Companion Conversions

Kodiak

I was interested in learning how to possibly convert FO3 companions, such as the Jessie mod as an example, to New Vegas. First question I guess would be is it even possible and second would be if anyone knew where a decent tutorial was. I didn't find much of what I was looking for on the Wiki.

The idea is to basically bring Jessie (or another FO3 mod companion) strip her down to bare basics, nothing FO3 specific, and drop her in Goodspring or another early on town, maybe Novac.

Is there another tool besides GECK I'd need for this? Or would it be easier just to make a companion from scratch at the cost of losing nifty little scripts and such.

Guest Loogie

I don't know how hard it would be, truthfully. If they depend on another companion system instead of having their own built-in, I figure they'd need to to be ported over to something in NV that manages companions - that's going to be your hardest part.

The simplest will be RR Companion Vault companions. After that would be converting to NosCo system. Hardest AND easiest will be custom companion systems (some will transfer unaltered, some will need complete rewrites).

The ACM Fem Fatales mod at the Nexus is a large collection of well known female NPCs from FO3 to FONV using the NosCo system.

If you don't know how to mod it may be best to do a request thread for a specific companion and one of us can take a look and see what would be required.

Good information all around. I guess my next question is simply, how would I go about changing a master file for a mod. I'm attempting to bring a FO3 outfit to NV. Basic GECK stuff like placement ans such I can do, but if the esp requires the FO3 esm, how can I get that to load up and change it to the NV esm? Or am I missing something very simple?

Good information all around. I guess my next question is simply' date=' how would I go about changing a master file for a mod. I'm attempting to bring a FO3 outfit to NV. Basic GECK stuff like placement ans such I can do, but if the esp requires the FO3 esm, how can I get that to load up and change it to the NV esm? Or am I missing something very simple?

[/quote']

There's two things you'll have to do... change the version number of the esp and change the master from Fallout3.esm to FalloutNV.esm. It's simplest to change both using fo3edit and immediately exit and save. Copy the esp to your NV data folder and re-open in fnvedit.

Another option is to just change the version number and copy FalloutNV.esm and rename the copy Fallout3.esm and change masters in fnvedit.

You can also do this in fo3plugin/fnvplugin.

FYI, I think the current version numbers for use in the file headers are 0.94 for FO3 and 1.34 for FONV.

Archived