Rigging a hard penis to work with animations (solved)

So I may just be an idiot or massively overthinking it, because this seems to be a thing everyone already knows how to do, but I can't find any information at all on how to properly rig the model for a custom penis. No issues getting it to show up in game and work right, and the mesh otherwise works great, I'm just unclear on rigging it for the penis bones specifically. Should I be importing the current WW rig from the animation tutorial page and weight painting to that?

Also, if so, will I need to get a specific werewolf WW rig from somewhere since this is a werewolf penis I'm working on?

I've found a LOT of tutorials and help threads for making animations but very little on creating body parts outside of the XML phase, and I'd deeply appreciate someone explaining the rig situation in a way that could be understood by a mildly concussed border collie. Specifically a border collie that's got a solid grasp of blender but a fairly shaky grasp of how wicked whims functions.

EDIT: So I figured out my problem. It was a goddamn typo. I forgot that the vertex group list names contain two underscores instead of one and didn't figure out what I'd done for months. I am booboo the fool.

The initial advice was very helpful for avoiding any problems I might have had upon fixing the typos though, so still very much appreciated.

Edited by EachUisge
1 hour ago, EachUisge said:

So I may just be an idiot or massively overthinking it, because this seems to be a thing everyone already knows how to do, but I can't find any information at all on how to properly rig the model for a custom penis. No issues getting it to show up in game and work right, and the mesh otherwise works great, I'm just unclear on rigging it for the penis bones specifically. Should I be importing the current WW rig from the animation tutorial page and weight painting to that?

Also, if so, will I need to get a specific werewolf WW rig from somewhere since this is a werewolf penis I'm working on?

I've found a LOT of tutorials and help threads for making animations but very little on creating body parts outside of the XML phase, and I'd deeply appreciate someone explaining the rig situation in a way that could be understood by a mildly concussed border collie. Specifically a border collie that's got a solid grasp of blender but a fairly shaky grasp of how wicked whims functions.

Certainly, it is better to refer to other penises.

I don't know if this is correct as I have never done wolves either, but here is the procedure for humans.

1. https://turbodriver.itch.io/wickedwhims/devlog/139574/creating-basic-animations-in-blender-1 Place this blender rig in this folder. "C:\Users\(user name)\Documents\Sims 4 Studio\Mods"
  2. Prepare the penis mesh. UV_0 and baking are best completed at this stage.
  3. Duplicate the nude lower body, create a penis package file, and export a blender file.
  4. Import or append the penis, replace UV_1 data, and adjust weights. For reference on the position of the penis rig and UV_1, it is recommended to append the models in the link above and compare them before creation.
  5. Check that the weight values are normal, save, and import in S4S.
  6. Repeat this with the test.
  7. Completion!

And penises for wolves would have been available here.

And noir's penis for wolves.

Famous for the best data structure, although there is a fee for this service.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/ts4-werewolves-80042585

If you don't know the data, you can just blender out the data of others. If you still don't know, send us individual blender files. We can help you solve the problem.

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2023 at 7:30 PM, Super anal fucker meiko said:

Certainly, it is better to refer to other penises.

I don't know if this is correct as I have never done wolves either, but here is the procedure for humans.

1. https://turbodriver.itch.io/wickedwhims/devlog/139574/creating-basic-animations-in-blender-1 Place this blender rig in this folder. "C:\Users\(user name)\Documents\Sims 4 Studio\Mods"
  2. Prepare the penis mesh. UV_0 and baking are best completed at this stage.
  3. Duplicate the nude lower body, create a penis package file, and export a blender file.
  4. Import or append the penis, replace UV_1 data, and adjust weights. For reference on the position of the penis rig and UV_1, it is recommended to append the models in the link above and compare them before creation.
  5. Check that the weight values are normal, save, and import in S4S.
  6. Repeat this with the test.
  7. Completion!

And penises for wolves would have been available here.

And noir's penis for wolves.

Famous for the best data structure, although there is a fee for this service.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/ts4-werewolves-80042585

If you don't know the data, you can just blender out the data of others. If you still don't know, send us individual blender files. We can help you solve the problem.

hey sorry for the incredibly delayed response. I've put the .blend file into the folder mentioned and it doesn't seem to have done anything; the rig on exported meshes is exactly the same and I'm still not seeing any way to weight paint my mesh to the added penis bones.

1 hour ago, EachUisge said:

hey sorry for the incredibly delayed response. I've put the .blend file into the folder mentioned and it doesn't seem to have done anything; the rig on exported meshes is exactly the same and I'm still not seeing any way to weight paint my mesh to the added penis bones.

Weight painting is really elementary, so if you don't understand this, it will be "learn blender first before modding". I am not a learned person and do not have the skills to teach.

In terms of data, the rig data is just an extra, and S4S will read it even if the file structure is messed up, as long as a value with the same name as the rig data exists in the vertex group.

1. Append the rig you have just downloaded to the data you wish to weight. Replace it with the armature rig. Then do the weighting.
  2. Normalize, reduce the vertex group limit to 4.
  3. Save and export the data to S4S.
  4. Test, repeat.

It's not the weight painting process itself giving me issues, I've had zero problems with weight painting for anything I've made involving the vanilla rig. My problem is that even after appending the WW rig, adding the relevant vertex groups, weight painting, and importing the mesh to S4S, something is going wrong and I'm pretty sure I'm in some kind of "adding seawater to Roman cement" situation where I'm missing some deeply obvious step that nobody else needed to be told about. I've examined several other packages and meshes by different authors and they don't even appear to have the vertex groups for the WW rig listed.

The point at which I seem to be stuck is that the instructions for getting the custom rig into S4S is to place a file called TURBODRIVER_WickedWhims_Override_Sim_Rig.package into the mod folder, and the only thing to download on that page is a .blend file, so I assume this is where I'm missing something obvious, but I honestly don't know what and if it's any consolation I am painfully aware of how stupid this is.

Edit: found the rig package, it was on a different page. Unfortunately that hasn't worked either.

Edited by EachUisge
  • EachUisge changed the title to Rigging a hard penis to work with animations (solved)