3ds max import issues

Hello, friends, im having trouble with importing models into 3ds Max. I have 2010 64x and 2009 32X (long story) with what i believe to be the proper pluggins.

When i import a skeleton, THEN import a model on top of it, the arms get kinda screwy. When i import a model WITH a skeleton at the same time, it gets even more screwy. This only happens on the Dismemberment and Skin layers but not on the Edit Mesh layer and as an added bonus, if i import hands or feet and a body model, none of the seams line up in any combination of Edit and skin layers.

I asked this on the nexus, but unsurprisingly, nobody responded. I've also followed many tutorials (all of which are very half-assed) and nobody in the tutorials seem to have this problem.

I am fairly well versed in 3ds max, but anything Gamebryo related has always fought with me to accomplish anything...

Near the bottom of the skin modifier there are options where you can toggle bone scaling to not affect the skinning. Try doing that first. I had the same problems with XP32s older skeletons. If that doesn't work try opening bone tools and check that scaling/stretch aren't causing it. The last things I would try doing is either create a reference pose when you import the skeleton, import the mesh and then reload the reference pose again, and if that doesn't work get the names of the bones used in the skin modifier, save that scene with the complete skeleton as a max file, create a new scene and import the vanilla skeleton, and then import from the first max scene only the bones missing for the mesh to be skinned.

Archived