Subversion Repo for my Skyrim installation?

mewwwkittytt

Would it be a good idea to run a local Subversion (SVN) server and make the first commit contain all of the vanilla game files in case I want/need to "restore" to the original game?

The only problem with making SVN backups after installing mods will be NMM will not count un-installed mods "un-installed" (or will it?)...

Other problems would be the size of the repo, but I think that is manageable with a local server and terabyte HDD.

If NMM or MO has a feature to check files included in mod archives for being installed to the Skyrim directory, that would work great!

As it stands, I just can no longer bear bunking up a perfectly working game because I clicked through a few mod install/un-installs and forgot what I changed.  Am currently cleaning Skyrim back to it's original state, to create a SVN. 

NMM/MO logging feature would be handy too apparently.

Would reverting modified script files be handy as well?  How can that be utilized properly?

Would it be a good idea to run a local Subversion (SVN) server and make the first commit contain all of the vanilla game files in case I want/need to "restore" to the original game?

Why not, but its a bit to much I think if you want a backup of your vanilla game just copy paste the data folder and done

NMM will not see what mods are installed and what not

If NMM or MO has a feature to check files included in mod archives for being installed to the Skyrim directory, that would work great!

MO itself changes nothing on your vanilla skyrim so if you use it there is actually no need for a backup since whenever you "uninstall" a mod it just gets not loaded on the next startup MO holds all mods in their own folders and just leads skyrim to them so MO is not affecting your data folder in any way if you reinstall your skyrim I recoomand MO

I don't use it personally because I just don't need it and would gain no benefit.

MO itself changes nothing on your vanilla skyrim so if you use it there is actually no need for a backup since whenever you "uninstall" a mod it just gets not loaded on the next startup MO holds all mods in their own folders and just leads skyrim to them so MO is not affecting your data folder in any way if you reinstall your skyrim I recoomand MO

I don't use it personally because I just don't need it and would gain no benefit.

That sounds too good to be true.... Maybe I can just make a repo of my active mods if that were the case...

I'll check out MO.  Also it was my understanding that script files were actually modified by mods during play-through, are these script files only game-character related or game related?

Not quite sure what you mean script files are normally stored in the scripts folder the files itself don't get modified the states of the scripts get saved in your savegame so the script files are allways the same the state of the script is character/savegame related

So maybe in other words to be clear you have your script files in your script folder they don't get changed and the state of the script is saved in your savegame so skyrim "knows" what scripts it has to load and what parts of it this is as said in the savegame.

For MO again it is pretty much what you want all mods get seperated from the vanilla data folder they are stored in virtual folders and skyrim gets directed to these folders instead of using whatever is in the data folder, but there are people that know way more about it since it don't use it.

MO as far as I know even has a function to copy your NMM mods in its database, but as I said I don't use it.

Screenshot of script directory:

post-425879-0-74549300-1422698843_thumb.jpg

Archived