Would it be possible?

TerryWolff

Hi, a newb here, been looking at Skyrim modding a bit, and still trying to find my way around the Creation Kit (so much different from Oblivions kit o.o'), and I was just wondering, would it be possible to make it so normal dogs in the game used the wolf mesh? I don't mean simply overwriting the games textures so dogs would look like wolves, but actually make it so dogs are shown as the same race as wolves. This way you avoid conflicts with FNIS not being able to work with both, sense you would only have wolves, right? But would doing that cause harm to the AI? I don't think so, but again, I'm not sure, cause that would also cause the factions they belong to to change right? or would the factions be able to stay the same while still being able to allow finish to recognize them as wolves to use the behavior files it makes. I know I'm talking a lot here... and probably look like an idiot, but, just had to ask. :3

It's possible, you would most likely need to do it yourself though as most experienced modders like myself are busy doing other projects.

Oh, I know that, I was just thinking that perhaps, using that same system, maybe one could use different .nifs (like how there's a different nif for red wolves, black wolves, and vanilla wolves), and use different textures combined with the base wolf mesh to... mimic different dog breeds, sense a bunch of different textures are available already. I was thinking renaming and redoing the wolf mesh's like such:

WolfM.nif
WolfME.nif
WolfF.nif
WolfblackM.nif
WolfblackME.nif
WolfblackF.nif
WolfredM.nif
WolfredME.nif
WolfredF

(Canine Variations)
HuskyM.nif
HuskyME.nif
HuskyF.nif
WolfhoundM.nif
WolfhoundME.nif
WolfhoundF.nif

(M- Male; ME- Male Erect; F-Female)

and so on, each obviously having a mesh to correspond to it with it's custom texture applied, this then solves FNIS's wolf/dog problem in a... odd way, since it's still the base wolf mesh, just a few different variations on texture. I just needed to know if such a redo would be possible if attempted... but if it is I'm going to try and do so myself. Perhaps adding in each variant into the leveled lists so they spawn as well? 

Nevermind!!! I believe I found a different fix. Using vigilance as my test dummy, I replaced the hkx he uses (default dogproject.hkx) with the wolfproject.hkx, and also made it so he uses the wolf skeleton. It seems it didn't harm him at all (haven't tested if his follower scripts still work though... checking into that) but, using the beast spells, I was able to first summon a wolf to me, and confirm they were working, then I summoned him to me, and it still worked. Hmmm... perhaps if I went and made it so all dogs used the wolves hkx file and skeleton? it seems there's no real big difference shown yet by swapping them out at least. :3

• 3 weeks later...

There is this mod, which replaces the dog mesh and animations with the wolf mesh and animations, but it doesn't make them all the same species... 

(And either the OP is leaving something out, or my game is really weird, because contrary to what the mod says, there's four or five different color variations in my game - a black dog, a tannish one, a German shepherd-y one (which is what Meeko turns into), and a white-and-black one. Also possibly more that I haven't seen yet?)

Anyways sorry for rambling I know this isn't quite what you need but I hope it helps!

Archived