more contrast for normal maps

CeeTeeDee

Guest corespore

In gimp yes there is a way to make a custom map with a little more pop. In your tabs goto tools, map, normal. You should get a small pop-up with a blue 3D preview window next. From there you can click on the 3D render button to get another window that will have a flat model you can move around to see how much "depth" you want to normal map to have. I't a bit of trial error and it depends heavily on what you are making the normal map for but i don't recommend going over 4 in the scale option unless your working on something you REALLY want the normals to stick out on. You can also select filters and try different kinds to get either a smooth or jagged effect depending on what you want, just experiment with the sliders and see what you like. Once you hit OK and it goes back to the regular paint area goto layer, transparency, and click on "add alpha". From here on you'll be using the erase tool to remove excess reflection from the normal. Adjust the opacity of the tool between 20% and 80% for best results. The closer to 20% the shinier and more reflective the end normal will look, whereas, the closer to 80% (or even 100%) will result in a more dull finish. Afterward don't forget to save and convert the file back to a .dds file before placing it in the game to be used. I usually export the file formatted as BC3/DXT5 for the compression and RGB8 as the format, don't forget to select the "generate mipmaps" option before you export as well. 

Archived