Writing & Editing Services by Vancien (For Mods)

Vancien

Writing & Editing Services by Vancien

How it works

I am willing to provide mod authors and artists free editing and writing for showcasing their work. I will proof read any written descriptions, guides, FAQ's, installation - un installation parameters and any other information surrounding the showcased mod. Once reviewed I will make a new copy of the description pages, re-write the outline using proper grammar and punctuation for the English language. 

I will only change words or punctuation necessary to properly make descriptions legible and understandable in English. I will not add anything without author permission, as I may make suggestions on certain terminology or descriptions used. All edited work will be under final review of the mod author and published only by them.

I feel that it would probably be a good idea to add a form of disclaimer within the descriptions I edit, explaining that English is not the primary language used by the author and that the description has been edited for better communication by me. This way end users understand that the author may not be able to respond to them in such a way for questions. 

If you are interested in my services, please contact me via private message. Thank you!

Best, 

Vancien

Disclaimer: This post and it's written subject matter has no direct affiliation to the creators or owners of Lovers Lab. Vancien as a public service has created this post in an effort to further enhance the community around gaming mods. Problems regarding services rendered by Vancien should be directly sent to Vancien and not the Lovers Lab owners, moderators or administration. 02-29-14

edit: I have shortened the entire post, as the original may have been overwhelming to my target audience. To read the original post with more details around my services, click the spoiler below.

Greetings!   :lol: 

So after much debate and deliberation around the pro's and cons of this idea. I have come to the only conclusion I think relatively makes sense. Do it! What is it you ask? Well, over my time spent in the Skyrim modding community I have seen and used many different mods created by very talented artists. However, sometimes with many of these mods, it's fairly obvious that the mod authors primary language is not English. 

Is this such a bad thing? Well, no, of course it isn't. However, the problem does lie within the dilemma the mod author faces due to many end users not understanding a proper description of their mod. Often times I have found myself passing a mod up, simply because I do not understand what the mod does or how to install it properly. I refrain due to the fact that support may be even further difficult. 

It is very possible and likely that mod authors, consumed by so much time spent creating their mod, they do not wish to waste time formally introducing their mod to the public. Because, English is not their primary language and translators are very time consuming as well. And of course, it isn't their fault that Translators do not interpret a persons mind and can not translate points being made.

But this is where I wish to be of some help!

Writing & Editing Services by Vancien

How it works

I am willing to provide mod authors and artists free editing and writing for showcasing their work. I will proof read any written descriptions, guides, FAQ's, installation - un installation parameters and any other information surrounding the showcased mod. Once reviewed I will make a new copy of the description pages, re-write the outline using proper grammar and punctuation for the English language. 

I will only change words or punctuation necessary to properly make descriptions legible and understandable in English. I will not add anything without author permission, as I may make suggestions on certain terminology or descriptions used. All edited work will be under final review of the mod author and published only by them.

I feel that it would probably be a good idea to add a form of disclaimer within the descriptions I edit, explaining that English is not the primary language used by the author and that the description has been edited for better communication by me. This way end users understand that the author may not be able to respond to them in such a way for questions. 

What will authors gain by this? 

More time creating or enhancing their mods and less time trying to answer questions or being contacted by users who simply do not understand the mod. Furthermore, proper descriptions well written to allow users to understand all conflicts and resolutions will prevent even further contact by users to the author. 

Are you some kind of English teacher? 

No. I am not an English teacher. But English is my primary language and I do believe I have a strong enough grasp on grammar, spelling and punctuation to assist in this regard. Also, my services are being provided free, so this obviously isn't a business venture for monetary value. As stated authors who wish to utilize my service will have the ability to finally review anything I write and they will publish it themselves. I am not perfect, I am only human. I am fully capable of mistakes just like anyone else. 

How to contact 

A prefered method of contact would be through private message. I do not wish for anyone to be embarrassed by using my service and really it isn't anyone's business. Once contacted by an author and the request is granted, I will offer direct more personal contact methods for the author to use. This way, they feel confident in contacting me to make requests for this service.  

Are there any requirements? 

There are a few things I would like to request each author has. A description of their mod, what it does, how it works, what it adds to the game etc. As well as proper installation instructions, uninstallation instructions, known conflicts, frequently asked questions and download instructions for manual, nexus mod manager, mod organizer or any other tools provided. The more information we can provide, the better. If an author does not have this formulated already, I will work with them to create this. 

What games will you provide services for? 

Any games that you have created a mod for use with and provide public access. Skyrim, Fall Out, Oblivion etc.. I will not however provide services to people who are not utilizing legally purchased software or games of which they have created mods for use within. In other words, I will not provide services to pirates and any person found guilty of such shall be reported.

Others wishing to join the team

Currently, I have no need for assistance with this. If the work picks up and I am overwhelmed by requests I will certainly consider adding people to the team. Please send a private message. Furthermore if you wish to support this effort and have friends you feel could use a service like this, by all means point them in this direction. Thanks!

Special Notes:

This page is subject to change and be edited in the future if this service should grow. If you agree with this service and wish to support please simply like the page. I do not wish for space on this post to be taken up by generalized conversation so that authors aren't able to post requests. I really wish to keep this page clean. You may also send me a private message. 

Do Not - post reference to any mods or mod authors in this topic calling them out for needing this service! This effort was not created in order to embarrass anyone and offenders will be directly reported to the moderation team of this site.

Just like anyone else, I have a private life outside of gaming. My time constraints are consistent with any average person if not more. i will work diligently to provide my services for editing in a timely fashion. Please understand, a twenty four hour turn around is highly unlikely. I have yet to decipher an average time frame as I believe this to be dependent on each individual mod. My goal would be to provide the highest quality work in the quickest time frame possible.

I will at some point, post examples or references to projects in the future. All I wish to do with this project is help support those talented mod authors out there that simply aren't able to spend the time describing their work. I am trying to do what I can in order to support their art and ensure it is properly showcased for others. In turn this should contribute to a better mod community. At least I hope!  :) Any suggestions or feedback regarding my services or this topic should be directly sent to me via private message. 

Thank you for your time, consideration and support of my service. I'd like to specifically thank Grumpf for being supportive and insightful with my idea for this service. Support is always welcomed. Flames are denied. 

Best, 

Vancien

Disclaimer: This post and it's written subject matter has no direct affiliation to the creators or owners of Lovers Lab. Vancien as a public service has created this post in an effort to further enhance the community around gaming mods. Problems regarding services rendered by Vancien should be directly sent to Vancien and not the Lovers Lab owners, moderators or administration. 02-29-14

Hey Thulas!  :)

Such as, when someone asks you a question for your mod and then you are responding to them? Yes. I could do that. But I would like to keep some services like that designated for authors already using or have used my service. Otherwise, I may get flooded with things to review and I wouldn't want someone waiting a long time for a response. 

Is that what you meant? Or was it something else? 

EDIT: Unless of course you meant for your stories? I would be happy to assist you with that. I can review that for punctuation and spelling yes. 

No, not quite; I am writing stories (mainly about my OC and a friend of mine's) and from time to time I convert some of the texts into ingame books for Skyrim.

Even though I actually feel more comfortable with writing in English than in my own mother tonuge by now, my grammar and spelling needs to be improved.

So basically I was wondering if you would do that aswell.

Hi Kaos Wulf, 

Sure. Just contact me privately to discuss any ideas you have. I certainly am open to broadening the spectrum. I just started the project here because I frequent these forums so often. Plus, it's more of the community I wish to accommodate for but I am not discriminatory. I will help all artists in any way I can. 

Archived