[HELP] blurry textures despite 4k mods?

I have a lot of high-resolution textures in my game that upscale with 2K or 4K textures environment and also clothing. But still these objects are sometimes displayed blurry and other times not. The best example I just stood in front of a wall with a picture, for both I have installed high-resolution textures. The image was blurry and the wall was sharp. Or 2 NPCs are standing in front of me with the same clothing, one has a sharp texture and the other has a blurry texture. How can this be and what can I do to fix it?

Well, there are several things.

You said it yourself. You have a lot of 2k to 4k high-resolution textures. The higher resolution of your textures, the more ram the game will eat up. Fallout 4 struggles with memory issues and when it has to load a ton of high-resolution textures, it defaults to the low-resolution ones (mipmaps) to be able to run properly.

To fix it? Lower your standards lol. Seriously though, the game is struggling to run those high-resolution textures when you have a lot of them. You don't need a ton of 4k textures, as 2k (and even 1k) work just fine and will be a relief on your memory.

Are you using loose textures? Pack them into a bsa (if you haven't hit the bsa limit). The game will load them better if they are packed instead of loose. What I personally do is get all of my retexture mods and pack them into one single bsa (well, two if you have mesh edits and materials). Then just make an esp to load your bsa. Make a big difference with the loading.

Don't use mods that break precombines. Eats up your memory and for obvious reasons, causes problems and crashes. With that eating up your memory, it won't leave room for your textures to load properly, thus leading to blurry textures.

There's an ini edit I use, not sure if it's a placebo or actually works, but I've never had blurry textures while using it so I guess it works. Try adding this to your fallout4.ini file under General:

bForceUpdateDiffuseOnly=0
iTextureDegradeDistance0=1600
iTextureDegradeDistance1=3000
iTextureUpgradeDistance0=1200
iTextureUpgradeDistance1=2400

source

It's supposed to prevent low-resolution textures from loading, so you'll always get the high-resolution textures all the time. Might cause a bit more delay on load, but I haven't noticed it. I've always used that and never had blurry texture issues. If it is actually working or not, at least it gives me peace of mind lol.

Another thing, check your memory allocation settings. Whether ENB or just Windows in general. Make sure enough memory is being allocated to Fallout 4 to handle the load of all your textures.

For a frame of reference, I run Luxor's HD Overhaul and a butt-load of retexture mods. I pack all my retextures into a single bsa (My Retextures - Main, My Retextures - Textures, My Retextures.esp). I use that ini edit as well. I have 24GB of ram and 6GB of vram. No blurry textures.

Hope that helps somewhat, or points you in the right direction at least. :)

Edited by Spyder Arachnid