Help isolating an offending nif via crash log.

I used xEdit to find 0000AA3E... it's Landscape under a Temporary sub-section.  However, it doesn't help much because under that is Grass, Rocks, Moss, etc.... how do I go about narrowing it further?  As far as I know, I only Skyland and some Cathedral texture mods that would change the appearance. This CTD was not reproduceable, which leads me to another question.... Why would a nif cause a crash only sometimes? 

If its a matter of the nif taking up too much resources, then how do I know that its the nif and not something else... where the nif was just kinda the straw the broke the camel's back. 

Anywho... I crash once every 2-4 hours now.  It is reasonable to have a game where there are no crashes at all?  Or am I being too persnickety? 

crash-2023-03-12-23-02-56.log

Not sure I'd blame this one on a nif. Sure there's some NiNode and BSTriShape action in the stack, but with the name "Block (0, 0)"? If I had to guess right now I'd say that's a memory-based nif created from the landscape vertex data. I'd be more interested in the mods you have that alter terrain loading, specifically the ones with dlls. Also, since it's not reproduceable it's more likely just something else exploded elsewhere and this thread, which was fiddling with a piece of landscape, got the blame for it. Oh and I assume you did the obvious and loaded your entire loadorder as-is to inspect that 0xaa3e record for changes made by other mods?

If you do think its a nif though, use Notepad++ to search all nif files in all mods for the string "Block (". Bound to only be a couple of those if it is indeed a shrub with a weird node name.

11 hours ago, Jotasran said:

It is reasonable to have a game where there are no crashes at all?

Any time I've crashed in the past 10 years it's because I'd done something stupid. So yes, very reasonable.

2 hours ago, traison said:

Oh and I assume you did the obvious and loaded your entire loadorder as-is to inspect that 0xaa3e record for changes made by other mods?

LOL.  Obvious to smart people like you.  No.  I'll do that tonight.

Edit:  spaced on that ref ID.  I actually did that and came up with nothing.

2 hours ago, traison said:

I'd be more interested in the mods you have that alter terrain loading, specifically the ones with dlls.

Unsure what you mean by terrain loading... other than Skyland I don't believe I do.  Do you mean anything that adds changes to the land or buildings (such as additions by Legacy of the Dragonborn)?

Edited by Jotasran
1 hour ago, Jotasran said:

Unsure what you mean by terrain loading

A mod that claims to fix something to do with loading data. EngineFixesSSE for instance fixes perks being applied twice when a game is loaded. Maybe a bad example, I doubt perks would be the issue here, but that's along the lines of what I'd be looking for.

With this set up, only one other crash log (I culled some mods since then).  When I think I've fix something, I usually get rid of the crash log.  This looked like a Racemenu crash to me... but down lower is some odd Microsoft mentions. 

There was that Nvidia crash, but it only happened the once and I've updated drivers since then.

I've been trying to handle ctds myself when they happen, but maybe I'll post each one and say what I thought it was just to confirm I"m going down the right path.  I would have never guessed "terrain loading" from that 1st log :(

crash-2023-03-12-02-51-54.log

On 3/13/2023 at 4:50 AM, Jotasran said:

I crash once every 2-4 hours now.

I was assuming that meant you had at least one more log you suspected was from the same problem. That latest crash log is something entirely different.