Change player HP to Hearts like in Legend of Zelda: Hardmode

lollol

Updated the OP(10/2/2014). IMO it was disorganized and confusing before. Didn't have info about healing.
I can answer any questions about how the system would work. 

Dynamically scaled damage effects for higher leveled enemies was a tentative idea, it probably won't get in. Will be optional if yes.

I would like to create a mod to change player health to working like Legend of Zelda. The player starts with 3 Hearts and gains more by finding rare Heart containers in loot. I'm thinking about dividing them, about halfway between boss chest/NPC leveled lists and half from manually placed Heart containers. About 5 are obtained randomly from different boss loot lists, after it's picked up it's removed from the list. For example a random heart container could be in the Undead dungeon loot lists; after you get the heart container from that list it will remove itself from the list. Makes the game more difficult and make clearing dungeons more rewarding. I just want to try it out then fine tune it later. I will try using this with OOO at first.

Damage system: Being hit while not blocking removes one heart. If this happens the player does a brief injury animation and cannot lose another heart during it.

Power Attacks: If blocked, removes 1 heart, otherwise 2 hearts. 
Arrows: 1 heart, No injury animation. Chance of stagger like vanilla
Destruction Spells: Not sure for magic damage, most will do 1 heart, Master level Destruction will do more. Drain spells will lower your heart count temporarily, they will be rebalanced.
Creatures: Most do 1 heart. Some exceptions, Rats & Mudcrabs can cause a mini .5 second stun but do no damage. High level creatures including Daedroths, Spider Daedra, Minotaur Lords and other will do 2 hearts per attack. Haven't decided exactly which ones. Goblins and Xivilai will do 1 heart damage, same as a human attacker for now.
Traps: Probably one heart, not a priority
Lava: Also not a priority, probably instant death or one heart/second.

Player Healing:

Restoration spells are changed for the player to be able to restore hearts.

Novice: a 5 second spell, after its duration it will restore one heart
Apprentice: it will instantly restore one heart
Journeyman: it will instantly restore one heart, and after 8 seconds it will restore another
Expert: it will restore 3 hearts in total, one is instantly restored, the 2nd is restored after 6 seconds and 3rd is restored after 12 seconds. more hearts after time. 
Master: it will restore 3 hearts instantly, and after 10 seconds, it will restore 3 hearts again.

To avoid devaluing "Heart Containers"(extra hearts), there would be a minimum total heart count required to use the spell. Otherwise it might be possible to ignore extra hearts with Expert and Master heal. 

Potions:
Weak Potion of Healing: 10 seconds to take effect then it restores one heart
Potion of Healing: 4 Seconds to take effect and then it restores one heart
Strong Potion of Healing: Instantly restores one heart  and after 10 seconds it will restore another. The item value will go up, it will cost more in shops.

The "Heal Hearts over time" effect cannot be stacked, any new heal cast will cancel the previous effect. This will apply between both potions and Restoration. If Journeyman Heal was cast, and then a few seconds later the player uses a healing potion, the spell's second heart is cancelled and the player will instead get the potion's effect.  This is to get rid of the "use 4 potions at once". You can still do this with Strong Potion of Healing but you'll get half the effect. 

Pictures, Photoshopped examples with static poses

Photoshopped example with static poses: 3 hearts

00_Three_Hearts.jpg

Lost 1 heart

01_Lost_a_heart_from_an_attack.jpg

Lost 2 hearts

02_Lost_another_heart_from_an_attack_and

Only one heart left

03_Only_one_heart_left_Weak.jpg

Lost all hearts

04_Blindsided_and_lost_the_last_heart.jp

Falls over - dramatic death

05_Falls_over_dramatic_death.jpg

UI fade

06_UI_fade.jpg

Restore a heart with a heal

07_She_can_heal_to_restore_a_heart.jpg

08_Fully_healed.jpg

Player hit with a power attack - Loses two hearts

09_Lost_two_hearts_from_a_power_attack.j

Thinking of using the Pose Converter to copy the position from a static pose on to a dynamic pose which is looped with the 1H idle. It starts from the 1H idle and ends with the 1H idle.
http://www.loverslab.com/topic/13140-pose-converter-076-992013/

Restoration spells are changed for the player to be able to restore hearts.

Novice: a 5 second spell, after its duration it will restore one heart
Apprentice: it will instantly restore one heart
Journeman: it will instantly restore one heart, and after 8 seconds it will restore another
Expert: it will restore 3 hearts in total, one is instantly restored, the 2nd is restored after 6 seconds and 3rd is restored after 12 seconds. more hearts after time. 
Master: it will restore 3 hearts instantly, and after 10 seconds, it will restore 3 hearts again.

To avoid devaluing "Heart Containers"(extra hearts), there would be a minimum total heart count required to use the spell. Otherwise it might be possible to ignore extra hearts with Expert and Master heal.

All heal spell costs are increased for the player, Novice/Apprentice a little and the rest by a fair bit. Master level will probably use most of her Magicka, with 100 Intelligence and 100 Restoration. She might be able to use it twice with Atronach birthsign and High Elf racial.  For my character with Breton racials and Mage birthsign, it will cost her about 70% of her max magicka(@100 int&skill) to cast the master heal. Expert heal might be changed, if not it will be a lot more cost efficient then the master heal. 

Possible? Yep. If you find someone willing to create the UI elements and code it.

Heart counter can be either a global variable, quest variable or item tokens.

Event handlers can be used to block any damage the player is taking and reduce the heart counter.

Scripts can be attached to the healing spells that will allow them to increase the heart counters when used on the player.

UI elements will need to be designed for this, of course. And you'll probably want to utilize Pluggy's HUD features for it.

It's a lot of work, though. So, unless you find someone who's personally interested or do it yourself, unlikely.

I'd like to do it myself.  It would look like this, except with the Magicka and Fatigue bars still there. I might use it with Skyrim style hud from the HUD Status Bars mod. Heart turns faded green once lost. Only other thing is making a "hit" animation. Having the 1h idle and pose both in Blender on separate keyframes, then additional keyframes added to make it work better. Can't lose another heart during hit animation "temp invulnerability". It might not apply if another separate NPC attacks the player

00_Three_Hearts.jpg

The temporary invulnerability you wish to include can be achieved via adding a spell effect to the actor that caused damage.

The event handler will check for the spell effect, and if present will ignore the hit, otherwise reduce the heart counter and apply the spell.

Spell effect's duration should be as long as you want the invulnerability to be.

Does Pluggy itself cause crashes, or just other mods that use Pluggy? Had problems with it(I think it was for UV1 and UV2). UV1 crashed a lot, UV 2 not as much but still enough to uninstall. UV3 mostly better but some other things like throwing weapons caused crashes. Went away as soon as I uninstalled UV3. Each time I removed UV and Pluggy at the same time. If I use it only to show the hearts with the HUD features, it shouldn't be prone to causing crashes? 

I wonder if the hit animation would be triggered with a script like in some of the Lovers mods? If I'm able to make a framework that makes it easy to plug in animations then I'll spend more time trying to make them in Blender. Just want to play around with this stuff to learn it. 

Pluggy itself does not cause crashes. At least not for me, and I've been using it for several hundred hours by now.

It could be that UV is incompatible with Pluggy. I believe I've read at some point that Pluggy wasn't compatible with it's HUD counterpart. Too lazy to look it up now (might've changed) but that could've been the source of the incompatibility.

Anyway, you could trigger the hit animation via script, or simply let the event handler take care of it (you know, while it's reducing the heart counter). A simple playidle line should do, or pickidle at worst.

Thinking of using the Pose Converter to copy the position from a static pose on to a dynamic pose which is looped with the 1H idle. It starts from the 1H idle and ends with the 1H idle.
http://www.loverslab.com/topic/13140-pose-converter-076-992013/

Pluggy itself does not cause crashes. At least not for me, and I've been using it for several hundred hours by now.

It could be that UV is incompatible with Pluggy. I believe I've read at some point that Pluggy wasn't compatible with it's HUD counterpart. Too lazy to look it up now (might've changed) but that could've been the source of the incompatibility.

Anyway, you could trigger the hit animation via script, or simply let the event handler take care of it (you know, while it's reducing the heart counter). A simple playidle line should do, or pickidle at worst.

Should I have the event handler work through a Quest Script? Make it similar to Lovers mods that work in combat? Some of them play Lovers animations after the player loses X amount of health I think.

I know there's a mod that uses spirals/diablo orbs for the HUD status mod. Wouldn't it be possible to set it so every 33% a heart pattern disappears/appears?

Can that mod be used for a custom system like this? 

For the second part I definitely think this is possible. For a higher leveled character, it will work this way. Maybe with HP until it's quite low, like below 10 or 20% then hearts for the remainder of her HP. 

However, I'd like this mod to also function by enabling OnHit player animations; an ARPG mechanic that's mostly missing from TES. I want to experiment with it, see if it makes combat play better. I know it will just annoy if poorly tuned, but if tuned well maybe it's more fun.

The player by default just keep attacking even while being hit, unless the player gets staggered. I'd like to try adding variable hitstun animations. Maybe by imitating Lovers mods that activate during combat(select and trigger an animation via the same kind of script). I want the player to have a simple short animated response, especially if she's smaller like a Breton and gets attacked by a Nord, an Orc or a Daedroth. (Female Player character is assumed)

Theoretically, in an ideal case by using OBSE it might be possible to select different animations based on conditions. Which could include stats like the NPC scale of the attacker, attacker's weapon, attacker's skill by comparing these to the player's stats. It would all have a cumulative effect, each factor together in a formula which then selects an animation. The temp invulnerability will probably last 1.5 or 2 seconds if that ends up working well. If the attacker is far superior to the player(ie Daedroth vs Level 1 Player), their attacks could have a small chance to knock her down, disarm her, etc. The hit recoil animation could sometimes outlast the temp invulnerability, if you're way outleveled. If you're overleveled, you can mostly shrug off attacks like usual with the recoil animation only happening sometimes by chance. At level 1, rats don't remove hearts but could have a chance of causing a hitstun animation. This could allow enemy bosses to be a more of a threat to the player. They're higher level then the player so they have the advantage, but lower level enemies like bandits can still present a threat to the player. Also, some stylized animations could be cool, like cute PC -> cute animations. This paragraph contains just ideas, I'm not sure if any problems would prevent this from working.

The first thing would be to get the heart system to work, add in limited invulnerability probably with Con_TGM being applied after the hit and then removed after a set time. Then one OnHit player animation that always happens. One event script that will handle the hearts, invulnerability and force player hit animations. A short, basic animation that starts from the 1H idle.

I've tried a mod of an old RPG game, sometimes making radical changes can be really interesting in a game. It can give the game new life. It will also make it so playing as a X110, X117 or X125 race is quite a bit different then playing a Nord or Imperial.

She can't simply ignore attacks from some NPCs anymore. Not even a bandit in vilverin. Vastly weaker NPCs would be similar to before, but leveled NPCs in dungeons won't be that much lower in level than the player.

02_Lost_another_heart_from_an_attack_and

The ultimate end goal someday would be being able to try to replicate mechanics from other ARPG series into TES games. Even if Bethesda will streamline TES combat even more for TESVI(which will release in the distant future).

Yes, the event handler should be handled by a quest script.

My suggestion? Look at Sleepypanda's Death Denied mod on the Nexus. It basically does most of what you want on the event handler portion (and nothing else); it contains an event handler that, when the player takes damage, will absorb it and do something (depending on the version you pick) when the player's health runs out.

Because it's such a tiny mod, you'll be able to find whatever you want very quickly. Shouldn't take you longer than a minute or two to reverse-engineer that and have your own event handler going.

Also, since you're mentioning Lovers, may I suggest that - since you're basically designing a system in which the player has three health at the beginning and gets stunned on every hit while not completely invulnerable - when the player runs out of health his\her character don't die, but rather just trigger a sex scene? Would probably be much less frustration inducing than having to reload.

Yes, the event handler should be handled by a quest script.

My suggestion? Look at Sleepypanda's Death Denied mod on the Nexus. It basically does most of what you want on the event handler portion (and nothing else); it contains an event handler that, when the player takes damage, will absorb it and do something (depending on the version you pick) when the player's health runs out.

Excellent suggestion, I will check this out!

Vaelorian, on 30 Sept 2014 - 04:09 AM, said:

Also, since you're mentioning Lovers, may I suggest that - since you're basically designing a system in which the player has three health at the beginning and gets stunned on every hit while not completely invulnerable - when the player runs out of health his\her character don't die, but rather just trigger a sex scene? Would probably be much less frustration inducing than having to reload.

I actually would like to have something like this. Player death can trigger a fatality animation, some of them being Lovers animations if not too difficult and others being a sword impale or similar(maybe like Tomb Raider 2013?). When she loses her last heart the event script decides whether the enemy will do a finisher, then selects which one. It decides based on player level & strength vs NPC level & strength. An enemy, if more powerful then the player can attempt an early finisher although the success chance would usually be low. Example: a Marauder with a warhammer could try to kick the player to set up the finisher. If the kick lands then the Marauder then tries to finish her with the warhammer, Neutral 2h Blunt power attack animation. The kick knocks the player on her back, she's briefly stunned(duration of stun could depend on # of hearts left & Agility?) then she'll roll sideways and stand up. If the player's too slow, she will be instantly finished by the warhammer strike. The marauder will only use the kick if the player is weakened. Most enemies will only attempt this if the player has only one heart. They would do it in response to the player continuously blocking(blocking a non-power attack = no hearts lost).

The player getting a fatality would be a sign that the NPC that the player was killed by is much stronger although it will have a small chance of happening if the enemy is similarly leveled.  If the player keeps getting hit with a finisher then it's likely she's under leveled. Could happen in OOO dungeons. A 5+ level offset NPC will be much more likely to do these. A 10+ offset NPC will always do these. Reaching zero hearts actually might not always represent the player's death, it means she was defeated and is open to a finisher. Might be cool if the player can do this too, NPC's actually "live" for a bit after hitting 0 HP giving the player a chance to perform a finisher. This state only lasts 10-15 seconds for NPCs. This state only applies to the player if the event script decides the attacking NPC should do a finisher, otherwise it's skipped for the player. 

Depending on your actual player character, having this animation happen may not make sense. This character is fit(HGEC EBE body), half Imperial, half Breton and about 5'6. She's definitely a lot easier to be put off balance then a male Nord or Orc. To me it doesn't make sense for her to be as sturdy and immovable as a Nord or an Orc, and Oblivion's leveling system quickly makes her health become unrealistically high. If this were changed, then the leveling system will make more sense. She's quick and light but definitely isn't a damage sponge.

This mod will assume the player character is female with size ranging from an X117 up to a Breton or Imperial. 

Going to later edit this post for rejected ideas.

A word of warning: since the event handler will quite literally be called every single time the player should take any kind of damage in the vanilla game, you *might* want to keep the code simple. I'm not saying to abandon all of your ideas... Just the most complex ones.

Reason for this is that script overload can and probably will crash the game of anyone not running a machine strong enough for it, and even the most elaborate of mods won't be received positively if the users can't experience it.

And no, I wouldn't suggest trying to apply an event handler for NPCs at all. You could, of course, if you really wanted to, but it would increase script payload quite significantly.

The way to go about this would be a second onHit event handler that checks to see that the target is NOT the player, and if the damage would be fatal add them to a faction and apply a script effect. If they are in the faction already, check for the script effect. If it's in place, absorb the damage.

If it isn't in place, kill the NPC and remove it from the faction.

This avoids trying to maintain an array in the background, which is good because the scripts are already very demanding, and an array might just be the final straw.

As for game balance, I'll leave it to you. I can always change it for myself if I wanted to. I'm just trying to help.

If you do want my suggestion, it would be to 'avoid player frustrations'.

-V

I should also clarify, the heart system won't apply to NPCs. They will use health like normal. For script load, only the hearts and player hit animations are done. Then If player hearts is more then one, Return(interrupts processing the rest). Fatality system would use a separate script, and it's secondary. Heart script decides whether to use a fatality only once the player has 0 hearts. Then RNG chance based on a simple formula is calculated. Percentage simply increased if the attacker is higher level. The other stuff is secondary, and would be added slowly. My computer is old, if it will work on mine it will work on almost any. Anything that gives me big framerate drops, I will try to change to improve. If I can't, then I'll cut the feature. 

I'm hoping NPC events can be done same way as some of the Lovers mods. Most of them aren't too bad for script load. Any suggestions are good. Risky mode is just a last second idea I added in.

Might be cool if the player can do this too, NPC's actually "live" for a bit after hitting 0 HP giving the player a chance to perform a finisher. This state only lasts 10-15 seconds for NPCs. This state only applies to the player if the event script decides the attacking NPC should do a finisher, otherwise it's skipped for the player.

This is what I referred to when I mentioned I wouldn't suggest creating an event handler for NPCs. Event handlers won't cause lag; they'll cause straight crashes once too many copies of them try to run at the same time.

As for fatality - it's up to you. Again, I don't honestly care about it either way because I can edit it (and could indeed have made the system myself had I wanted to).

It's your mod, make it how you want it. I'm literally trying to give you suggestions from my own experience. You're free to use or ignore them as you like.

Might be cool if the player can do this too, NPC's actually "live" for a bit after hitting 0 HP giving the player a chance to perform a finisher. This state only lasts 10-15 seconds for NPCs. This state only applies to the player if the event script decides the attacking NPC should do a finisher, otherwise it's skipped for the player.

This is what I referred to when I mentioned I wouldn't suggest creating an event handler for NPCs. Event handlers won't cause lag; they'll cause straight crashes once too many copies of them try to run at the same time.

As for fatality - it's up to you. Again, I don't honestly care about it either way because I can edit it (and could indeed have made the system myself had I wanted to).

It's your mod, make it how you want it. I'm literally trying to give you suggestions from my own experience. You're free to use or ignore them as you like.

I didn't mean to be dismissive of your suggestions. The info you've given me is helpful for deciding what should stay or go, and priority. I'm not aware of the problems that can come up and I want to stay far away from anything that will cause huge lag, CTDs, save corruption/bloat. I'm adding every idea in hopes of getting feedback like this. More feedback enables me to make a mod I will probably enjoy more.

The part you quoted is actually very low priority for me. I don't personally care much about being able to do finishers, beyond those in Deadly Reflex.  If it will cause crashes, then it's definitely off the list immediately. Thank you for telling me. It could have caused a lot of confusion if I had gone ahead with it. I won't go forward with it now. The player will not be given the ability to perform fatalities. Enemy performed fatalities are now a lower priority as well. It's likely more trouble then it's worth to me, if it'll cause random CTDs.

Ideally I'd like the event handler to consider only the player & 1 attacker at a time, and it should operate on a simple basis. It should track combat as though it's always one on one. For multiple attackers vs the player, it will only consider the most recent attacker. There will never be team-up fatalities, too difficult to animate and I have no idea how to set it up. I'm going to leave the fatality system to be the last addition, due to the problems. Instead, I'd like to make a dramatic death animation for the player, that triggers on 0 hearts. If issues come up for the enemy fatality system, the dramatic death animation will stay in instead.

The onHit event handler is perfect for what you wish to do, then; it allows you to identify the source of the damage (so you can consider the latest attacker each time the script is ran), and from that point it should be easy to achieve the single-actor fatality system if you want it.

The death animation should, as I mentioned before, be played via a playidle command (or a pickidle if you encounter issues, though there shouldn't be any).

Made a really simple animation, most attacks that land will cause this. For now, any attack would cause this through the system, other then creatures like rats and mudcrabs. Only thing is it doesn't "move" the player back. In blender I wanted to set it to move the player back a little bit. It's a mini-stagger animation, she does a short jump back and raises her shield arm(represents the temp invulnerability). The animation lasts 30 frames. Not sure how best to show it. I have it set up by overwriting another mod's pose

2 screenshots of the animation, one while using Edialog

Simple_animation.jpg

Simple_animation_with_Edialog.jpg 

Edited the earlier big post, strikethrough used on rejected ideas, took out still-valid ideas and put them here:

With one heart left she could enter an injured state. Reduced speed, weapon damage and skill perks disabled( besides access to spells, that isn't changed ). Blocking attacks will drain Fatigue, holding block will drain fatigue and she will have the slower, weaker power attacks. 

Other Ideas:
Daredevil mode/Risky mode: Change all of the chests in a dungeon to Boss chests. The player's level is also temporarily boosted, allowing a chance to find great loot. However, she will be afflicted with a Curse of Weakness while in the dungeon. This sets her total hearts to 1. She will fall to any unblocked attack besides nuisance creatures. 

She can also do a Quest in Risky mode to get better leveled quest rewards. Doing the Odiil farm quest this way will give you a better Chillrend. However Fast travel is disabled, and she has only one heart; until the quest is complete. Dungeons and quests with Magic users will get extra rewards due to the increased difficulty.

Naomi doing Spies in Risky mode. Jearl's house will have dungeon loot containers, Jearl and Saveri will carry loot like leveled scrolls, soul gems, enchanted jewelry.
One_Heart_limit.jpg

Risky mode:

She dies after one hit. Jearl and Saveri leave her body in the woods
Defeated1.jpg
Beaten again
Defeated2.jpg
Naomi won.
Oblivion_2014_09_30_13_49_32_75.jpg
Improved loot.
Oblivion_2014_09_30_22_58_22_37.jpg

For movement animations (as in, animations that actually move the character in the game world), I suggest you refer to Coronerra's BBB tutorial (it includes a short yet informative section at the very end).

As far as number of frames go, animations are usually made in a 30*K+1 format. The reason for that is that the game renders 30 frames per second, plus one base. So an animation of 31 frames is exactly one second, 61 frames is two seconds etc.

This doesn't mean that a 30 frame animation is inferior, it's just that 31 is the norm used by most animators (for example, most if not all recent Lovers animations use that format).

The injured state could be a spell effect. Basically, apply a penalty to related stats (speed, weapon related skills). I'm not sure how to block access to skill perks - haven't ever tried to before. You'll have to figure that one out yourself I'm afraid.

For risky mode, quite simply have a variable keep the max health value, then set the counter max to 1. When the quest ends, set the max health counter to the temporary variable.

Make sure to remember to increase the temporary variable when picking up health ups during risk quests.

Ok, I'm fairly sure I can get the animations working, at least basically. Now about adding the hearts to the UI. Is it possible for the player's hearts to also show up in the journal? I think I may have found the relevant section of Pluggy HUD functions. How does one use arrays from Pluggy for a mod?

I'm just aiming for super basic functionality at first. Risky Mode, show one larger heart in bottom left next to weapon icon, heart disappears when the player is hit. Once that works, I'd like to have a darkened heart to replace the regular one once the player is hit. The darkened "lost" heart would be saved to a separate image file. I have put them in Data\Menus\OneHeartRiskyMode.png. I have not attempted to use an array before.

It seems to be this command, going by the cs elderscrolls wiki

http://cs.elderscrolls.com/index.php?title=Category:Hud_Functions_(Pluggy)

NewHudS Filename:stringID RootID:short Show:short X:float Y:float Layer:long Scale:float ;Opacity:long Align:short AutoScale:bool Protected:bool EspID:long

I want values like this applied to each variable(last 3 assumed)

NewHudS Menus\OneHeartOnlyRiskyMode.PNG, 1, 1, -650, -360, 500, 1, 90, 9

How does one add this command to the game? Are we supposed to use the Construction Set?

HudS(Surface/Image) Records(states what goes into the .pluggy savefile)

Pluggy.jpg

Uhmm completely off topic, but what oblivion combat mod are you using, i havent seen mods that simulates knockdown effect with power attacks.

None currently. I tend to get random CTDs from DR6 or UVIII. Decided to get rid of them for now. And this would be the first, as far as I know. If it can happen. Not sure how to identify in an OnHit script if an attack was a power attack. For anyone reading the earlier posts, text with Strikethrough is now "in question". I may decide to eliminate those points.

Pluggy seems be recognized in CS. Getting error message when trying to compile this

scn zzzOneHeartOnlyMode

begin gamemode
NewHudS , Data\menus\OneHeartOnlyRiskyMode,1, 1, -650, -360, 500, 1, 90, 9

end

Tried it with the line changed to:
NewHudS -1:"menus\OneHeartOnlyRiskyMode.png",1, 1, -60, -60

No error message but now nothing happens in-game.

Uhmm completely off topic, but what oblivion combat mod are you using, i havent seen mods that simulates knockdown effect with power attacks.

None currently. I tend to get random CTDs from DR6 or UVIII. Decided to get rid of them for now. And this would be the first, as far as I know. If it can happen. Not sure how to identify in an OnHit script if an attack was a power attack. For anyone reading the earlier posts, text with Strikethrough is now "in question". I may decide to eliminate those points.

Wait none? Then what makes those knockbacks happen? 

thanks

I want it to have knockback like ARPG games such as KH, Dark Souls, etc and I don't like how the player gets a ton of health pretty quickly from leveling. At level 10 you can have 200+ health. 

It would be done by handling the player's health with a script that identifies when the player is hit. Knockback would be simulated using an animation(PlayIdle). To balance this and avoid annoying chain-stuns, the player would be given limited-time invulnerability during the animation. And her health will be changed to using hearts like LoZ. She starts with 3 hearts. One is lost every time she gets hit. But she can restore a heart with Restoration. Apprentice heal instantly restores a heart. The starter heal will restore a heart after 5 seconds.

None do it. Unless it's in DR. I am showing the concept by using static poses. I think I can make a short animation that mimics the poses and loops with the 1h idle. As a smaller character it would make more sense if she gets knocked back by attacks.

This mod might not be balanced for combat, but once in place it probably could be adjusted easily.

I want it to have knockback like ARPG games such as KH, Dark Souls, etc and I don't like how the player gets a ton of health pretty quickly from leveling. At level 10 you can have 200+ health. 

It would be done by handling the player's health with a script that identifies when the player is hit. Knockback would be simulated using an animation(PlayIdle). To balance this and avoid annoying chain-stuns, the player would be given limited-time invulnerability during the animation. And her health will be changed to using hearts like LoZ. She starts with 3 hearts. One is lost every time she gets hit. But she can restore a heart with Restoration. Apprentice heal instantly restores a heart. The starter heal will restore a heart after 5 seconds.

None do it. Unless it's in DR. I am showing the concept by using static poses. I think I can make a short animation that mimics the poses and loops with the 1h idle. As a smaller character it would make more sense if she gets knocked back by attacks.

This mod might not be balanced for combat, but once in place it probably could be adjusted easily.

Woah thats a mind blowing idea. I would like that. Its really good. I like immersion alot and i know irl if someone with a heavy warhammer hits you even if your blocking you would stagger or get knocked on the ground. Oh duke patrick's melee combat mod does this. quick google searched and found something that makes this effect.

Good find! Now if I can get Pluggy's HUD functions to work, this is probably doable. 

NewHudS -1:"menus\OneHeartOnlyRiskyMode.png",1, 1, -60, -60

Vaelorian: I had a look at that tutorial's last section, a little confusing but I'm pretty sure it does have the answer for fixing the animation. Once the HUD change is done, the Death Denied and Duke Patrick's Combat should have a scripting base for handling the heart system. My plan is to get super basic functionality in each area then come back and improve it later. Just to be certain that it can work.

To do list:
1. Create HUD element for the hearts
2. Create basic event handler script for the player only, that triggers animations with PlayIdle when the player is hit, and removes a heart.
3. Create basic animation to use in 2.

Archived