How does BU work?

redizi

This thread here gives you the lowdown on this fascinating topic on all its glorious 45 pages: http://www.loverslab.com/showthread.php?tid=9

My own 'too long didn't read' explanation goes like this: While taking combat damage, your armor's internal predefined health value is getting deteriorated. The BU system uses a specialized ini file that links armor health thresholds to quest stages.

Whenever armor health falls below a certain value, one of these quest stages is triggered. Now for the nifty part - in the meshes folder, there is not only one mesh of this BU armor but three, four (or even more) different nifs of the armor in stages of progressive destruction, modeled by resourceful and especially pervy modders :). With NifSkope, you can further edit the nifs yourself by deleting parts you deem unnecessary.

Each of these quest stages commands the game engine to switch to the next nif of your armor, exchanging them with more and more damaged versions - up to the very last nif only consisting of decoratively booty-baring wrecked rudiments of formerly protective gear.

Other effects are triggered at the same time. A clanging sound effect, a graphical effect symbolizing shards of the armor's material flying off and last but not least a message colorfully describing the damage. Default message is the slightly boring "...clothes torn in the furious struggle!" Once you edit the BU ini to your liking, you can get more creative with stuff like "There goes your breechcloth!" or "YOU'RE BUTT-NAKED!!"

All of the above applies to the majority of BU equipment depending on the BU ini file. There are some armors that use a specialized embedded script that basically does the same thing as the ini, detecting armor damage and then triggering the switch to the next more damaged version. You don't need to worry about editing the BU ini file yourself. A major disadvantage is that the messages are more tricky to edit (but not much) to have custom messages displayed, it has to be done by editing the script itself in the Construction Set. 'Dancing Shadow Rose' is such a case.

To me, the 'Break Undies' system has a special sentimental value: When I started getting interested in it, I found the above thread on this site. It was my first contact with LoversLab! Without BU perhaps I wouldn't even be here... :s

Archived