Editing Skin textures... where do I begin?

Skagg

So I just recently downloaded flussy's cute orc mod and I wanted to edit the texture a little just to make the nipples slightly darker as well as a bit bigger. Though I have no idea where to begin. In the cute orc mod folder there are no textures for the body so im assuming that it uses the textures from the high rez skin texture mod (the one thats installed through a install tool) If it is how do i go about editing the skin what folders should I be looking for in order to find the file which i need to edit in gimp?

If there's no body textures with the mod, it probably uses whatever you chose for default orcs, so it would be in you textures/characters/orc directory. Possibly textures/characters/orc/female or something, don't have the game on hand right now.

Anyway, you can replace this texture with any of your choosing, so if you have another texture in mind, just rename it and the corresponding _n file to footfemale and footfemale_n and drop it in the folder, replacing them.

No matter what you choose, I recommend downloading the BaseTexture file at the bottom of the list for this mod. It has a bunch of different nipples, all as their own separate layer. So you can easily find the one you want, go to Colors>Hue-Saturation, Colorize, Brightness-Contrast, etc and get it to exactly how you want it to look.

Oh, first do this so you can see and mess with layers easily, I forget GIMP doesn't do this by default:

7zMi6.png

Now you can freely toggle the visibility of layers, as well as move their position, play with their transparencies, etc. Feel free to do this to other things for convenience, I like to keep around a brush switcher and font palette as well.

Oh, and you can get rid of Ozmo's guide lines by going to View>Show Guides and unchecking it.

Anyway, once's everything's all set, you can either

-if you're only using the base texture, you can go to Image>Merge Visible Layers. Set it to Clipped to Image and Discard Invisible Layers. Then save the whole thing as a .dds, use BC3/DXT5 compression, generate mipmaps. If you're a quality whore, don't compress it at all. Generates a massive file, but no risk of quality loss.

-if you plan on only messing with a couple things, merge what you do have and paste it onto whatever other texture you're using. Lets hypothetically say you want to keep the nipples and pubes. Have those two layers be the only thing visible, then go to Image>Merge Visible Layers. Set it to Clipped to Image and Discard Invisible Layers. Now hit Layers>Layer to Image Size. Now copy the whole thing and navigate to your other texture (in GIMP.) (Note: make sure the nipple bits have the same dimensions as the texture you're about to paste onto!) Use Ctrl+Scroll to zoom waaaaay out till the image is tiny, then paste the new layer. Click somewhere on the image where your cursor shows an anchor, and it'll merge down. You're done! Now just follow the last two sentences of the above paragraphs.

If there's no body textures with the mod' date=' it probably uses whatever you chose for default orcs, so it would be in you textures/characters/orc directory. Possibly textures/characters/orc/female or something, don't have the game on hand right now.

Anyway, you can replace this texture with any of your choosing, so if you have another texture in mind, just rename it and the corresponding _n file to footfemale and footfemale_n and drop it in the folder, replacing them.

No matter what you choose, I recommend downloading the BaseTexture file at the bottom of the list for this mod. It has a bunch of different nipples, all as their own separate layer. So you can easily find the one you want, go to Colors>Hue-Saturation, Colorize, Brightness-Contrast, etc and get it to exactly how you want it to look.

Oh, first do this so you can see and mess with layers easily, I forget GIMP doesn't do this by default:

7zMi6.png

Now you can freely toggle the visibility of layers, as well as move their position, play with their transparencies, etc. Feel free to do this to other things for convenience, I like to keep around a brush switcher and font palette as well.

Oh, and you can get rid of Ozmo's guide lines by going to View>Show Guides and unchecking it.

Anyway, once's everything's all set, you can either

-if you're only using the base texture, you can go to Image>Merge Visible Layers. Set it to Clipped to Image and Discard Invisible Layers. Then save the whole thing as a .dds, use BC3/DXT5 compression, generate mipmaps. If you're a quality whore, don't compress it at all. Generates a massive file, but no risk of quality loss.

-if you plan on only messing with a couple things, merge what you do have and paste it onto whatever other texture you're using. Lets hypothetically say you want to keep the nipples and pubes. Have those two layers be the only thing visible, then go to Image>Merge Visible Layers. Set it to Clipped to Image and Discard Invisible Layers. Now hit Layers>Layer to Image Size. Now copy the whole thing and navigate to your other texture (in GIMP.) (Note: make sure the nipple bits have the same dimensions as the texture you're about to paste onto!) Use Ctrl+Scroll to zoom waaaaay out till the image is tiny, then paste the new layer. Click somewhere on the image where your cursor shows an anchor, and it'll merge down. You're done! Now just follow the last two sentences of the above paragraphs.

:) Thanks a lot Eiries your a Saint I'll be sure to bookmark this! This is going to help me a lot in the future! Especially since its the one gimp guide that is actually thorough in explanation.

Archived