Hi, I wonder if anyone can help.

I'm getting a freeze whenever I enter a certain area of the game, either trying to cross the bridge from Fort Amol, or leaving Darkwater crossing. I had noticed a couple of weeks ago when I was trying to pregenerate grass, that it would fail over and over with "Generating grass for Darkwaterworld(1, -2) 5.42 pct, world 33 out of 53", I did make a save when that happened and used coc DarkwaterCrossingExterior01 and had no crashes there or even as far as Fort Amol, so I assumed that it was an incompatible mod that was breaking the grass generation, now I seems that there's just something wrong in that area. Hopefully if I can track this down I can solve both issues.

I know the most likely answer is just to go through and disable mods one by one until I find the culprit, but I am sure that will take me a long time, so in the meantime I was hoping if I share my modlist, someone might see something that could cause it before I do as I go through them one by one.

My Modwatch

The attached crashlog has some different mods and loadorder as I have changed a few things since I gave up on pregenerating grass, I'm just linking it incase something stands out as I cannot understand those logs.

Thank you for any help.

Crash_2024_3_12_11-16-22.txt enb2024_3_21_13_42_48.bmp

You already know what I would normally say in a thread like this, so I'm not going to. I will however say that your freezing issues have technically nothing to do with the crash. Also, the crash log callstack is corrupt, so in the future use a compentent crash logger instead.

As for what can be learned from that crash log, your issue is quite likely in a mesh that contains a node named CaveGEDoorUp03. Use a tool such as Notepad++ to search through all nif files in all mods for that string.

Edited by traison
beter enlgish

Yeah, I've tried using both trainwreck and crashlogger to get a crash log, but the freeze when crossing the bridge leaves no log with any of them. The main reason I shared that crash log was when the grass pregeneration was failing a few weeks prior, it seemed to be the same area, so hoped maybe it could help where I have no relevent logs for the freeze/crash.

Looking from the crash log, I suspect it has something to do with Auto Parallax or Lux. I suspect it is Lux meshes. 

There is similar issue reported in the Lux bug page, which is in the same place and with same mesh: CaveGEDoorUp. Try updating to newer version (6.5.1 supposedly fix this)

Also some people suggest putting Lux - Resources.esp before Lux - Master plugin.esm. Perhaps you can try that as well.

Edited by LittleWhiteNeko
19 minutes ago, solidcrow said:

I've tried using both trainwreck and crashlogger to get a crash log, but the freeze when crossing the bridge leaves no log with any of them.

Because, like I said, a freeze is not a crash. When something freezes, there is technically nothing wrong with the software. As far as Windows is concerned, it's just some software that may be demanding a lot from the CPU, or is doing a very repetitive task, one that may take forever to complete. A crash is when the application terminates in an unexpected/unmanaged manner. You can also handle an exception, even an unexpected one, and terminate the application as a result - this will look like a traditional CTD, but is not the same thing.

Lux is a good guess by @LittleWhiteNeko. Freezes have a tendency to be because of game data issues. The Lux family of mods as far as I know messes with practically every aspect of the world.

Ok, I tried updating Lux to the latest version, but still crashing entering that area. I wonder if I would need a new or clean save to make that work? I did see someone ask that on the bug on the Lux page, but didn't see a reply to that.

Also I appologise for being confused over freezing and crashing, I remember a year and a half ago I had a similar kind of issue with bleak falls which turned out to be Bakas Populated Skyrim, I couldn't remember what I was supposed to call it and panicked while making this thread, sorry. :)

Ok, after some testing, updating Lux seems to have worked, the saves I made at the bridge must have become corrupted or something, I went back to a slighty earlier save just before there and made the journey down, and managed to travel straight through the area.

Thank you both so much for the help.