Sexbound mod - NPC passive or forcible relocation mod ?

I'm not entirely sure if anyone still plays Starbound, but I would LOVE to see a mod where you can make NPC's come live on your ship / village/ city wherever via a passive means or by force :) It shits me where you see a cute lil Fennec or Hylotl in the middle of a sandstorm defending against all them nasty mobs all by herself and think "gee, i wish i could just whisk her away to safety... or  or just club the bitch and drag her back to the ship in a sack..."

5 hours ago, Stygian_Warg said:

I'm not entirely sure if anyone still plays Starbound, but I would LOVE to see a mod where you can make NPC's come live on your ship / village/ city wherever via a passive means or by force :) It shits me where you see a cute lil Fennec or Hylotl in the middle of a sandstorm defending against all them nasty mobs all by herself and think "gee, i wish i could just whisk her away to safety... or  or just club the bitch and drag her back to the ship in a sack..."

That's just copying the pet (crewmember) recruitment system but omitting the part where they get "respawned" as "crewmember" npc type or given your crew's outfit.

Also assuming that the recruitment system is fully Lua sided and not using hardcoded backend magic.

A new NPC system would be useful for a number of things in this game, it's something I've thought about with TTPP. The only options are Tenants and Crewmates, and you don't have a ton of control there. Best option is the mods that let you create custom NPCs, but then that's making a new one rather than capturing an existing one. If the capture ball system could just apply to NPCs that'd basically be what we need, but I'm sure there's many reasons you can't just add them as valid targets.

I'm trying to think of uses for that mechanic outside adult content, because that sound tricky enough that you'd kind of need a wider reach to motivate making it. Bounty hunting is one idea, an approach that isn't just killing everyone. Plus in a setting where everyone might be able to respawn (that's a pretty big plot hole in Starbound to be honest), capturing might be one of the only actual options to deal with someone. Also frees up code for a pet system, lets you have more advanced "pet" type things. Combat droids, workers, that kind of thing.

Besides trying to justify stuffing people into balls for anything other than kinky shit, we could use an actual conversation/ordering system. Go here, board my ship as a passenger, reinforce this town, go to the Outpost because it's safe there, etc. Build up a refugee camp of people in places that aren't flaming hellscapes, protected by the player. Or y-know, that's how it might look on the surface.

17 minutes ago, BobJohnsonson said:

A new NPC system would be useful for a number of things in this game, it's something I've thought about with TTPP. The only options are Tenants and Crewmates, and you don't have a ton of control there. Best option is the mods that let you create custom NPCs, but then that's making a new one rather than capturing an existing one. If the capture ball system could just apply to NPCs that'd basically be what we need, but I'm sure there's many reasons you can't just add them as valid targets.

I'm trying to think of uses for that mechanic outside adult content, because that sound tricky enough that you'd kind of need a wider reach to motivate making it. Bounty hunting is one idea, an approach that isn't just killing everyone. Plus in a setting where everyone might be able to respawn (that's a pretty big plot hole in Starbound to be honest), capturing might be one of the only actual options to deal with someone. Also frees up code for a pet system, lets you have more advanced "pet" type things. Combat droids, workers, that kind of thing.

Besides trying to justify stuffing people into balls for anything other than kinky shit, we could use an actual conversation/ordering system. Go here, board my ship as a passenger, reinforce this town, go to the Outpost because it's safe there, etc. Build up a refugee camp of people in places that aren't flaming hellscapes, protected by the player. Or y-know, that's how it might look on the surface.

While all of the later mentioned stuff would be pretty rad - proper NPC management and stuff - this is going off the rails pretty fast. Snagging the pet/crewmember recruitment system and making it work on random NPCs via custom dialog/item/whatever trigger is one simple Lua modding thing. Making NPCs generally useful and stay in specific, persistent places requires rewriting Starbound itself.