Console stopped working

Greetings!  I just got some time off and decided to use it to get back into Skyrim.  I'm delighted that I remembered how to mod everything the way I had it before I uninstalled it but I've recently run into quite a problem pertaining to the console...  I had it working with no problems and was able to add items to my inventory and change my race.  Recently I installed the Mod Organizer to review the save games and their add on dependencies and was able to get a very old game back up and running (awesome!). 

The problem is, when I pressed the tilde key everything stops as it should except there's no cursor for me to input text.  I tried to type 'showracemenu' thinking my resolution was a bit off but it doesn't work.  I disabled all my mods and bypassed the Mod Organizer in a new game to see if those were causing any problems and it still won't work.  What did I do?  I didn't touch the skyrim.ini nor the prefs ini so I'm at a loss as to what I changed that disabled the use of the console.  I added a 'ballowconsole=1' to my ini in the my games/skyrim folder but it's still not working.

Usually the simplest of things stump me as I constantly over complicate issues.  "There's no gas in it," type of thing.

Thank you for any help you may offer! 

EDIT- I completely removed the skyrim.ini file and it still isn't working properly.

EDIT- Okay, righteous.  After digging around a bit more I found two files in my Data/interface folder called Console.swf and Console_alias.  I deleted both and it's working again!  Where could those have come from? 

• 2 months later...

Greetings!  I just got some time off and decided to use it to get back into Skyrim.  I'm delighted that I remembered how to mod everything the way I had it before I uninstalled it but I've recently run into quite a problem pertaining to the console...  I had it working with no problems and was able to add items to my inventory and change my race.  Recently I installed the Mod Organizer to review the save games and their add on dependencies and was able to get a very old game back up and running (awesome!). 

The problem is, when I pressed the tilde key everything stops as it should except there's no cursor for me to input text.  I tried to type 'showracemenu' thinking my resolution was a bit off but it doesn't work.  I disabled all my mods and bypassed the Mod Organizer in a new game to see if those were causing any problems and it still won't work.  What did I do?  I didn't touch the skyrim.ini nor the prefs ini so I'm at a loss as to what I changed that disabled the use of the console.  I added a 'ballowconsole=1' to my ini in the my games/skyrim folder but it's still not working.

Usually the simplest of things stump me as I constantly over complicate issues.  "There's no gas in it," type of thing.

Thank you for any help you may offer! 

EDIT- I completely removed the skyrim.ini file and it still isn't working properly.

EDIT- Okay, righteous.  After digging around a bit more I found two files in my Data/interface folder called Console.swf and Console_alias.  I deleted both and it's working again!  Where could those have come from? 

Console.swf and Console_alias are regularly used to make changes / mods to the console. not sure what mod you were using that edited your console however I do know that the sexlab framework dose include an older version of Mfg Console. I have never personally had any issue with Mfg console. It sounds like you just had a case of bad luck. when in  comes to mods Mod organizer is the way to go it leaves your data folder much cleaner and is safer to use then nmm in the long run as your less likely to accidentally overwrite files etc and if you do find mods conflicting do to file overwrites just mod the mod higher or lower in the mod-list side.

edit oh wait is every in game menu invisible? if so simply hit ~ type tm then hit return. you might have accidentally toggled the menu.

Archived