Crash when loading manual saves from main menu

I'm having this issue where I can only load quick or auto saves from the main menu of skyrim. If I do I get the "Skyrim has stopped responding" box and the game crashes during the loading screen. This type of crash doesn't give me a .NET crash log either. If I load a quick save first and then load a manual save, it loads fine. Weird bug. I have a lot of mods and this particular save has been through a lot so I'm prepared to accept that it's a cost of using worst modding practices, but if anyone knows a possible fix please let me know

Possible fix, no, but typically when you get that "has stopped responding" message it means the message pump has stopped pumping. I.e. the window has stopped processing messages - the wndproc is stuck. Most likely the reason you're not getting a crash log is that the program terminates itself, either as a result of the ui thread being stuck or because of an handled exception. Could also be that Windows terminates the application if you respond to that dialog popup (maybe it has a "close" button?) A thing worth noting as well is that, while its recommended and good practice to have an always-responding wndproc, it is not technically required. Meaning, in a badly made application, an unresponsive wndproc may be part of the design. For instance, if its processing large amounts of data in the ui thread (common mistake), it will block the ui thread (message pump) from pumping. A situation like this resolves itself when the data is finished processing. That said, have you tried simply waiting ~3 minutes (leave the "stopped responding" dialog open)?

6 hours ago, johnhamm said:

If I load a quick save first and then load a manual save, it loads fine. Weird bug.

In the world of Skyrim this is not weird. Perhaps the most common way to get problematic saves to load is to coc qasmoke, and then load the save. Sometimes these kinds of problems go away on their own as well. It could for instance be happening because of where you are in the world, where you are in a quest, or where an NPC is and what they're doing. When time passes, the sitaution changes and resolves iself.

Other than that, the only thing I can think of is to treat this as a freeze (as that is essentially what it is) and go at it with a debugger. Easier said than done however.