Weighted clothing

Meldinon

Okay so in oblivion a physics engine was present but wasn't taken advantage of until things like BBB were created. I assume that this same system exists in Skyrim and that future mods will capitalize upon it.

Assuming that clothing can also be weighted, would it be worth while to add weight to parts of armor (i.e. tassel, capes, the bottoms of robes) or is there now system to prevent ugly clipping that would occur if you were to step backwards a cape would want to move into your body.

I'm just finding it weird that with all the advances in graphical processors that we still have to fix clothing to character skeletons so rigidly.

Okay so in oblivion a physics engine was present but wasn't taken advantage of until things like BBB were created. I assume that this same system exists in Skyrim and that future mods will capitalize upon it.

Assuming that clothing can also be weighted' date=' would it be worth while to add weight to parts of armor (i.e. tassel, capes, the bottoms of robes) or is there now system to prevent ugly clipping that would occur if you were to step backwards a cape would want to move into your body.

I'm just finding it weird that with all the advances in graphical processors that we still have to fix clothing to character skeletons so rigidly.

[/quote']

because sadly the engine is only modestly better than the fnv version, so it runs like crap as a huge open world. which means that it runs even worse on consoles designed 6+ years ago.

so instead we get a barely updated physics system, even though other games use basic cloth physics i doubt they have huge game worlds either.

sad isn't it? it would have taken longer to make stuff for a new engine but hey maybe the world wouldn't choke because the engine is crap.

Assuming that clothing can also be weighted' date=' would it be worth while to add weight to parts of armor (i.e. tassel, capes, the bottoms of robes) or is there now system to prevent ugly clipping that would occur if you were to step backwards a cape would want to move into your body.

[/quote']

because sadly the engine is only modestly better than the fnv version, so it runs like crap as a huge open world. which means that it runs even worse on consoles designed 6+ years ago.

so instead we get a barely updated physics system, even though other games use basic cloth physics i doubt they have huge game worlds either.

sad isn't it? it would have taken longer to make stuff for a new engine but hey maybe the world wouldn't choke because the engine is crap.

sadly this :(. they could have done it but they cater to console players

To be honest, the current generation consoles aren't really up to scratch to our PCs. Consoles are practically 2005-era PCs whilst the PC is moving into heterogeneous computing where there is a framework for everything. I've taken a look at the PS3 developer kit and it is pretty tight what you can do so compromises are needed.

Luckily, with the release of the Creation Kit, we should see some major improvements in terms of the physics to take advantage of it.

To be honest' date=' the current generation consoles aren't really up to scratch to our PCs. Consoles are practically 2005-era PCs whilst the PC is moving into heterogeneous computing where there is a framework for everything. I've taken a look at the PS3 developer kit and it is pretty tight what you can do so compromises are needed.

Luckily, with the release of the Creation Kit, we should see some major improvements in terms of the physics to take advantage of it.

[/quote']

when this month is it going to be released?

That console shit makes me rage hard -.-" I mean I just bought Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 3, and on max Settings, it just looks exactly like Modern Warfare 2 ... EXACTLY! WTF?

There would be so much possibilities, I mean set yourself back to 2004 when Half Life 2 was released, THAT WAS JUST STUNNING GRAPHICS and REVOLUTIONARY PHYSICS! And since then the Computers got at least 10 times faster and better... If there would be a game that has 10 Times better Physics and Graphics than HL² had, IT WOULD BE FUCKING REAL LIFE!

That console shit makes me rage hard -.-" I mean I just bought Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 3' date=' and on max Settings, it just looks exactly like Modern Warfare 2 ... EXACTLY! WTF?

There would be so much possibilities, I mean set yourself back to 2004 when Half Life 2 was released, THAT WAS JUST STUNNING GRAPHICS and REVOLUTIONARY PHYSICS! And since then the Computers got at least 10 times faster and better... If there would be a game that has 10 Times better Physics and Graphics than HL² had, IT WOULD BE FUCKING REAL LIFE!

[/quote']

That's where lays the problem, you bought Modern Warfare 3. Of course it would be a copy and paste version of Modern Warfare 2... Though I am surprised there is no mention of the Crysis games being beautiful...

BBB is an animation modification.

Weighted clothing would be nothing to do with physics and everything to do with animation and weight painting properly.

I say this all the time and no one listens. Most of the things people complain about regarding the Gambryo engine are nothing to do with the engine's limitations but everything to do with the way Beth refuse to use it properly.

The best example was Morrowind, where the engine version was perfectly capable of handling gloss maps (read shiny metal) but Beth set the engine to cull gloss maps, leading many people to believe the engine too primitive to handle gloss maps on a weighted mesh. It took the Morrowind code patch to enable this feature and show how dumb Beth had been.

Please don't knock the engine (even though it isn't perfect). Knock the people who still have you waiting for the creation kit, a decent patch and the ability to play the game you've bought if Steam's servers go down.

Vertex weighting can be used for a physics based animation, but that's basically an IK system using a physics controlled node or set of nodes which then causes the mesh to follow it based on it's vertex weighting. Games like DOA and many others use it for certain jiggly attributes on characters and firmness of the system can be controlled very easily by vertex weights. Since the engine uses Havok, I'm sure it's capable of a dynamic body as part of a mesh, but the trick would be getting it to export in a way that the game will use it.

Symon makes an excellent point. The engine is definitely better than the ones used in passed games. It can do a few new tricks and memory management is better (not that it couldn't be improved mind you, there's still the issue regarding compiling their code without the optimization flag set on etc.). They didn't use cloth physics and I know people like bouncing boobs and all that but I won't be loosing any sleep over that TBH. Would use of HavokCloth make it better? Yes, but the way I see it they improved the things that mattered most. Fun game, interesting and fun to explore world. One of those 2 things wasn't really in Morrowind and Oblivion lacked both.

Symon makes an excellent point. The engine is definitely better than the ones used in passed games. It can do a few new tricks and memory management is better (not that it couldn't be improved mind you' date=' there's still the issue regarding compiling their code without the optimization flag set on etc.). They didn't use cloth physics and I know people like bouncing boobs and all that but I won't be loosing any sleep over that TBH. Would use of HavokCloth make it better? Yes, but the way I see it they improved the things that mattered most. Fun game, interesting and fun to explore world. One of those 2 things wasn't really in Morrowind and Oblivion lacked both.

[/quote']

Its not very fun to explore skyrim its 40% slops you cant walk run or jump on and you cant do many things while jumping. Oblivion was alittle more fun to explore and oblivion had a much more fun to tinker with stat system. Morrowind had a much more interesting armor and weapon system and they both had better much more personal enchanting and casting magic systems. Skyrim feels alot like a game our ment to play once and drop it moveing to the next game like its candy or something like most consol games feel like. Skyrim is only more fun to hack and slash in because it basicly has half the features of deadly reflex put in it. The only reason I can even see people wanting to stay on skyrim is the fact its stability is basicly double that of oblivion everything else just feels like watered down oblivion mods with little concern for pc gamers and ps3 gamers. I also realize everything I jsut complained about and or pointed out is general knowledge, can someone remind me why they did not use the most up to date engie again?

Oblivion had 1 guy designing all the dungeons... they all felt the same and very uninteresting for the most part. Skyrim had 7-8 people designing the dungeons, every dungeon being memorable, having a story behind it. It's kinda like Morrowind in this aspect. And that's why it's fun to explore, because it's interesting and the level scaling isn't that bad. You actually want to know what's up with that dungeon marker that pops up on your hud, what loot you can get from it, what secrets does it hide etc.

40% slopes... the mountainous geography changes the way you explore, world design is a million times better than Oblivion's generic fantasy bullshit. Oblivion was basically hills and a some mountains in the north, that's it. Here you have mountains, glaciers, swamps, a geothermal springs area, plains, tundra. OB's world design was better because you could jump on steep surfaces and swing your weapon while doing so?

Play once and move on? I just started my 3rd character having ticked in over 200 hours on the previous two and I still haven't even finished the main quest yet on any of them.

Stat system wise Skyrim is above Oblivion because it has perks. I was one of those people that hated the removal of attributes. Then I took an arrow to the knee I played Skyrim. Stuff made perfect sense and easy to pick up (I don't consider myself a casual gamer, I like planning out my character and having a lot of possibilities to choose from). Granted, some of the perks are not very useful and definitely need improvement. CK releases this January though so I'm not

Enchanting and magic casting system superior in Morrowind? Morrowind's combat system was crap. The thing that made it bearable was the awesome game world. This is the thing Morrowind did good out of the 2 things I listed earlier in my other post. Oblivion had better combat but it was still pretty boring. I already told you what I think of it's gameworld.

Is Skyrim perfect? Far from it! Some things were done better in passed games (issues with Skyrim are lack of spell creation for example, object space normals are used on morphable meshes which causes odd stuff to happen with lighting on the body, compression artifacts on the vanilla normals are horrible). But for me it's definitely the most enjoyable game released by Bethesda.

Note that I'm comparing vanilla games here. I find it unfair to compare a game that has been moded for 5-6 years with one that doesn't even have a Construction Kit out yet. I'm having more fun in Skyrim than modded Oblivion, but that's just me.

Realized this is getting pretty off topic and I apologize for that. If you wish to continue this discussion PM me :)

Archived