CTDs after Downgrading to 1.5.9.7

Hi,

I downgraded my game back to 1.5.9.7 using the unofficial downgrade patcher from the nexus and installed skse64 version 2.0.2.0 and now my game is crashing before it gets to the main menu. was hope to get some help 

crash-2024-01-01-03-30-35.log

20 minutes ago, Ablack13 said:

I downloaded the 1.5.9.7 files using the Steam console, it seems to be working now, thanks tho

Really? Last time I tried that they had removed the manifests from Steam (or otherwise prevented them from being downloaded). This was almost exactly 1 year ago.

Edit: Apparently so, it's working again. ?

Edited by traison

I don't know what to tell ya there, I used these commands and it worked

download_depot 489830 489831 7848722008564294070

download_depot 489830 489832 8702665189575304780

download_depot 489830 489833 2289561010626853674

Thanks to stop advertising this incomplete method, it covers only the us version of the game.
As for the ctd when using the best of both patcher, it doesn't come from the patcher itself but from the lack of support for the new file header, you simply need to install "backported extended esl support" https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/106441 to fix the ctd, no need to use the incomplete depot method (localised versions of the game require a fourth depot, different for each language). Also of course when you downgrade the game, make sure you use the correct version of skse and address libray.

1.5.97 -> skse 2.0.20 al 2
1.6.640 -> skse 2.2.3 al 8 or 9

1.6.1130 -> skse 2.2.5 al 9.

Besides using BEES ensures compatibility with future mods and versions of mods using the new file header (except of course for the skse dlls), and doubles the maximum of esls/efpes. It also brings new papyrus features.

Edited by Shonen17000
2 minutes ago, Shonen17000 said:

backported extended esl support

Makes sense, that could look identical to the previously mentioned causes. As far as I know this would only be true if the OP already downloaded a mod with an esl plugin that makes use of the extended range (i.e. has more records in it than what was previously supported by esl plugins) - or I missunderstood what the range extension was for.

19 minutes ago, traison said:

Makes sense, that could look identical to the previously mentioned causes. As far as I know this would only be true if the OP already downloaded a mod with an esl plugin that makes use of the extended range (i.e. has more records in it than what was previously supported by esl plugins) - or I missunderstood what the range extension was for.

NO, it's true even on an unmodded game, some of the masters have the new file header and remain unmodified when using the best of both patcher (it downgrades only the engine, the steam launcher and two dlls), so the game can't load a part of it's masters and gives ctds at launch.

And i'm pretty sure the new ussep uses the new file header too, wrye bash hasn't been updated yet and complains about that.

And i know because i tried.

Besides BEES does three things:
extended esl support -> not the actual cause of the ctd.
new file header -> true cause of the ctd.
new papyrus features -> Has nothing to do with the ctd either.

To note; thanks to the source of BEES, esl support has been brought to skyrim vr (and extended esl support), but not the new papyrus features.

Edited by Shonen17000
16 minutes ago, Shonen17000 said:

NO, it's true even on an unmodded game, some of the masters have the new file header and remain unmodified when using the best of both patcher

I wouldn't consider a downgrader that doesn't downgrade everything as an unmodded game. That falls in the "user downloaded something that broke it" category for me. But thanks for the reminder for the plugin header change, I had already forgotten about that.

18 minutes ago, traison said:

I wouldn't consider a downgrader that doesn't downgrade everything as an unmodded game. That falls in the "user downloaded something that broke it" category for me. But thanks for the reminder for the plugin header change, I had already forgotten about that.

well yeah, indeed it is modded in that aspect, but it doesn't change the fact it doesn't touch the actual game files (to the point the new ussep works perfectly even though LOOT complains about it).
To be frank:
best of both / correct skse / correct address library, no other mods: ctd.
same +  BEES: no ctd (and i was actually one of the first ones to realize about this missing file header support in the downgraded game, even the patcher's creator thought it was broken).

So it's not actually the downgrader that breaks the game, but the lack of support for the new file header.

That said, it does break the creations shop and the news on the main menu, so it's advised to download and install all your creations mods before downgrading.

Edited by Shonen17000