CAS Sims characters not showing up in my gallery

3 hours ago, Fendus said:

I've followed what I believe was the correct method, but alas, nothing is showing up. Please let me know if I am missing some crucial piece of information.

Thank you

I guess you mean that you have downloaded one or more sims from here or other places, and that they are not showing up in your gallery. Correct me if you mean something else. 

The first thing you have to do is unzip the zip file. Different creators organize their sims in different ways, but you will always have "Tray files" most of the time inside a "Tray" folder, and then "custom content" files, sometimes organized in different subfolders. 

Open the "Tray" folder, select all the files there, place them in your own "Tray" folder, inside sims 4 folder. If you do not place those files there the sims will not show up in your gallery. 

Then grab the other files and put them in your "Mods" folder, inside sims 4 folder. 

When you start the game you have to "allow custom content" in game settings. Then when you open your gallery you have to "allow custom content" there too. 

Follow all the above steps and sims will show up in your gallery. 

These are the "tray" files, sometimes they will be together with the other files:

1721208588_Screenshot2023-04-01112450.png.19f03a6f992b541e717b82b08a25e527.png

Other times they will be in a separated "subfolder":

338202498_Screenshot2023-04-01112703.png.8e0ff75dd0e39e6fc5b7564aa34f5ee9.png

Open it and these are the "tray" files:

image.png.e909a2eb03b587ae0ce9a21dc7feb65c.png

Now, I strongly recommend that you check what is inside the sims you have downloaded. There is no problem with the "tray" files, but the other folders and subfolders might content a lot of outdated or broken custom content, multiple "default" replacements (for example multiple versions of different feet replacements that will mess with all your sims), different sliders that might be outdated or simply incompatible with each other and with other sliders you already have, and that can mess with all sims in your save, tuning files from mods that are going to cause errors, even script files that will also nuke your save. So before you blindly "copy-paste" all the files go through them and update them when needed, remove duplicated default replacements or remove them if you already are using a different one, check that the sliders included are compatible with your other sliders, and remove every custom "career", "trait", "aspiration" and files from other mods. 

If you do not do this I can guarantee you that, eventually, you are going to run into troubles to a point where you might nuke your save beyond any way to repair it.

Of course do whatever you want, but do not say you did not get warned ?

Thank you for your quick and detailed response. Yes, I downloaded the files in question from here.

At first I left them in their folders. But after watching a video from here I started splitting the folders.

The Tray folders were copied (removing their folders) into the Tray folder.

For the CC, I initially started doing the same, though to the Mods folder. I notice quite a few files that were seen as duplicates. So I left the CC in their folder, with it renamed. Then copied to the Mods folder.

I have notice CC whilst dressing characters in CAS, but no sis have made their presence known in 'My Librrary' in the gallery.

Shy of deleting all my Tray files I am uncertain how to proceed.

Rgds,

fendus

36 minutes ago, Fendus said:

Thank you for your quick and detailed response. Yes, I downloaded the files in question from here.

At first I left them in their folders. But after watching a video from here I started splitting the folders.

The Tray folders were copied (removing their folders) into the Tray folder.

For the CC, I initially started doing the same, though to the Mods folder. I notice quite a few files that were seen as duplicates. So I left the CC in their folder, with it renamed. Then copied to the Mods folder.

I have notice CC whilst dressing characters in CAS, but no sis have made their presence known in 'My Librrary' in the gallery.

Shy of deleting all my Tray files I am uncertain how to proceed.

Rgds,

fendus

Well, if you are see the custom content then at least we know you have it allowed in settings, that is good. If you have all the tray files inside the tray folder the sims should be showing up in the library. Inside your library view, ho do you have these settings? Try setting it exactly like this:

image.png.db303d6876ba07bb0bc40483354dd6e5.png

You do not need to delete your tray folder. If you have the settings exactly like that, but you do not see the new sims, Move your tray folder somewhere else (just cut-paste it, do not delete it). Create an empty new "Tray" folder inside your sims 4 folder. Download again a couple new sims. Copy all the tray files (be careful to not miss any file) inside your new and empty tray folder. Start the game. Go into your library "My Library". Make sure the "Include custom content" check is ON. If it works now maybe you miss something before. Put back all your other tray files, download again your sims, copy again ALL the tray files into your tray folder, answer YES when asked if you want to overwrite. 

If it does not, please upload a screenshot where we can see the structure of your sims 4 folder and where it is installed, a screenshot of your tray folder where we can see the content (with only a couple new sims please ?) and a screenshot of your gallery where we can see the settings (like i show in the picture above) and the sims in there. 

Edited by LittleRedSonja
typos