A first hello and some questions ...

grind3r

Hello fellow loverslab dwellers ,this is my first post here as I decided to make an account and rise from my " lurking " state in this forum..

I am playing Skyrim for a long time on steam also having the dragonborn dlc , I have finished all the major quests for both and a lot of the minor ( a ton of them ) ,so I wanted to put some other stuff that I miss for my roleplay experience ( yeah the erotic ones ). I have read alot the guides  and the index but I continue to feel a bit lost as I haven't modded a game so extensively before and I wanted to ask some questions at first .

First of all I would apreciate if someone explains me some first steps ,I have downloaded SKSE ,Framework , Skeleton Extension ,I haven't downloaded something from nexus yet ..

a) In what order you install the basic "files" ,for example the SKSE first then the framework?

b ) Is there a specific program to install all this mods or you drag and drop the files into appropriate folders ?

c) Some main packs come divided by versions , I need to download and install all of them ? ( example, the XP32Maximum Skeleton Extended comes with

four zipped packages, I need  the 3.21 version or I need the first 2.82 also? )

d) I want to continue my game with my existing vanilla character can I use the mods with her ( and keep questing.. ) or I need a new game ?

e) Can I load the modded game from Steam or from another shortcut ? 

I have alot more questions but I am ok with these as I want to understand the "logic" behind this modding.I am sorry for all this noobish questions ,they might be so silly for the most members ... I appreciate your time and patience reading this ..

Thank you very much

There are tons of guides and I'm sure that many people will help you here, but instead of answering your questions, I would highly recommend you to watch Gopher's videos. You might think they are long, but he explains everything good and detailed, but yet simple to understand. I would suggest you to watch everything in the videos, but even if you don't want to, look in the video description, he wrote there what he talks about and also the specific times.

There are tons of guides and I'm sure that many people will help you here, but instead of answering your questions, I would highly recommend you to watch .You might think they are long, but he explains everything good and detailed, but yet simple to understand. I would suggest you to watch everything in the videos, but even if you don't want to, look in the video description, he wrote there what he talks about and also the specific times.

Thank you very much !! These video's should be very " handy " and a good starting point ! Yeah I  know there is no a  straight answer to these questions as someone can do things completely different  , some things would work and some not in different users . I feel so overwhelmed by all that info I read here and in other places that I needed a " clear " start...

There are tons of guides and I'm sure that many people will help you here, but instead of answering your questions, I would highly recommend you to watch .You might think they are long, but he explains everything good and detailed, but yet simple to understand. I would suggest you to watch everything in the videos, but even if you don't want to, look in the video description, he wrote there what he talks about and also the specific times.

Thank you very much !! These video's should be very " handy " and a good starting point ! Yeah I  know there is no a  straight answer to these questions as someone can do things completely different  , some things would work and some not in different users . I feel so overwhelmed by all that info I read here and in other places that I needed a " clear " start...

Okay, let me try to answer some of your questions then. Be aware that I'm not that much experienced and maybe other users could give you better answers.

a) First SKSE. But remember before you mod your game you have to start Skyrim from Steam at least once (keep that in mind if you would like to reinstall your game). Secondly any bigger, essential mods, for example the Unofficial Patches, than some Frameworks like Sexlab. But I would recommend you to install all Sexlab related stuff because Sexlab might be a bit hard for beginners, but after you understood the process, it's quite easy.

B) As you probably heard in the video (I haven't watched it but I know Gopher's quality) you should use Nexus Mod Manager (NMM). Manually installing is not recommended and Mod Organizer is for experienced users. Nexus Mod Manager is very simple and beginner friendly, use this one.

c) Mostly you will just need the newest version. Sometimes there are things like "Update from version x to version y", so if you have version x installed, but you would like to use version y, which is the newer one, you will need the update. Right now you probably haven't any mods installed, so you should just install the normal, newest version. UNLESS some mods require older versions before installing newer versions. Read descriptions, they will help you, because not all (but nearly all) mods are installed the same way.

d) That really depends on what mods you would like to use. Most mods should work fine with a vanilla save game, but some might not, because they require a totally new savegame, but they're very rarely. Many people will recommend you a new savegame because then you can be totally sure that nothing will conflict with your savegame. I would say make a copy of your savegame and try. Also a little suggestion: When you start to play with mods, be sure that you save often (every 30 minutes or less) and always make new savegames. It's just to be safe in case that there could be something that would corrupt your savegame or your game might crash.

e) If you have SKSE, which you totally should, no. Well, kind of. If you reinstall the game, be sure to run it at least once through Steam, otherwise you might find some bugs, especially graphical bugs. After you installed SKSE, you can still open up the launcher for changing something in the options, but don't use it to play the game. Run your game through SKSE. Gopher made a video on how to install that. Gopher made videos for various Skyrim mods, but no adult mods. But don't think about Sexlab right now, you should install various other things before, and Sexlab later.

Thank you Ventus2111 so much for answering ,it is very usefull ( I didn't read elsewhere that I must run Skyrim at least one time from steam before modding ) , Gopher is just amazing , all clear in details .. I ll check S.T.E.P. too after watching Gopher , I usually prefer reading from videos but this guy is awesome ..

Ok guys I installed my first mods SKSE , SkyUI , with the unofficial patches for main game and dragonborn as i have only this dlc .. I run the SKSE loader but the game loaded from steam , I missed something ?  Can I download the vanilla from steam with no problems if I decide again?

Thank you

Ok guys I installed my first mods SKSE , SkyUI , with the unofficial patches for main game and dragonborn as i have only this dlc .. I run the SKSE loader but the game loaded from steam , I missed something ?  Can I download the vanilla from steam with no problems if I decide again?

Thank you

What exactly do you mean by loaded? Did it open the steam Skyrim-launcher? When you run the SKSE.exe it should simply start the game. Make sure you have Steam running in the background, otherwise it will start Steam and then open the normal Skyrim launcher.

Yes, you can always just scratch your old Skyrim installation and redownload the game from steam if you want a completely vanilla game, just make sure there aren't any mods left in the folder.

Oh ok I have n't done something wrong then , when I launch the SKSE loader the steam is running in backround ( I thought that steam wouldn't run at all ) .. Yeah the game  simple start from there it doesn't open the game launcher..

Thank you very very much as I terrified wrongly by that !!

hey thank you ..! I am glad that I found Loverslab , I already have so much fun with the mods here ( ok , I try to play safe and don't overdo it , I had some crashes :s  with some ).. Gopher helped me so much with the previous link Ventus2111 gave me that I have n't problem to deal with more comlex issues .. Now that I have already intsalled things with nexus manager is there a way to go to Mod Manager without trying from the scratch ? .. I haven't watch the video you gave me yet ( maybe the answer is there ) ..

There is a function to import your NMM mods to MO and Gopher made a video about it. I don't know about this function.

The 'disadvantage' of MO is that it is NOT for completely new beginners. You need to know things like installing mods, conflicts, and basically managing stuff on your own instead of letting a program doing it for you. But trust me, it probably sounds harder than it is if you are a bit advantaged. I used NMM for a long time and recently switched to MO and I'm happy about this choice.

Assuming you know all that, you can either try to install it on your own or watch a video. There is also a tutorial build into MO. It covers mostof the functions it has. You can either choose the tutorial, Gopher's videos or even both. But in the end, you need to know enough to solve problems on your own. That's probably the most hardest part to learn, but after you figured it out, you will surely agree that MO is a lot better than NMM. It's much simpler, has a much better layout, and also it does everything in a seperate area, so you can play vanilla Skyrim and modded Skyrim whenever you want. It also has a function for mod profiles, which let's you switch between certain versions of your modded Skyrim (instantly turn off/on as many mods as you want to). MO still has some tiny bugs, but if you use it, you will (or at least you should) be able to fix/ avoid them. But there really aren't many, I think I know only 2 so far.

So all in all, MO is much better, but for experienced users. Do you know what conflicts are and how to solve them? Do you know how to install and use mods like FNIS or SKSE? Do you know what load order is? Do you know about folder structures of mods? If you can answer all that, you should consider switching to MO.

There is a function to import your NMM mods to MO and Gopher made a video about it. I don't know about this function.

The 'disadvantage' of MO is that it is NOT for completely new beginners. You need to know things like installing mods, conflicts, and basically managing stuff on your own instead of letting a program doing it for you. But trust me, it probably sounds harder than it is if you are a bit advantaged. I used NMM for a long time and recently switched to MO and I'm happy about this choice.

Assuming you know all that, you can either try to install it on your own or watch a video. There is also a tutorial build into MO. It covers mostof the functions it has. You can either choose the tutorial, Gopher's videos or even both. But in the end, you need to know enough to solve problems on your own. That's probably the most hardest part to learn, but after you figured it out, you will surely agree that MO is a lot better than NMM. It's much simpler, has a much better layout, and also it does everything in a seperate area, so you can play vanilla Skyrim and modded Skyrim whenever you want. It also has a function for mod profiles, which let's you switch between certain versions of your modded Skyrim (instantly turn off/on as many mods as you want to). MO still has some tiny bugs, but if you use it, you will (or at least you should) be able to fix/ avoid them. But there really aren't many, I think I know only 2 so far.

So all in all, MO is much better, but for experienced users. Do you know what conflicts are and how to solve them? Do you know how to install and use mods like FNIS or SKSE? Do you know what load order is? Do you know about folder structures of mods? If you can answer all that, you should consider switching to MO.

Thank you Ventus ( again ) for your advice ..As I am complete noob and I have my first modded version of Skyrim working fine right now, with all the mods I wanted to supplement my roleplay experience, I ll stick to NMM for awhile .I know conflicts by reading the mod's info files and from various notes. I am aware of what mods use FNIS ( I think ) .I already installed FNIS and SKSE and have a " light " idea around them .I know how important the load order is .Basically I don't care about enhanced graphics or extra missions and so on as my graphic card is a bit dated , I wanted to add a " dating sim " flavour and I achieved that somehow ( there are some other things I want to accomplish as different bodies for every npc female character ... ), the arousal mod gave me a headache and even the redux version causes some overload problems.

Anyway ,to our topic, the option that MO gives you  by switching mod versions and you can play the vanilla is veeeery tempting :cool: , I feel I could experiment more freely with it ..If Gopher make me feel comfortable enough I ll do it :P

Thank you M4rth ! I ll try this ,I experience ctd periodically usually before or after adult scenes .I have noticed that an area can "overload " if a specific number of scenes have played and that lead to  ctd , I am not so sure but I have that impression.Sometimes a savegame of this place can become " corrupted " ,it won't load again.. Some few issues I wanted to mention.

Hello , I wanted to ask...

If I am going to install dawnguard in my already modded game that would cause troubles ? Even if I have installed the unofficial patch for Dawnguard before loading the game?

Thanks

I don't think that should cause trouble, but you should think about cleaning your masterfiles with tes5 edit. ( if you didn't already do that)

If not.... well Gopher made a video :P

If I am going to install dawnguard in my already modded game that would cause troubles ? Even if I have installed the unofficial patch for Dawnguard before loading the game?

Thanks

I don't think that should cause trouble, but you should think about cleaning your masterfiles with tes5 edit. ( if you didn't already do that)

As far as I can say, Gopher explains it completely right, but he's doing too many steps. I don't know if that's because of the older TES5Edit version which he used in his video (2 years old).

I try to make it simple. If anyone else (M4rth, wonderful body mod by the way  ;)) has something to add, please do so.

1. Download TES5Edit and place the folder at your Skyrim folder. You can make a shortcut for TES5Edit.exe to your desktop if you want to. Not sure if the newest NMM version has the tool function (launching programs directly from NMM), but if it has, you can add it there as well if you want to. I don't know how you manage your Skyrim programs, just be sure that you can find everything.

2. Start TES5Edit.exe. A menu will pop up. Right-click and then left-click on 'Select none'. After that, click on the file you want to clean (Update.esm, Dawnguard.esm, ...) (the box next to it will be checked). Click 'Ok' and wait until it finishes loading (on the right bottom the program will say 'Background Loader: finished'). It will automatically load all master files (files that the mod needs to loaded before itself, for example Dawnguard.esm requires Skyrim.esm and Update.esm). Gopher checks the master files by himself, but that is not necessary.

3. Now to the actual cleaning. Right-click on the file and select 'Remove "Identical to Master" records'. If there's a warning, don't worry, it just tells you that you're going to edit (clean) the file. After that is done, right-click the file again and select 'Undelete and Disable References'. After this is done too, you can close TES5Edit. You can make a backup of the cleaned file if you want to. Be sure to select 'Okay' to save your changes.

If you want it more visual and with more information, you can still watch Gopher's video, but be aware that he does Step 2 in another way which is also right but simply costs a bit more time.

How do you know what files to clean: Use LOOT. It's an essential program that sorts your mods, so that you have a good and stable load order and it also shows you dirty files and depending on what mods you use some warnings or messages. Some CTDs only happen because of load order problems or missing masters, and LOOT can tell you that and do even more for you.

Thanks

As far as I can say, Gopher explains it completely right, but he's doing too many steps. I don't know if that's because of the older TES5Edit version which he used in his video (2 years old).

I try to make it simple. If anyone else (M4rth, wonderful body mod by the way  ;)) has something to add, please do so.

1. Download TES5Edit and place the folder at your Skyrim folder. You can make a shortcut for TES5Edit.exe to your desktop if you want to. Not sure if the newest NMM version has the tool function (launching programs directly from NMM), but if it has, you can add it there as well if you want to. I don't know how you manage your Skyrim programs, just be sure that you can find everything.

2. Start TES5Edit.exe. A menu will pop up. Right-click and then left-click on 'Select none'. After that, click on the file you want to clean (Update.esm, Dawnguard.esm, ...) (the box next to it will be checked). Click 'Ok' and wait until it finishes loading (on the right bottom the program will say 'Background Loader: finished'). It will automatically load all master files (files that the mod needs to loaded before itself, for example Dawnguard.esm requires Skyrim.esm and Update.esm). Gopher checks the master files by himself, but that is not necessary.

3. Now to the actual cleaning. Right-click on the file and select 'Remove "Identical to Master" records'. If there's a warning, don't worry, it just tells you that you're going to edit (clean) the file. After that is done, right-click the file again and select 'Undelete and Disable References'. After this is done too, you can close TES5Edit. You can make a backup of the cleaned file if you want to. Be sure to select 'Okay' to save your changes.

If you want it more visual and with more information, you can still watch Gopher's video, but be aware that he does Step 2 in another way which is also right but simply costs a bit more time.

How do you know what files to clean: Use LOOT. It's an essential program that sorts your mods, so that you have a good and stable load order and it also shows you dirty files and depending on what mods you use some warnings or messages. Some CTDs only happen because of load order problems or missing masters, and LOOT can tell you that and do even more for you.

I could not have explained that better. :3

"(M4rth, wonderful body mod by the way   ;)"

Archived