.dds file format for event backgrounds?

Hi all,

Trying to create my own scenes and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to convert jpgs or pngs to dds files that I can add as backgrounds to events. I have tried GIMP and paint.net with seemingly every option combo when exporting as dds but nothing words. Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Drake_Hound said:

Gee you got paint.net just open that JPG or PNG and save as input name ... select Direct Draws Surface that is DDS.

Sorry for being so snappy.. and everybody has to start somewhere. but eh you couldn't figure that out?

Hey thanks for the reply. I left out a lot of detail that I'm thinking is needed.

I figured out that much: open the jpg/png in paint.net, save as DDS, no problem. I then moved the new DDS into my gfx/interface/illustrations/event_scenes folder, referenced it in the "theme" I constructed in the common/event_themes file I made, and then referenced that theme in the event I wrote. The event fires fine, but the background is just blank! I tried referencing another DDS image from a different mod I downloaded, refreshed the event in debug mode, and the background referenced the correct picture from that other mod. I'm guessing I'm choosing the wrong format in paint.net. I'm saving it with the BC3 (Linear, DXT5) setting with no other options checked. 

Any thoughts?

Edited by Pedrisimo101

Ok you are not helpless after all.

Since you do check if other background theme are working.

the ones that are working, have a size... so what you do is open the one that are working

Copy that Picture you want and past as a different layer , do not click on letting the image resize the window, infact you need to resize the picture to fit that window.

then delete the bottom layer (the old picture)..  and save again as DDS.

The other method is get the size of working event background.

so on the event picture you want, click on image and resize fill in the size figures in from event background sizes. 

and done, 

3 for pro's 

For perfection or advance editing to keep as much pixels and artwork intact.

It is best to use a combination of the two. resize your new picture to the working Event as a new layer.  go back to the picture you want and resize it the number that fits closest to how you want the background to look with as much details and pixel intact. 

Copy over the picture you want and paste it again as a new layer, and delete all the bottom layers and done. 

1 hour ago, Drake_Hound said:

Ok you are not helpless after all.

Since you do check if other background theme are working.

the ones that are working, have a size... so what you do is open the one that are working

Copy that Picture you want and past as a different layer , do not click on letting the image resize the window, infact you need to resize the picture to fit that window.

then delete the bottom layer (the old picture)..  and save again as DDS.

The other method is get the size of working event background.

so on the event picture you want, click on image and resize fill in the size figures in from event background sizes. 

and done, 

3 for pro's 

For perfection or advance editing to keep as much pixels and artwork intact.

It is best to use a combination of the two. resize your new picture to the working Event as a new layer.  go back to the picture you want and resize it the number that fits closest to how you want the background to look with as much details and pixel intact. 

Copy over the picture you want and paste it again as a new layer, and delete all the bottom layers and done. 

Thanks for the patient help! This worked like a charm, and as soon as I added the background to event_backgrounds it worked great. Thank you!

Edited by Pedrisimo101