[Advice appreciated] New Computer Build for Fallout 4

LewdFaelarie

I hope no one minds but I'm just going to copy paste my /reddit buildapc over here.

But I'm basically looking for build advice.

Build Help/Ready:

Have you read the sidebar and rules? (Please do)

Yes

What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.

High end modding of Skyrim and potentially Fallout 4 modding. I also want to fit a black/green themed water cooled system, sort of a fallout themed color scheme, but a more futuristic approach.

If gaming, what kind of performance are you looking for? (Screen resolution, FPS, game settings)

I'm looking for 60+ at least on skyrim at 1440p with heavy texture mods.

What is your budget (ballpark is okay)?

In what country are you purchasing your parts? United States of America

Post a draft of your potential build here (specific parts please). Consider formatting your parts list.

CPU | Intel Core I7 4790k 4.0ghz

MotherBoard | Asus SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK2 ATX LGA1150

GPU | Radeon Fury X

Onboard Ram | Kingston Beast 16GB DDR3-1866 (4*4GB)

SSD | Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB SSD

HDD | Western Digital BLACK SERIES 7200 RPM HDD

PSU | Corsair HX750i 80+ Platinum Fully Mod ATX

OpticalDrive | LG UH12NS29 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer

Operating System | Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit)

Thermal Paste |

Thermal Paste |

Thermal Paste |

Motherboard Wires Green | BitFenix Alchemy Multisleeved

Case | BitFenix Colossus Venom Window Green LED

Reservoir | FrozenQ LF Reaction Dual Bay Reservoir Acetal UV Green Helix

Reservoir | FrozenQ LF Reaction 400mm Cylinder Reservoir Black Cap UV Green Helix

Pump | Swiftech Dual Extreme Black

Radiator |

Radiator Fans |

Fittings |

Water Lines |

Coolant |

Water Block CPU | EK Supremacy EVO Universal CPU Liquid Cooling Block - Plexi CSQ

Water Block North Bridge |

Water Block South Bridge |

Water Block Ram Cards | Bitspower Galaxy Universal RAM Module Liquid Cooling Block 4-DIMMs Clear

Water Block GPU |

Water Treatment |

Case Fans |

Fan Controller | Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 XT USB Fan Controller

Fan Controller Cover | Aquacomputer Aquaero 5 and 6 XT Aluminum Faceplate - Black

Led Strips |

Monitor | BenQ XL2730Z 144Hz 27.0" Monitor

Keyboard | Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB Wired

Mouse | Roccat KONE XTD Wired Optical RGB

Mouse Pad |

Headphones | Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X

Speakers |

Table |

Chair |

Provide any additional details you wish below.

I left a lot of these catagories empty because I plan on carrying over what I'm currently using, am not exactly sure what I need yet to match the given parts, have not researched a given part well enough to decide, or haven't yet found a part to match the green/black theme.

I'm also really open to other case designs that might fit the theme, I would really prefer a full atx case.

Idea on why i picked some parts though.

cpu: Don't feel like paying for the x99 board, and there are no green/black x99 or z97 boards that I'm aware of. If there are any I would be willing to switch to match those boards.

Motherboard: I'm not too picky when it comes to bios, I couldn't really find any pure black, or green/black motherboards to fit the theme so I just settled with this. Would be entirely willing to change for an upgrade or theme matcher.

GPU: I like the idea of HBM, I'm quiet worried about the limited amount of RAM though. I'm considering going with a 980ti instead, but the enthusiast in me wants to have one of the first boards to have HBM in it, and direct x12 has potential VRAM stacking in the future?

RAM: 1866 is the fastest that my mobo supports that I'm aware of? Want to go 4*4 to match ram waterblock

SSD: I have limited knowledge on SSD and just chose 500gb for the size

HDD: Also have limited HDD knowledge and choose based on advice and 1tb size

Optical drive: Litterally 0 knowledge and choose based on ability to use blueray dvd and cd.

Thermal pastes: I listed 3 empty ones for different parts? I've heard that you need to have specific pastes for GPU's CPU's Ect

Motherboard Wires: Just trying to match theme

Case: The best that i've come across with theme matching, I really want a window, preferably clear(not tinted green). Looking for a Full ATX

Reservoirs: Just matching theme

Pump: Advice from friend

Radiator: Not sure what the case fits, will probably wait to get until case arrives.

Fittings/water lines/coolant: Waiting for case

Waterblocks: Trying to match theme, clear seems like it would be nice for the green coolant that i plan on using

Fan controller: Would be neat to have a controller match the theme based on water cooling

Monitor: To match the radeon Fury x's capabilties in 1440p with free sync, I would swap if i got a 980ti to a 1440p gsync

Keyboard: Either this or razor chroma, i liked the RGB and key caps on this better

Mouse: Pretty set on this, decent optical mouse with RGB, that seems like it would fit my lazy palm style

Mouse pad: I currently have a large steel series, but I'm looking to find a full keyboard/mouse pad that fits the black/green theme

Headphones: I have ad700's right now but the ad700x fits theme better

Speakers: Currently using some $150 klipsch 2.1 speakers from bestbuy, I was thinking about getting Corsair Gaming Audio Series SP2500 or a 5.1 surround sound system. I really prefer using speakers over my headphones most of the time, but I'm not sure how i would setup stands to fit a 5.1 system

Table: Haven't looked into it yet, but I want the computer to sit on the desk to the right of the monitor, and would prefer a black/green design.

Chair: Would prefer to match theme I have no knowledge of gaming chairs/ computer chairs.

NOTE: You do not have to follow this format, but please be sure to answer these questions. Please do not ask to simply be given a build. You are welcome to delete this section.

GPU: After reading a lot of different reviews, on a lot of different sites I came to the conclusion that Fury X it's not worth the money they ask for. My hope did not die entirely. I still think with new drivers and unlocking the voltage for overclocking capabilities, this card can kick ass. At the moment performance/watt is on NVidia side with their 980 Ti.

RAM: You should reconsider and go for 16 GB Quad Channel G.Skill/Corsair.

SSD: For the gaming purpose the entry level SSD you choose it's enough.

HDD: You can go for easily with 2 TB HGST/Hitachi or Samsung.

Monitor: Drop the TN and go for IPS. Trust me when you are going to play on an IPS monitor, you will never want to play on something else.

Waterblocks: From Corsair or Cooler Master, I think they are all black but can be modified.

I've made quite a bit of changes to my last build over the few days that I've been looking at news.

Anyway if you're still lurking on this thread this is what I'm currently sitting at.

************************************************************************************************************************************************

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 12g Thermal Paste  ($16.85 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: EVGA Z97 Classified EATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($218.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Beast 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($177.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($70.99 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Colossus Venom Window (Black) ATX Full Tower Case  ($128.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS29 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer  ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit)  ($85.75 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer XB270HU bprz 144Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($805.93 @ Mwave)
Keyboard: SteelSeries Apex M800 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: ROCCAT KONE XTD Wired Optical Mouse  ($62.19 @ Amazon)
Other: FrozenQ Reservoir  ($109.99)
Other: BitFenix Mobo Wires ($50.00)
Other: FrozenQ Reservoir 2 ($134.99)
Other: Swiftech Dual Extreme Black ($199.99) (Water Pump)
Other: EK Supremacy EVO Universal ($74.99) (CPU Waterblock)
Other: Bitspower Galaxy Universal RAM ($99.99) (Ram Waterblock)
Other: Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 XT USB Fan Controller ($249.99)
Other: 6 XT Aluminum Faceplate - Black ($13.99)
Other: EVGA 980 ti HydroCopper ($799.99)
Total: $4165.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-27 05:38 EDT-0400

************************************************************************************************************************************************

I really don't know much about RAM, any chance you could throw me a link to that quad channel RAM, and possibly some info on what the differences are or some resource, either or would be really cool :)

Yea I only planned on putting the OS, and a few specific games on SSD and then using the HDD for everything else, I'm not sure if i really need 2tb though to be honest, I've had 2 64gb ssd's and a 500gb hdd for about 3 years now and don't really have too many problems.

I switched the monitor when I switched to the 980ti for Gsync, and did some research and it looks like the predator has IPS, along with a whole host of other neat things.

One thing that I'm still bouncing around on is whether or not I should get a Hydrocopper 980ti from EVGA or get a reference or superclocked reference card and putting a waterblock on myself.

I have an EVGA board so the EVGA hydrocopper would fit,  but I've also seen some clear waterblocks that fight the 980ti that would be really neat too.

Really the only thing that i have no knowledge on is radiators, I don't know what fits in the case and I'm not exactly sure what to look for.

I've pretty much cleared up the fittings, water lines, coolant, case fans, led strips and mouse pad.

I've also decided that I'm probably going to stray away from speakers and stay with my current ones, and I'm likely going to build my own custom table fit to my room and needs.

I also have literally no idea on what good gaming chairs exist and what features to look for.

I appreciate the help!

If you are in only for gaming Dual Channel or Quad Channel it doesn't make any difference, you will not see any gain in performance. But if you are multitasking (big time) or may be working with some large files, there is a small performance gain with Quad Channel Memory. Also there is a difference between "Quad Channel" as performance and "Quad Channel Kit" - just 4 Bars of Memory that will work if installed in all 4 Slots as Dual Channel.

In my opinion the motherboard you chose it's not worth the price I'll go with Asus Z-97 Pro  and G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16GB / G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16GB for the memory.

I think ROG PG279Q from Asus as a monitor is far superior if you are willing to wait a little.

For a water cooling solution you need to ask yourself what do you want in first place? Your own closed/open loop solution that will take care of all your hardware or just some custom solutions for different parts of your system.

Looked up the dual and quad channel ram and found out that if I'm not using the correct channel it can occasionally create stability issues, I switched to http://pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-memory-hx324c11t3k216

Also swapped out the waterblock to match it. (purely for aesthetic reasons)

Did some research on cas vs speed looks like this is the best find i can get for my theme.

I'm probably going to stick with the evga board just because it fits the theme bitter imo.  

I really wanted a green gigabyte board shown here http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/gigabyte-adds-ga-z97x-game-plus-to-line-up.html but it looks like it's not available in the united states.

That looks like a really nice monitor but I'm looking to stay in the 2560-1440p style monitors.

Decided to stick with the evga hydrocopper if i can get my hands on it due to them having better dyes then most reference cards, heard some really good reviews on the 980 hydrocopper so I'm hoping it carries over well to the 980ti.

I still can't find out any info on the case with radiators and what fits in it though :/

I actually don't see the point sacrificing the speed and performance for interior aesthetics. You need your computer to have the best performance and for modding just google for "Case Modding".

The memory you chose it's 1.65 V

What are the Intel® Core™ i7 desktop processor DDR3 memory voltage limitations?
Intel® recommends using memory that adheres to the Jedec memory specification for DDR3 memory which is 1.5 volts, plus or minus 5%. Anything over this voltage can either damage the processor or significantly reduce the processor life span.

I actually don't see the point sacrificing the speed and performance for interior aesthetics. You need your computer to have the best performance and for modding just google for "Case Modding".

The memory you chose it's 1.65 V

What are the Intel® Core™ i7 desktop processor DDR3 memory voltage limitations?

Intel® recommends using memory that adheres to the Jedec memory specification for DDR3 memory which is 1.5 volts, plus or minus 5%. Anything over this voltage can either damage the processor or significantly reduce the processor life span.

I understand what case modding is, I plan on modding the eatx mobo as well.

I might consider taking this computer to local modding competitions as well.

I mean this computer is literally going to be the centerpiece of a completely theme based room, so I want EVERYTHING to match as well as possible while not sacrificing that much performance.

If I wanted the max performance I wouldn't even be water cooling, for 4k i could probably get something with titans in sli.  That's not what I'm going for though.

I'm considering waiting for the skylake to come out and get a 1151 mobo for some decent future proof letting me get at least the cannonlake after that, but it looks like the skylake from early benchmarks isn't really that beneficial, and will be possibly not offering anything above quad core till 2017.

I'm also considering streaming and doing some modeling and modding for fallout 4, maybe i should just switch to the x99 mobo and grab some ddr4 and a 5820k for the two extra cores.

Archived