Some things I'd like to see in mod descriptions

DrYes

Many mods have excellent descriptions, but even the best sometimes cause confusion by needlessly missing some important bit of information. As a mod maker, you could get less questions and more praise by going over a description checklist.

What I want (of course, not all of these are always applicable, but it's still good to check a list and make that decision consciously):

* Description. What does the mod do. Amazingly, some fail at this.

* Prerequisites. What else do I need, and, if applicable, what versions and what order they should be installed in. Preferably with links.

* Know conflicts, and, if  possible, known fixes.

* How do I test if it's working? I don't need a full test scheme, but it would save a lot of time to have a simple "Go to X and check if Y is there".

* Proper description of every download. In many cases, a mod may have 5-10 downloads, and no proper description of which is mandatory, and what the optional does. Also, if you have several versions, be clear if it's a full version or an upgrade that requires an earlier version.

* Other issues that may be important (can't be uninstalled without breaking saves, requires a new game, needs manual install and so on).

* Version history.

* Known bugs.

* Status. Is it an early WIP for the brave, or is it ready for the masses. Can I finish quests yet? Is it a modder's resource only? I see a lot of mods that are still described as WIP, though it's clearly no longer the case. One shouldn't have to read to page 50 in an 80 page thread to find out the real status.

* How do I configure the mod? Any special steps in the installation?

Keep this information up to date. When you update the mod, also update the description.

I know this would save me a shitload of time, and, I believe, would also save time for the modder. I also believe that it would create better mods, as one often find things overlooked when going over a checklist.

What do you people think? Good idea? Something I've missed?

I can't describe how many mods I encounter that I simply don't download because there's no damn description of what different files are for.

I really hate those ones, happens all the time. A variation if when an optional can be used without the main file but fail to inform of that making me download two huge mods but really only need one. We need to know if the optional replace the main file or patch it.

Also descriptions may include pictures, a classical problem is the housemod that fails to inform you where the house is located. A picture of a map and an arrow "here" or something does wonders!

A further picture problem is when screenshots are taken where it is so dark that it is all but impossible to see anything. Maybe a dungeon, far away from any light sources are not the perfect place to show of your new outfit. If I am going to download a new armour I would like to know how it looks like first. This is a very common problem of some reason. Hint, daylight are always better.

Archived