Any fix for "The save game is corrupt and cannot be loaded"?

Is there any way to fix "The save game is corrupt and cannot be loaded"?

Was working fine before the 1.6.1130 update.

Now every single save gives the same error.

Have tried all the engine fixes:

• MaxStdio = 8192
  • SaveGameMaxSize = true

Also tried the suggestion:

• SaveGameMaxSize = false

Savegame Maxsize Plus SKSE doesn't appear to do anything.

Run saves through FallrimTools - Script cleaner and more with no luck.

Open to suggestions.

Usually not... Updating the game version usually means -> start a new game with a new character... and don't forget to update your mods accordingly.

Do not you want?

Well - then downgrade your game to the old version... and hope that the loading order of your mods hasn't changed... that can lead to problems with a saved game.

---

Now guess - why I DIDN'T switch from Se to AE more than a year ago... and my Steam has been offline since that time... yes - exactly because of all these problems.

---

To downgrade the AE version, please ask here in this service thread:

agreed. I'm surprised that Skyrim is able to start, there's a lot of mods that would have needed updating to get to 1130, and if the mods were updated to 1130 then there are probably all sorts of disconnected variables and scripts. Fallrim would remove the orphaned variables, but could leave the equivalent of swiss cheese in the save file.

Had a quick look at where that message comes from in the disassembly:

1. One seemed to be from quickloading.
  2. Another had a papyrus engine load error just before it, but it was printed somewhere else. Maybe the papyrus log or the in-game console?
  3. The third I didn't spot any identifyable marks for.

Generally though it seemed the code was checking offsets for known characters, sort of like magic bytes, this would suggest Miauzi is correct. I'm sort of thinking the internet would have been more on fire than it was, if everyone had lost all their progress however.

I think it would be essential to ask the question "Has anyone successfully continued their version 640 save on version 1130?", assuming that's the version you updated from. If you skipped a version then all bets are off.

Vor 30 Minuten sagte traison:

Ich habe mir kurz angesehen, woher diese Meldung in der Demontage kommt:

1. Einer schien vom Schnellladen zu stammen.
  2. Ein anderer hatte kurz davor einen Papyrus-Engine-Ladefehler, der aber woanders gedruckt wurde. Vielleicht das Papyrus-Protokoll oder die In-Game-Konsole?
  3. Beim dritten habe ich keine erkennbaren Markierungen entdeckt.

Obwohl es im Allgemeinen so aussah, als würde der Code Offsets auf bekannte Zeichen überprüfen, ähnlich wie magische Bytes, deutet dies darauf hin, dass Miauzi Recht hat. Ich denke, das Internet wäre noch mehr in Flammen aufgegangen, als es war, wenn jedoch alle alle ihre Fortschritte verloren hätten.

Ich denke, es wäre wichtig, die Frage zu stellen: „Hat jemand seine Version 640 erfolgreich auf Version 1130 gespeichert?“, vorausgesetzt, das ist die Version, von der aus Sie ein Update durchgeführt haben . Wenn Sie eine Version übersprungen haben, sind alle Wetten ungültig.

The "quick save" is a well-known source of errors - I still have problems with it even WITHOUT updating the Skyrim version.

If at all, you should start such an attempt from a "permanent" storage.

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned above, who knows with the newest version of AE. I use SE.

While I am not as familiar with the code and error logs as Traison is, apart from an updated game causing issues, I have found that when one of the following three things happen, you are very likely to have a screwed up and corrupted save.

1. Removing a mod that has a plugin (.esp, .esl, .esm in the right plane in MO2) from your build during a playthrough. The plugin order is established when the game loads up for the first time, when you remove one or more,  the plugin list is now mismatched and it fucks things up.

2. When you add a mod that has a plugin (.esp, .esl, .esm in the right plane in MO2) to your build during a playthrough. This will most likely fuck your shit up. If the mod is added to the very end of the plugin load order it might not by itself be the thing that screws it up, but it also may not play well with your other plugins if it is at the very bottom of your plugin order and therefore fuck shit up.

3. Resorting your plugin order via LOOT, the sort button, or even manually. See 1.

Sometimes the game will function for awhile if you do any of those things, but every save after the action will also probably be corrupted. If it was number 3 then even if you remove an offending mod, or were simple resorting then most likely all your saves are FUBAR.

Caveat, this is based only on my limited understanding, there may indeed be solutions to the above 3 issues that others are aware of.

Generally I find esl marked (extension is irrelevant here) plugins to be the touchy ones. But yes, adding, removing or otherwise changing the priority of regular plugins has the potential to cause issues. However I'd say that's only in the cases where you either have an old version of SOS or the plugin change you made changed a critical record of some kind. Critical record in this case meaning something that's going to change an ongoing process - like a running quest suddenly finding itself in a state that no longer exists or something along these lines. Adding and removing (non-esl) plugins during an ongoing game is pretty much what I do every day I mod Skyrim.

4 minutes ago, traison said:

Generally I find esl marked (extension is irrelevant here) plugins to be the touchy ones. But yes, adding, removing or otherwise changing the priority of regular plugins has the potential to cause issues. However I'd say that's only in the cases where you either have an old version of SOS or the plugin change you made changed a critical record of some kind. Critical record in this case meaning something that's going to change an ongoing process - like a running quest suddenly finding itself in a state that no longer exists or something along these lines. Adding and removing (non-esl) plugins during an ongoing game is pretty much what I do every day I mod Skyrim.

And this is why I add the caveat. I learned something new today thanks!