Fallout 3 keeps freezing

)I was using Fallout Mod Manager and I decided to start using Mod Organizer since I like the set up so much more, I deleted everything and put the game back to vanilla.

I reinstalled my mods and the necessary files to play the game and after a few minutes of play the game freezes.

When I go back to the desktop I see a message in MO saying:

File in use. The action cannot e completed because the file is open in fallout3.exe. Close the file and try again.

The file is plugins.txt

What do I do about it?

The mods I have active are:

Unofficial Fallout Patch (plus esps for all the dlc)

Ambient Wasteland WAV Version

Realistic Gunshot Sounds (+ the addons)

Nightvision Goggles - Powered

Type 3 body armors and outfits- full release

Darknss RealEyes v2b

Dimonized Type3 - AIO

Enhanced Blood Textures

Enahnced Night Sky

Ghoul Retexture

HiRes SkillBooks

HiRes Weapons

Mutant Retexture

Darnified UI

Fallout Stutter Remover

Ultimate Perk Pack

Better Game Perfomance

Fallout 3 Redesigned (just for hair)

Fellout (+DLC)

NMCs Texture Pack (HD Fallout)

Realistic Interior Lighting

F3 Cazy Hair Conversions

Weapon Mod Kits (and the esps for the DLC)

Guest endgameaddiction

I would just reinstall Fallout 3, reinstall MO and set MO to Fallout 3. Then install the mods again simply because you have a small load order.

Be sure to run the 4gb patch. I've used this one for about a year now and it's worked like a charm. And be sure to grab that stutter remover if you do not have that.

I would just reinstall Fallout 3, reinstall MO and set MO to Fallout 3. Then install the mods again simply because you have a small load order.

Be sure to run the 4gb patch. I've used this one for about a year now and it's worked like a charm. And be sure to grab that stutter remover if you do not have that.

I think I may have that, I'll re-download it though.

I've also been trying stuff mentioned here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/22370/discussions/0/846940248950664435/

I edited the fallout_default.ini with no luck, erased the changes and edited MO's FALLOUT.ini and had more luck. It tends to freeze or outright crash when going into different locations (ex. Evergreen Mills to Evergreen Mills Bizarr)

Anyway, I'll give the patch a try so, thanks

I have never seen a valid reason to edit the fallout_default,ini, all you changes should be made to fallout,ini and falloutprefs,ini in your my documents\my games\fallout 3 folder. The main one that leads to crash is not having iNumHWThreads=2 in fallout.ini

For stutter remover I had massive stuttering problems with the latest version and had to go back to 4.07, edit its ini to enable fast exit or FO3 crash on exit, no harm just annoying.

If you get a lot of crashes when travel or cell transition make sure you have save on travel, save on rest turned off in game preferences, made huge difference for me.

Ditto on 4GB enabler

I have never seen a valid reason to edit the fallout_default,ini, all you changes should be made to fallout,ini and falloutprefs,ini in your my documents\my games\fallout 3 folder. The main one that leads to crash is not having iNumHWThreads=2 in fallout.ini

For stutter remover I had massive stuttering problems with the latest version and had to go back to 4.07, edit its ini to enable fast exit or FO3 crash on exit, no harm just annoying.

If you get a lot of crashes when travel or cell transition make sure you have save on travel, save on rest turned off in game preferences, made huge difference for me.

Ditto on 4GB enabler

Sounds good, I'll go look into getting the earllier version of the stutter remover, the 4GB enabler didn't help so maybe the stutter remover is the problem.

Now I need to go through the .ini files to double check which one I ended up editing, although I think off hand that it's the one that you can edit in Mod Organizer (Fallout.ini).

Everything else I'm 90% sure I did correctly, the fallout.exe is set to Windows Vista SP1, the dll file is in the main Fallout folder, Archiveinvalidated is activated, and I think I may have Games For Windows Live disabled (I'm not at my gaming computer, that's why I don't remember).

I guess I should ask, what would I be changing or editing in the Stutter Remover?

Out of curiousity, what changes would I make to falloutprefs.ini?

Why would you put the exe in Vista SP1 comparability mode? I run FO3 on Windows 7 Pro x64 no problem, no compatibility mode needed. The 4GB enabler totally helps don't discount it.

For editing the INI i would suggest this program makes it easy to understand:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/6769/?

In stutter remove the only thing I needed to edit was bFastExit = 1 in the master section otherwise game would crash on exit by either the menu or console fast exit, no biggy since i was exiting the game anyway but this fixed that. The new one only caused me noticeable stutter it did not cause me to crash.

I don't know shit about mod organizer, on this site its FOMM or nothing. The fallout.ini and falloutpref.ini are in the folders i specified earlier, if MO does some thing different you will have to ask that author. Mod organizer does not seem to install some mods correctly and if your wanting to use any of the mods from this site you better be running FOMM.

FOMM has game for windows live disabler and archive invalidation built in, along with many other tools.

"the dll file is in the main Fallout folder" <<- What DLL are your refering to? For ENB? Sorry I don't know what you mean here.

Some setting are saved in the fallout.ini like iNumHWThreads=2 while others are stored in the falloutpref.ini like button mappings for instance. You can read more here:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout3_1.html

Guest endgameaddiction

o.O I never seen that first link before.

It's funny how I've searched thousands and thousands of mods off FO3 Nexus and there will always be something that surprises me.

Thanks for that link. :)

Archived