Script Lag

Guest Grestorn

Guest Grestorn

My Skyrim is heavily modded and I'm sure that there are some script residuals in the saved game files, still it actually runs quite stable and I'm happily playing along. 

However, during the Dawnguard campagne I have been transformed into a vampire and that's the moment when the problems started. The game is still running pretty stable, but there is heavy script lag. You notice that the game takes seconds to react on many things, like application of spell effects or the result of the action key etc. Also the MCM menus are often not displayed correctly and the Extensible Framework Wheel is sometimes empty. 

It doesn't matter whether I'm infected and become a "normal" vampire or i'm transformed by Lord Harkon into a Vampire Lord. The effect is the same. 

I tried to uninstall many mods I'm using (following the uninstall procedure if present), including the vampire mods (Vampiric Thirst, Dynamic Vampire Appearance, Magic Beasts), all the animation mods (FNIS including SoS and SexLab and all associated mods, Dual Sheath Redux, Realistic Ragdoll and YY Anim Replacer) and the new "Immersive Fist Person View". Other mods like Skyrim Redone can't really be uninstalled or are just for optics and I can't imagine that they would have an effect only when I'm a vampire. None of this made any difference. 

The papyrus log doesn't show anything special, with the exception of error messages created by the stuck "MannequinActivatorSCRIPT" which I can't purge out of the game file. But that is most likely not the cause for the problem, because I've gotten those messages for months now and they never had any noticeable impact on the game.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

Is there a way to do a profiling on papyrus and figure out which script is causing these lags?

Here's my list of mods:

Alot of active mods will lag out SKyrim. With around 200 active mods when I was at High Hrothgar for the first time, it took about 3-5 minutes between each action. Arngeir would tell me that so-and-so would teach me the next word of Unrelenting Force or the Whirlwind Sprint, the NPC would say the word, I'd see the wave effect and then it'd take 3-5 minutes for the word to appear on the ground so I could learn it.

Guest Grestorn

Yes, that's quite obvious and to be expected. 

However, I wonder why that started to happen at this specific point in the game when I didn't really add any mod. I thought that the vampire mods might be the cause, since they obviously only start to do something as soon as I became a vampire. But I got rid of them, and that didn't change anything...

I think there's some conflict I just can't figure out. As it is, I can just forget about continuing that saved game :(

Yes, that's quite obvious and to be expected. 

However, I wonder why that started to happen at this specific point in the game when I didn't really add any mod. I thought that the vampire mods might be the cause, since they obviously only start to do something as soon as I became a vampire. But I got rid of them, and that didn't change anything...

I think there's some conflict I just can't figure out. As it is, I can just forget about continuing that saved game :(

Yeah I ended up quiting/deleting about 8 saved games cause of crap from removing mods and scripts getting fucked up. Skyrim is very stable now but had to turn off all follower, quest and weapon mods :(  :(  :(  :(  :( Around 260 hours down the toilet in those deleted saves.

Oblivion was a hell of alot more stable and had a hell of alot less bugs running 240-248 mods then Skyrim running a measly 198. The only problems I had in Oblivion was I was forever locked out of Anvil chapel during Knights of the Nine cause the doors weren't clickable and after visiting the wayshrines I had to use setstage command to to advance the quest and get the vision/visit from Pelinel. in SKyrim with 198 mods the main quest line wasn't able to be completed cause during Diplomatic Immunity there was a permanent CTD after slipping from the party through the kitchen. The Theives Guild quest line couldn't be completed cause after shaking down the 3 NPC's and returning to the Flagon the quest completed, the next quest woudn't start, setstage command couldn't start the next quest and entering the Cistern caused all the NPC's to try and frag me :lol:  :D  :P  ;)  :cool:

Could be a script version issue.

The biggest two to get like that are companionshousekeepingscript and the vampire ones. They are in vanilla, the unofficial patches, mods like RaceCompatibility and each unique race mod you install will have their own version. With the vampire scripts many mods walk all over them.

When they fire off they are typically replying to the wrong esm/esp.

I first ran into this with the Ningheim Race, it's script was overridden by the Unofficial Skyrim Patch, overriding the RaceCompatibility script, and overwritten itself by the Dawnguard script. Took forever to figure it out (was using NMM at the time). I ended up manually installing the Ningheim Race scripts to get past it.

It's harder to see this in FOMM or NMM than in Mod Organizer, so I suggest trying Mod Organizer and looking at the Priorities.

Could be a script version issue.

The biggest two to get like that are companionshousekeepingscript and the vampire ones. They are in vanilla, the unofficial patches, mods like RaceCompatibility and each unique race mod you install will have their own version. With the vampire scripts many mods walk all over them.

When they fire off they are typically replying to the wrong esm/esp.

I first ran into this with the Ningheim Race, it's script was overridden by the Unofficial Skyrim Patch, overriding the RaceCompatibility script, and overwritten itself by the Dawnguard script. Took forever to figure it out (was using NMM at the time). I ended up manually installing the Ningheim Race scripts to get past it.

It's harder to see this in FOMM or NMM than in Mod Organizer, so I suggest trying Mod Organizer and looking at the Priorities.

Only installed 2 race mods and not using either this save game. I do have a few mods for werewolves though. Never have anything to do with vampires in Skyrim except to frag them. Have more then a dozen follower mods i'd love to use with SexLab but I have to create a seperate character running absolute minimal mods to get SexLab to work. It's a pita having to open Wrye Bash anytime I want to use SexLab cause I have to load the mods associated with the character thats just for SexLab.

Werewolves scripts are also supplied by the custom race you are using(and the unofficial patches, werewolf mods, vanilla, RaceCompatibility etc).

These also will be apparent when you run Mod Organizer, right-click the mod(s) in question, click "Information" and then click the Conflicts tab. You'll see two boxes - the top box is files the mod over-writes (and the mod it's over-writing) and the bottom box shows files which are overwritten by other mods (and the name of those mods).

To control which mod has control over those files, Mod Organizer has a feature called Priorities. In the left panel, there is a column labeled "Priority", which contains numbers. You can change those Priority numbers to ensure you are getting the correct version - all before setting the load order. Mod Organizer is even smart enough to notice when a file is being supplied by multiple mods and warn you about it.

In NMM, load order alone determines which version of a file gets used, which, coincidentally is why so many installations get corrupted after updating mods.

I don't believe Wrye Bash can perform that function.

At the time I didn't know scripts were embedded into the save file. Why i'm careful now. I think ClearInvalidRegistrations is run now. If file is put in SKSE then it must be working. Other day when i had to turn off a mod that makes all named NPC's in cities essential cause one of them for a Dark brotherhood optional step was made essential, it took Skyrim like 3-4 minutes (every other time it barely takes 10 seconds) for the main menu to load so I could use coc ctest to load my save. As for Mod Organizer, no idea what the problem was. The uninstall package was deleted somehow so had to straight delete the program before installing latest version.

Archived