Step2: Extract the file to the DOA5LR directory

Step3:

- Run Game.bat to start the game

Or

- Run the Game through Steam then run BetterKeyboardLayout.exe

How to Remap Keyboard Keys:

BetterKeyboardLayout DOA5LR v1.01.rar

• 3 weeks later...

I've posted a large comment in the previous topic, also I have no idea if it got noticed at all, so I will take the liberty to repost it once again for the last time...

I have just registered here specifically so I can comment on this mod, so here are my thoughts.

I believe this mod is on the right trek and has a great potential, but also I believe there are things to reconsider and to improve.

First of all its indisputable pro is the way it integrates into DoA5: it launches automatically when you launch the game, works with no errors in the background and automatically shuts itself down when user quits the game. That is perfection, as streamlined and non-annoying as it gets, much better from the alternatives that one has to shut down manually each and every time.

Now what I think can really be improved is the actual mapping offering. Basically DoA5 porting team gave us an arbitrary set of keys to use and in limited cases to chose from, their layout made little sense, so here comes the mod and gives us another arbitrary set of keys to use and in limited cases to chose from that make much more sense, but still ultimately is uncontested and defined by someone else (the author of the mod) and not by players. For example, using horizontal rows of Num Pad makes perfect sense for kick/punch/block buttons, I use those myself all the time in fighting games, except I prefer Num 4/5/6 to Num 7/8/9 offered in the mod. Enter and Backspace seems to make sense as menu accept/cancel buttons, but in reality such a layout forces player to change their hand position constantly instead of resting hands comfortably on the same useful buttons all the time. Punch button for accept and kick button for cancel is much better to me, in the end that is basically what people are used to by playing fightings in ePSXe/Dolphin/PCSX2 and other emulators.

So Better Keyboard Layout mod is already able to make DoA5 use whatever keys the mod wants, the next step should be to give players the power to be able to make Better Keyboard Layout mod use whatever keys players want. As I understand it, layouts described in the quoted picture above are currently hard coded into BetterKeyboardLayout.exe. What I offer is to break the base of the mod into two separate files instead of one, let BetterKeyboardLayout.exe read button layouts from something akin to BetterKeyboardLayout.ini, allow players to modify every button possible in that .ini (including Universal, Fight and Movies keys, basically all of the keys there are), just like in every config file.

I guess that should not be too hard to accomplish for a skilful programmer who was able to create BetterKeyboardLayout 1.01 in the first place, also it will enhance usefulness of the mod to great degrees.

So what do you think, is my suggestion any good?

I've posted a large comment in the previous topic, also I have no idea if it got noticed at all, so I will take the liberty to repost it once again for the last time...

I have just registered here specifically so I can comment on this mod, so here are my thoughts.

I believe this mod is on the right trek and has a great potential, but also I believe there are things to reconsider and to improve.

First of all its indisputable pro is the way it integrates into DoA5: it launches automatically when you launch the game, works with no errors in the background and automatically shuts itself down when user quits the game. That is perfection, as streamlined and non-annoying as it gets, much better from the alternatives that one has to shut down manually each and every time.

Now what I think can really be improved is the actual mapping offering. Basically DoA5 porting team gave us an arbitrary set of keys to use and in limited cases to chose from, their layout made little sense, so here comes the mod and gives us another arbitrary set of keys to use and in limited cases to chose from that make much more sense, but still ultimately is uncontested and defined by someone else (the author of the mod) and not by players. For example, using horizontal rows of Num Pad makes perfect sense for kick/punch/block buttons, I use those myself all the time in fighting games, except I prefer Num 4/5/6 to Num 7/8/9 offered in the mod. Enter and Backspace seems to make sense as menu accept/cancel buttons, but in reality such a layout forces player to change their hand position constantly instead of resting hands comfortably on the same useful buttons all the time. Punch button for accept and kick button for cancel is much better to me, in the end that is basically what people are used to by playing fightings in ePSXe/Dolphin/PCSX2 and other emulators.

So Better Keyboard Layout mod is already able to make DoA5 use whatever keys the mod wants, the next step should be to give players the power to be able to make Better Keyboard Layout mod use whatever keys players want. As I understand it, layouts described in the quoted picture above are currently hard coded into BetterKeyboardLayout.exe. What I offer is to break the base of the mod into two separate files instead of one, let BetterKeyboardLayout.exe read button layouts from something akin to BetterKeyboardLayout.ini, allow players to modify every button possible in that .ini (including Universal, Fight and Movies keys, basically all of the keys there are), just like in every config file.

I guess that should not be too hard to accomplish for a skilful programmer who was able to create BetterKeyboardLayout 1.01 in the first place, also it will enhance usefulness of the mod to great degrees.

So what do you think, is my suggestion any good?

Thanks for the suggestion :)

I noticed it the first time you posted it and tried doing .ini thing you suggested but i am still not successful in making a script that will make it read the bindings from a .ini file.

I'm not skilled in any way but i'll keep trying during my free time

• 1 month later...

Archived