Having CTD on new saves after a long playthrough

Had a look at the first 3 SkyrimSE.exe callstack entries from your latest log (these being the only ones that seem like they may have been read correctly), but the entries do not line up with what I'm seeing in my 1.5.97. I get the feeling we're working with unreliable data here. Try this logger instead and post a log from it.

3 hours ago, traison said:

Had a look at the first 3 SkyrimSE.exe callstack entries from your latest log (these being the only ones that seem like they may have been read correctly), but the entries do not line up with what I'm seeing in my 1.5.97. I get the feeling we're working with unreliable data here. Try this logger instead and post a log from it.

Because I have been going back and forth between Netscriptframework crash logs and Crash Logger SSE they might seem inconsistent but thats because for Crash Logger SSE I have to disable the other one and visa versa. Anyway, here is the latest log from Crash Logger as well as the Report from Crash Logger Reader: 

crash-2024-01-24-23-49-21-REPORT.txt crash-2024-01-24-23-49-21.log

Ah I see, all of those SkyrimSE.exe offsets are within the packed sections of the exe. They're only visible in a debugger (not the disassembler where I was earlier). Should have realized that sooner.

The place where it's crashing (VCRUNTIME140.dll+00012DB) is memcpy (memory copy), which makes sense considering the ReSaver error earlier ("Incorrect length; read 1 bytes, expected 4."). This does not mean you have a memory problem, just that save file contains an invalid number (corrupted save) and its not checked before its passed to memcpy.

There is however a difference between our vcruntime140.dll files, because the offset 0x12db points into the middle of an instruction in my copy. This is not going to fix your issues (unless there specifically happens to be a bug in your version of vcruntime140.dll, which I very much doubt), but if you really don't want to rip your mod setup apart just yet:

My version:

Major  Minor  Build  Revision
-----  -----  -----  --------
14     38     33130  0

My md5 checksum:

8a090e342a1cfc590b468b61e0c6e23a  C:\Windows\System32\vcruntime140.dll

My OS:

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro, 10.0.22621, Edit: Probably not running latest updates.

Do not seek to manually replace that file. Stuff like this should be delivered through Windows Updates. You may consider manually downloading updates (only from Microsoft) if this file happens to be part of an optional update.

According to my documentation msvcp140 is part of (but not limited to):

vc15, vc17, vc19 and vc22, where vc19 and vc22 are unconfirmed labels. The version I have is from something newer than vc22 as that one provides version 14.34.31938.

Edited by traison

Interesting. I also was messing around with some saves and testing stuff. When I created a new save game I was able to enter the Magic menu instantly but on my latest saves it takes a good 15-30 seconds to load into it. I thought that was strange so I went back about 20 saves way before I had any problems and sure enough the Magic menu opened instantly. Could this be an indicator of some sort of mod gone wrong over the past 20 saves and the problems spiraled?

I also noticed on the most recent saves that it was saying “Warning: access to non-existing object” in the console. It apparently is a bug that relates to Project Protus and JContainers. On the older save, about 20 ago, this message doesnt pop up at all. Im wondering If I accidently edited something but didnt perma save it to the character so the edit would still be open somehow? 

This could however just be the time in my modlist that its going to happen. Im nervous that If I go back 20 saves ago and continue playing for a few days will this just happen again?

I am currently downloading a security and a update preview for .Net framework through windows update so fingers crossed 

There are a handful of other optional updates and driver updates that Im installing as well.

Some more info! 

I loaded up the save (1128 which had no menu lag) in ReSaver and it said no unattached instances and no undefined elements. The very next save (1129 which was in Broken Oar Grotto where I first noticed some menu lag and a crash on loading a save) it says there is now one Undefined thread! So does that confirm I edited something in Protus that was not safe and the problems snowballed from there?

Resaver Save 1129.png

Don't know about undefined threads, but generally there should be no suspended stacks. My understanding is that when code does not stop running in a timely fashion you get a stack dump in the papyrus log and a suspended thread or "stack" as its called there. Heavy papyrus load could cause it as well and there's a couple of options for that:

1. Old fashioned way: go Blair Witching in a corner somewhere until the problem (maybe) goes away.
  2. Get PapyrusTweaks and up the iMaxOpsPerFrame value to 1500. Disable the other fixes it provides unless they seem immediately useful - don't fix it if it ain't broken. The downside of this method is that if you have bloated scripts running in your game, all this is going to do is sweep the problem under the rug.

I loaded up the save with no problems then cleared Broken Oar Grotto. Game felt very smooth beginning to end, no lag opening menus at all. I saved at the end of the grotto and was able to load the save no problem. Here is that save in ReSaver: Should I still go about the papyrus tweaks route?

Save 1149 Screenshot.png

I have the PapyrusTweaks tweak as I specified above, but I didn't install it to fix any specific issue. I did however notice afterwards that SL starts animations very quickly now, and all MCM menus react instantly. What Bethesda did to Papyrus performance in Skyrim SE was horrible. This tweak is something everyone should do tbh as long as its not to cover up bad code. If you go too far you'll eventually get to a point where Papyrus starts eating up your frame rate - in theory at least.

Edited by traison

Sounds Good! I made the tweak and Ill begin play testing off the best loading save and delete all the bugged ones. Hopefully it all goes well! Thank you so much! 

Ps. If it doesn't go well I guess ill keep coming back to here xD

To Recap for anyone else who finds this thread: I had a bad edit somewhere in my saves. Had to find the most recent save that showed no problems in ReSaver and start back from there. I also Edited the PapyrusTweaks.ini to up the iMaxOpsPerFrame value from 500 where it is at normally to 1500. Also my first post on the thread details most of the other steps I took. Good luck!

I recommend to also check your systems virtual memory settings - I experienced similar issues with CTD on load using the default setup in Win10.

After increasing the virtual memory to the max. allowed settings the situation is much better with very rare CTDs.