that numbers waay too big" message in the error log was a bit of a hint).

If I make a back up of the pose and edit the end time I can now import some of the extensive collection of poses to play with adding animation. Sorry if everyone already had this worked out but I haven't seen anyone else trying to do the same thing.

Here's a screenshot of the guilty party. I know some people despise SCs but I think words are too easily confusing.

Guest Donkey

be carefull not everyone likes when you use there animation as a base start.

Especially those who created just poses.

I am not sure about Umpa. but others have been activily hunting those that release a modified version from there mods. Maybe that is why most uses bake contraints nowadays. Using this will make it difficult for others to use your animations, as a new animation.

Me i just like inventing new poses. :P so i always start fresh from scratch. Once i have a basic template going it is pretty easy to create many in row. It just zaps allot of time. Time i have less and less going right now.

3dmax is going nowhere. So i kind of scrtached that for now.

@Donkey

I saw that bit about baking constraints if you use Breeze's nice rig - based itself on the Ludwig rig. Using a proper rig might make the animation faster, but at the moment it looks like it's very limited to one body type that I don't want to use.

If I can be arsed I might give it a shot just to create a basic animation, then import that .kf using the skeleton and body that I really want to use, and see how easy it is tweak or whether I am going to have to mess around excessively creating mesh groups & weights just to use the body that I want. I suspect that the saving in animation time wouldn't make up for time spent faffing around to make it more versatile.

Actually it may be quicker to create my own rig (based on the skeleton and mesh that I want to use) from the start.

be carefull not everyone likes when you use there animation as a base start.

Especially those who created just poses.

I've not got much time for people who get precious over "their" work' date=' especially if it is just a pose derived from and using pre-existing assets. Due acknowledgement of any raw material used is simple good manners and encouragement. I have noticed that the truly creative are usually keen to have others use their work, it's some of the people who are most derivative of other people's efforts that get most proprietorial over their "tweaks".

Why reinvent the wheel? if someone has already made public a crosslegged sitting pose and you want to create a "basic instinct" animation, why not say "thanks to x for this pose - I used that when I made this" Or if someone has released an animation that unfortunately doesn't work so well with your preferred body type, (or at all), why not acknowledge the original and release a version that e.g. does have the hand in the right place, or anatomically correct engagement?

As you know, posing or even animation is technically not that difficult once you have the idea, but can be very time consuming. The basic assets and tools are all provided free of charge, anything created and released into the wild should be part of the common pool. If somebody who has released a pose/animation finds themselves getting overly protective, then perhaps they should see someone about treatment 'cause they probably register on some sort of spectrum.

Thankfully, by the time I've done [i']my[/i] tweaking the author of any inspirational source is unlikely to recognise why I am thanking them in my credits, and of course, any added value that I have provided is open for anyone to use as they want under exactly the same conditions - keep it free.

Plus of course, most of my stuff is OK for me but unfit for public consumption, so won't see general release.

To recap. We all build on the work of our predecessors. If anyone says that they don't like that idea, then less gets achieved and everyone else loses by that amount. So be original, acknowledge that your originality is dependent on the originality of everyone that went before you, and that you are just adding what may be another ingredient in someone else's work tomorrow. Be proud of that.

I've not got much time for people who get precious over "their" work' date=' especially if it is just a pose derived from and using pre-existing assets. Due acknowledgement of any raw material used is simple good manners and encouragement. I have noticed that the truly creative are usually keen to have others use their work, it's some of the people who are most derivative of other people's efforts that get most proprietorial over their "tweaks".

[/quote']

Truer words my friend, have never been spoken. Good luck on the animation project. I pray you success and an eventual port to New Vegas and Sexout :D

Archived