character face import for NPCs?

joegeis

I'm not a modder. I dabbled with Oblivion a bit, customizing weapons and, but I decided I wanted to create some of my own followers in Skyrim. In addition to many other challenges I am facing, I've noticed that they all look... ugly. I'm not very skilled at creating good looking characters, especially in the CK. I would love to be able to download the savegame files of other peoples atractive toons and import them into the CK for use with my created (or edited, existing) NPCs.

Is this possible? If so, can someone lay out some steps for me?

Many thanks.

Oh, and first time poster! ;)

If I'm correct and I understand correctly you just want to change faces of certain NPCs?

If so, why don't you try out with the Creation Kit? I modded some NPCs with it & they are now my taste of 'style'. The Creation kit should allow you to change NPCs appearances & you also can create your own followers (although I don't truly get it how you put them in your game).

It is possible to do what you want by loading a specific savegame and type in savepcface .

This will save your pc´s face and put the saved file right into Skyrim´s root directory. Now you open up the CK, select the npc you would like to change, go to the facemorphing section and import that file you previously saved.

You should know however, that there is currently an issue with custom followers. Their face will appear dark ingame. In order to fix that you need to convert your .esp to an .esm and press ctrl+f4 once you selected your custom companion.

It is possible to do what you want by loading a specific savegame and type in savepcface .

This will save your pc´s face and put the saved file right into Skyrim´s root directory. Now you open up the CK' date=' select the npc you would like to change, go to the facemorphing section and import that file you previously saved.

You should know however, that there is currently an issue with custom followers. Their face will appear dark ingame. In order to fix that you need to convert your .esp to an .esm and press ctrl+f4 once you selected your custom companion.

[/quote']

Holy shit, so that's the workaround uh. I'm gonna try that.

wow, lots of great info, thanks!

I have tried creating faces within the creation kit, but I am no good at it, and they look funky. There are lots of faces out there that I have seen that I do like, and would prefer to use those.

I guess I will have to google the "NPC Editor" because I have not heard of this before.

akbaa - thank you for the instructions. Will I have issues if I just heavily mod an existing follower? I am taking Jenessa and changing her race, appearance, voice, etc... I was going to do this because I dont know how to make one of my NPCs into a follower.

Thanks!!

edit - so I downloaded a savegame of a good looking character, loaded it, pulled up the console and enterered "savepcface" and I get the message "missing parameter string / compiled script not saved." What am I doing wrong?

-------------

edit 2 - so I just created a new NPC and fudged up the face by trying to get values "close" to that of the savegame I downloaded by taking screenshots in the the showracemenu (didnt really work, lol), but now I have another issue. I created her as a new NPC and based her off Jenassa:

jgihw0.jpg

but I do not get the dialogue option to hire her. She just keeps asking what she can do for me and I can only respond with "Nothing at the moment" (or something to that effect anyways). I know this is not the same problem as I stated in the title of the thread, but figured this would be better than starting multiple threads for the same issue.

Oh, and here is the face I want to create as a follower, if anyone is interested:

2976-1-1325880605.jpg

edit - so I downloaded a savegame of a good looking character' date=' loaded it, pulled up the console and enterered "savepcface" and I get the message "missing parameter string / compiled script not saved." What am I doing wrong?

[/quote']

It's asking you for a name to save the file with. You can give it whatever you want.

I posted about this a while back here:

http://www.loverslab.com/showthread.php?tid=5077&pid=105868#pid105868

Just keep in mind that when you import the face to the CK, it'll be based on all the current active esp. Meaning if you import a face with special hair, like Apachii, it won't show up. It would require a custom esp file prior to it. Its a real pain in the arse lol. My suggestion is gather all the eye/hair/skin whatever you want on your custom npc first, then make an esp file. THEN import the face, and it should show up properly.

The only thing I've yet to figure out is how to get extended colors to show up right. I just finally found out about the patch for custom races, that the author made. Not sure if it works inside CK though :(

I posted about this a while back here:

http://www.loverslab.com/showthread.php?tid=5077&pid=105868#pid105868

Just keep in mind that when you import the face to the CK' date=' it'll be based on all the current active esp. Meaning if you import a face with special hair, like Apachii, it won't show up. It would require a custom esp file prior to it. Its a real pain in the arse lol. My suggestion is gather all the eye/hair/skin whatever you want on your custom npc first, then make an esp file. THEN import the face, and it should show up properly.

The only thing I've yet to figure out is how to get extended colors to show up right. I just finally found out about the patch for custom races, that the author made. Not sure if it works inside CK though :(

[/quote']

hrm, so I am using Apachii Hair, but all the other mods were just texture replacers (like Bella's) and not esps, so as long as Apachii loads first, should I be okay? Im a bit confused! (see my "Im not a modder disclaimer in my OP ;) )

edit - so, the face i imported actually was using stock hair. After I import the face, can I change the hair in the CK rather than import it?

Peoples! How do I convert ESP into ESM so cntrl+F4 is working? Sorry for beeing dumb' date='but can't find a clear answer anywhere.

Made few NICE presets tho,all shiznit seem top work fine: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/imageshare/images/537675-1331168396.jpg

Trying to slap my custom face to companion - cntrl+F4 does NOTHING,obviously, cause it is an ESP,not ESM.

heeeelp! :)

[/quote']

I use TESsnip in FOMM. First I copy the esp to my FO3 data folder. Then I open FOMM and right click on the esp. Select 'Open in TESsnip'. Then select 'Spells'. In the drop down box that comes up select 'Make esm'. When the window comes up to save the file change the save type to 'Master File' and save it to your skyrim data folder.

I'm sure there's a much easier way to do it, but that way works for me.

Peoples! How do I convert ESP into ESM so cntrl+F4 is working? Sorry for beeing dumb' date='but can't find a clear answer anywhere.

Made few NICE presets tho,all shiznit seem top work fine: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/imageshare/images/537675-1331168396.jpg

Trying to slap my custom face to companion - cntrl+F4 does NOTHING,obviously, cause it is an ESP,not ESM.

heeeelp! :)

[/quote']

I use TESsnip in FOMM. First I copy the esp to my FO3 data folder. Then I open FOMM and right click on the esp. Select 'Open in TESsnip'. Then select 'Spells'. In the drop down box that comes up select 'Make esm'. When the window comes up to save the file change the save type to 'Master File' and save it to your skyrim data folder.

I'm sure there's a much easier way to do it, but that way works for me.

Thanks Kalell! Shit seems to work, for the most parts at least. I do not remember what I did use - but I think it was FOMM - and there is an option to make an esm. Whole face data is working! Only data not working-lips overlay. Maybe makeup too. I use the lightest makeup so it is almost the same as "no makeup" -easy to miss.

Gonna try that cntrl+f4 thing now....

• 1 month later...

Wow This thread just Saved me a Ton of time trying to figure out how to import faces Thanks! now I can get back to creating my own followers, Thanks for all the tips guys/gals!

An yes I know this is an old thread but I figured I'd say my thanks anyway :P.

This will save your pc´s face and put the saved file right into Skyrim´s root directory. Now you open up the CK' date=' select the npc you would like to change, go to the facemorphing section and import that file you previously saved.

[/quote']

hah, never heard that you can do that, is it only works with skyrim or it also works with other bethesda game like FO3/FNV..

anyway, thanks for sharing the trick...

Archived