Game Lag/Constant framerate drops

I have an inquiry as I could never manage to find a concrete answer to it but my game loves to keep dropping to 10-15FPS and staying like that constantly, sometimes opening and closing the pause menu solves it, sometimes it doesn't. My mods folder is actually gigantic and I got the better excetions mod installed as well, I deleted all conflicting files but to no avail, the game still runs like dogwater from time to time.

Has anyone found a solution to this? Is there any way to better manage my mods folder so I can just make sure what I'm deleting is not necessary to the characters I'm using/playing with and the sorts?

This has been nagging me for quite a while but as I said, searching mostly yields some Reddit comments and people saying it's due to the game running on a 10+ years old game engine and the sheer amount of DLC content EA has released throughout the years has brought the game's performance to a crawl but not sure I bite it 100%, this seems really unusualy especially when some people have 0 complaints about their game acting erratic like this.

More information is needed before any real solutions can be offered.

Aside from deleting any conflicting files, what other troubleshooting have you done?

When the framerate drops/lags, does it occur on any lot, or only certain ones?  For example, does the game play without issues on the "home" lot, but lags when you visit a specific lot/world, or does it occur on any lot?

Alternately, does the lag occur when certain conditions are met?  For example, the issue only occurs when over 10 sims are on a given lot.

Have you tried going into the game options and adjusting the resolution and/or adjusting the graphics quality?  Depending on the game and the graphics card I'm using, I have seen improvements in performance with some games just by lowering the lighting/shadows and turning off reflections, while others I need to lower the resolution and object quality as well.

Spoiler

image.png.9086d740dcb2abee256eef2b0c9c30ac.png

As an additional test, since you've mentioned that your mods folder is very large, have you tried temporarily removing all of your mods and starting a new game to see if you can reproduce the issue with just the vanilla game?

Do you have a lot of script mods running?  (The mods will have a corresponding "ts4script" file alongside the "package" file to help your review.  Using the files for WW as an example, TURBODRIVER_WickedWhims_Scripts.ts4script and TURBODRIVER_WickedWhims_Tuning.package).

Do you use any graphical enhancement mods, like ReShade, alongside the game?  If so, do you see the same issue without using them?

One last item, did your copy of the Sims 4 ever play without lags?  If so, what changed to your setup from when it worked to when you started seeing the issue?

Edited by zapotek2034