Question regarding "dressing" NPCs

twistsword

One of the most frustrating aspects of Skyrim is the tendency for the wife or follower to wear their "default" outfit no matter what you do.

The only thing that seems to work is to do the console command "removeallitems" which makes them buck naked (or buck underweared depending on what you have installed as your mods) and then giving them only the one option for clothing or armor. Of course even then, they seem to randomly revert (even after stripped of all possessions) so that no matter how badass the daedric sword you crafted and enchanted for them was, they want to use the crappy iron axe they used when you first met them.

In my case, I also want to have a follower or wife wear one of the nonreplacer types of outfits, so I looked in the list, (as found in the NON-ADULT MOD link http://www.loverslab.com/showthread.php?tid=3509&page=3) found the ID and then typed up a text file that would replicate the commands needed.

So for example, for skimpy plate, a few staves, a daedric sword and bow, I did:

removeallitems player

removeallitems

additem 0001396B 1

additem 0010fcf4 1

additem 0010fcf7 1

additem 00029b7d 1

additem 187777e4 1

additem 187777e5 1

additem 187777e3 1

additem 000139c0 30

additem 000139b5 1

additem 000139b7 1

equipitem 000139b7 1

equipitem 187777e4 1

equipitem 187777e5 1

equipitem 187777e3 1

I then created a separate file that unequips and removes all those items so when I switch the outfits I do not get "free" items added to my inventory (not trying to cheat just trying to get them to use the things I already want them wearing). So in this case I save the file and just do console and "bat warmaiden" whenever I want her ready to fight.

The problem is that sometimes the ID for the item is not 187777e4 but 1A7777e4 or 1B7777e4 or 1C7777e4. What could be causing this? Is this something I can hardcode in the ID on with FOMM or ???

Is there a mod out there that lets you dress and equip NPC (followers or wives) so they do not default randomly when you enter rooms with them in it ?? (sometimes it reverts and sometimes not)

select them and use

showitems

scroll with pageup and page down to check the ids of the items he/she have and then remove the default items with

removeitem

important, leave one item, dont delete all of them or the companion will get all the default armor back from nowhere. now u can give her/he the new items and force to equip with command

equipitem

so far my companion never change clothes anymore.

hope helps.

Thanks for the feedback.

The problem is that I was hoping to create a way to easily dress a follower or wife (since there is no "please wear this or use this" mod that I am aware of) in a specific outfit.

So the hope was if I wanted to have a follower or wife in Triss' outfit I just pop open the console and type "bat Triss" and she is ready with the armor and a bow, or "bat warmaiden" and she is in plate with a sword.

And of course this would work, the items would quit registering under different IDs each time I play the game again.

So the method of manually opening, removing all items but one, and then manually equipping (after finding out what the ID for the item is each time) sounds like it would strip the fun from it, especially considering the goal would be to be able to find something that would work on any NPC that I had as follower (or in the event of a bat command from console...just any NPC I targeted).

Is there any way to have an item stay the same ID for the duration of game? (at least while the esp is installed? even if it means modifying the esp file?)

well i did it once but when read ur post i tried again with no avail. i remember modifying my companion to dont have defafult clothes. then i give her the armor and forced to equip it and thats was it. never again he removed the armor. but yesterday i tested it and didnt worked. damn, what a mess.

OK I figured it out (oddly enough bits and pieces are in other sections but I am reporting my findings so that others having the same problems as I do can easily fix it.

The problem is that the ID keeps changing, because IDs are xxID# wjere the ID# is a # (hex) like 7777DE. If you load the esp file and read under the GRUP you might see a # like 137777DE but that is NOT the correct ID as the 13 depends on the order in which the mod/esp might load.

I used a program called Wrye Bash, but you can use NMM as long as it shows the load order (but remember that the skyrim.esp is usually listed as 00 so you should add one to the list to get the actual # and remember to count as the list does, in hex.

Knowing that it becomes easy to create a little bat file to dress/or undress NPCs that you targeted with the console.

Using the Rainbow Bikini I would have the following bat file:

removeallitems player

removeallitems

additem 1C8888a1 1

additem 1C8888a2 1

equipitem 1C8888a1 1

equipitem 1C8888a2 1

Which means the Rainbow Bikini is listed as 1B or the 22nd file loaded.

I hope this helps someone.

NEXT - Armed with this information I tried to use ScriptDragon or SKSE to modify an existing script to add items to an NPC inventory and I tried but no dice.

Does anyone have any suggestions on tutorials or websites that help people understand how to write script for the scriptengines? It would make it easier to use these mods with them.

Archived