A mod that enables ammo usage for companions only

I like the idea of having to keep companions supplied with ammo, and I know there's an ini setting that toggles global NPC ammo usage, but the game doesn't seem balanced around having that enabled. NPCs seem to burn through their ammo too quickly which leads to some uninteresting firefights. An example is when you first enter Concord and raiders are attacking the Minutemen. I had ammo usage turned on for everyone and the firefight between them was over in like 10 seconds because they all ran out of ammo.

So does anyone know of a mod that makes companions use the ammo they have, while leaving all of the other NPCs with infinite ammo?

44 minutes ago, IBAGadget said:

Give your companion a different gun that what they have by default.

They will then use ammo.

Companions only have infinite ammo for their default vanilla weapon.

Any idea if Ivy is different in that regard? I gave her a pipe pistol and some ammo, and she still had the same amount of ammo after a firefight where she definitely fired off a bunch of rounds.

• 3 weeks later...

After playing for longer I've actually changed my stance on this. Companions are terrible at conserving ammo, and having to keep even just one of them supplied with ammo all the time because they waste it so carelessly is a pain, especially in a playthrough where ammo and everything else has been made scarce.